Hard Skool Live !

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sure but I don't think you can apply that logic here since the vocals are 20 years old.

You just don't want it to sound hilarious - is that too much to ask?

If a singer got up at a college 'Battle of the Bands' type show and sang like that, they'd get laughed out the room.

Edited by Pele

1 minute ago, Pele said:

I'm not a singer.

I wasn't once the best singer in the world.

So you have no clue about singing and yet call out an old man who sings high-notes night in and night out, on 3hour+ shows for sounding like he does? 

Hit and miss from time to time sure, but he sure as fuck doesn't sound garbage. Not even close to Vince Neil country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martin Riggs said:

Regarding Hard Skool, I would generally think it’s wise to release songs as singles that you can pull off live. If you can’t or need qualifiers..find something else.  

It takes balls for them to do what they're doing. I'd give him the next couple shows to adjust. He can pull off SOYL, I don't think see why he won't be able to do the same for Hard Skool. 

3 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

So you have no clue about singing and yet call out an old man who sings high-notes night in and night out, on 3hour+ shows for sounding like he does? 

Hit and miss from time to time sure, but he sure as fuck doesn't sound garbage. Not even close to Vince Neil country.

I think he's remarkably close to Vince Neil territory.

And I believe it's down to passion and effort.  He was amazing in ACDC and was levels above what he delivered for GNR.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

You should see all the shows in this leg then, instead of trolling in here from time to time jacking of to 99.

Yeah, maybe that's unfair.

I just don't get how he undoubtedly raised his game several notches for ACDC then immediately dropped back down to his usual level when returning to GNR. 

Maybe the thrill of new, fresh songs (for him)?

Maybe the pressure of winning over the ACDC fans who didn't want him there?

Maybe not being the boss and needing to perform?

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah, maybe that's unfair.

I just don't get how he undoubtedly raised his game several notches for ACDC then immediately dropped back down to his usual level when returning to GNR. 

Maybe the thrill of new, fresh songs (for him)?

Maybe the pressure of winning over the ACDC fans who didn't want him there?

Maybe not being the boss and needing to perform?

Probably having a vocal coach there to tell him when he sucks and how to fix it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sure but I don't think you can apply that logic here since the vocals are 20 years old.

Another reason they should have just recorded the song over from scratch.. 

51 minutes ago, Pele said:

I think he's remarkably close to Vince Neil territory.

Not even remotely close... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Regarding Hard Skool, I would generally think it’s wise to release songs as singles that you can pull off live. If you can’t or need qualifiers..find something else.  

Perfect post!
Just my two cents:

IMO this is the main ‘lesson’ here for Axl, not that he’d care lol, but This is the price one artist should pay once he stops caring about making actual music/art and just pulls some 20 year demo out of the vault just because it leaked and had some positive feedback.
This whole situation makes me kind of sad. I mean, of course I enjoyed the whole hype train around here and been listening to the song on my way to work and whatnot, as I would enjoy anything new from my favorite band at this point. But what  I do feel sorry for is the whole freaking wasted potential that this band has become.  I actually think he did ok on the performance here, as far as his current capacities go, but I wont ever judge those making fun of Axl for don’t being able to perform his “brand new single“ because it’s just plain product of his lack of interest in his own craft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

He sounds like shit and his age is no excuse. He earns a damn well good buck to perform. Put on a good show, do your part. Or, if you are not able to, retire. Just be a dedicated and honest professional. Simples as that.

While I do agree - who cares about age - he is part of the band that charges 100s of $ for their concert.

Also "Are you a singer" or "How would you perform it.." arguments don't stand - as said - we don't charge 100s of $, and other - we have ears...

As I don't agree - we are not obliged to pay those 100s of $ if we don't like what we hear...

Me personally - hard to spend big money for GNR show these days, will save that for artist I appreciate live, but I'll buy an album with new music...

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Because I don't think it's terrible?

Just shows how they're not really following the pattern of Axl, Slither was sub-par on the 1st performance but got better in the next shows. SOYL I can't recall the 1st time they included it on the set, but he is killing that song to this date. 

With a few shows left I expect Axl improving on HS. 

3 hours ago, Cosmo said:

He sounds like shit and his age is no excuse. He earns a damn well good buck to perform. Put on a good show, do your part. Or, if you are not able to, retire. Just be a dedicated and honest professional. Simples as that.

While I agree that he probably could more, like getting a vocal coach, I think at least 95% of the people who went to a gig were happy and satisfied after leaving so there's no need for anybody in this band to retire. Simple as that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cosmo said:

This performance of HS was rough, but I am sure it will improve.  Take note on how Axl sounded night 1 of this tour compared to now, it seems time and doing it a lot always does him good vocally

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

While I agree that he probably could more, like getting a vocal coach, I think at least 95% of the people who went to a gig were happy and satisfied after leaving so there's no need for anybody in this band to retire. Simple as that.

Yeah, it's kinda ironic. Some guys at Internet watch a youtube stream and decide a band should retire while at the same time thousands of audiences leave the shows satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1