Hard Skool Live !

7 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

lol be 59 and sing that fucking song. Let's see if you can do it half good of what he can.

Y'all are too stuck up at the "oh he sounds terrible" "he sounded garbage" bullshit

But keep forgetting he is fucking close to 60 and still belting out AFD/UYI songs performing over 3hrs per show.

but okay let's focus on that he sounds garbage, like the troll that you are.

So you need to do the subject that you are critiquing? 

Are you a singer? If not, how do you know it's good?

9 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

lol be 59 and sing that fucking song. Let's see if you can do it half good of what he can.

Y'all are too stuck up at the "oh he sounds terrible" "he sounded garbage" bullshit

But keep forgetting he is fucking close to 60 and still belting out AFD/UYI songs performing over 3hrs per show.

but okay let's focus on that he sounds garbage, like the troll that you are.

so you think just because the guy is almost 60 and singing for almost 3 hours we should all be happy and forget that he sounds bad? people get excited because he has a second or 2 here and there that he sounds half decent.  wouldnt be half as bad if the ticket price was not as high

2 hours ago, mingsubu said:

So you need to do the subject that you are critiquing? 

Are you a singer? If not, how do you know it's good?

You should have some sort of formal experience or knowledge about said topic. To be credible.

Otherwise it's just a really uniformed, laymen POV.

Can you really be a credible critic of anything w/o having a wealth of knowledge and/or vast background on the subject?

You can be a laymen and have a dearth of knowledge yet still know what you like and don't like.

However to truly be taken seriously as a critic and to have a worthwhile opinion, yes, it surely helps to have some sort of experience and background with whatever you are judging.

I'm sure everyone here has at some point in their lives has reversed their opinion about something they previously weren't all that knowledgeable about. You know why? Because becoming more educated and more experienced about any topic invariably alters your view of it.

That said, being highly educated and/or experienced (or even an expert) doesn't also mean that person is right about anything and everything related to that subject. But it does lend a lot more credibility to their opinion(s).

Edited by thunderram

As usual, the truth is on both sides, and there are more points of view, all valid. 
On the one hand, it’s a hell of a song to be done live, it’s up there with Oh My God, which apparently wasn’t easy for him to do live even 20 years ago. So he did a good job IMO.
On the other hand, a certain question begs to be asked – namely why the hell does he choose a song like that to be a single in 2021 when he knows he’ll have to do it live sooner or later? Silkworms sucks, I barely count that as a single, but as the second – more GNR – song, he could have chosen something like Atlas, with less rasp, slower, easier to sing. 
I’m glad HS is out, cool tune (terrible sound on the YT version, but I expect no less than crystal clear on the single/EP), but his choices remain a mystery. Maybe he just wants to show everyone he can still do it all. Which could be why he sings it on his own instead of letting Duff do some parts in turns. 

35 minutes ago, thunderram said:

You should have some sort of formal experience or knowledge about said topic. To be credible.

Otherwise it's just a really uniformed, laymen POV.

Can you really be a credible critic of anything w/o having a wealth of knowledge and/or vast background on the subject?

You can be a laymen and have a dearth of knowledge yet still know what you like and don't like.

However to truly be taken seriously as a critic and to have a worthwhile opinion, yes, it surely helps to have some sort of experience and background with whatever you are judging.

I'm sure everyone here has at some point in their lives has reversed their opinion about something they previously weren't all that knowledgeable about. You know why? Because becoming more educated and more experienced about any topic invariably alters your view of it.

That said, being highly educated and/or experienced (or even an expert) doesn't also mean that person is right about anything and everything related to that subject. But it does lend a lot more credibility to their opinion(s).

What he said. 

1 hour ago, scottish nutter said:

so you think just because the guy is almost 60 and singing for almost 3 hours we should all be happy and forget that he sounds bad? people get excited because he has a second or 2 here and there that he sounds half decent.  wouldnt be half as bad if the ticket price was not as high

No one is forcing you to watch. Us here in this forum have seen Axl working on himself. Since the start of the NITL there's been ups and downs but on this leg, Axl's efforts are evident on the shows. Rasping when he can, hitting notes men of his age shouldn't hit, him losing weight, more interactive lately with the crowd. Oh and 2 "new" songs released in between. To say I'm happy with what GN'R is doing right now is an understatement buddy. 

10 hours ago, Pele said:

Yeah, maybe that's unfair.

I just don't get how he undoubtedly raised his game several notches for ACDC then immediately dropped back down to his usual level when returning to GNR. 

Maybe the thrill of new, fresh songs (for him)?

Maybe the pressure of winning over the ACDC fans who didn't want him there?

Maybe not being the boss and needing to perform?

His voice isn't as strong anymore, simple as that. You can clearly hear that.. even Jungle is hard on him. 2016 vs now is night and day. 

wonder if he got a vocal coach any more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

As usual, the truth is on both sides, and there are more points of view, all valid. 
On the one hand, it’s a hell of a song to be done live, it’s up there with Oh My God, which apparently wasn’t easy for him to do live even 20 years ago. So he did a good job IMO.
On the other hand, a certain question begs to be asked – namely why the hell does he choose a song like that to be a single in 2021 when he knows he’ll have to do it live sooner or later? Silkworms sucks, I barely count that as a single, but as the second – more GNR – song, he could have chosen something like Atlas, with less rasp, slower, easier to sing. 
I’m glad HS is out, cool tune (terrible sound on the YT version, but I expect no less than crystal clear on the single/EP), but his choices remain a mystery. Maybe he just wants to show everyone he can still do it all. Which could be why he sings it on his own instead of letting Duff do some parts in turns. 

Atlas sucks. Would be a total bomb as a single.

HS is hard to sing but it promotes the band in a much better way. Hard, fast and catchy. Shows will sell out no matter what.

• Like 2

Just now, kingcanyon said:

why does it? Just remember that was a demo that got leaked for all we know it could have turned into a better song with new lyrics/vocals unless Pele says anything about it

It sounds like a messed up Catcher. The demo does not justify releasing it as a single and that is all we can base our opinions on. Not the type of song that will go down well with a crowd who expects another Jungle. On an album it could be fine I guess.

1 hour ago, LAGuns87 said:

Atlas sucks. Would be a total bomb as a single.

HS is hard to sing but it promotes the band in a much better way. Hard, fast and catchy. Shows will sell out no matter what.

That was just an example. And it would still have been better than Silkworms, I mean Absurd. 

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

I agree. I think Perhaps would've been the best choice. Easy to sing verses, just a little mickey in the chorus and it would be easy to get by. HS I'm glad to hear but god it's brutal for Axl. Not an easy song at all.

12 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I agree. I think Perhaps would've been the best choice. Easy to sing verses, just a little mickey in the chorus and it would be easy to get by. HS I'm glad to hear but god it's brutal for Axl. Not an easy song at all.

Atlas should be pretty easy for Axl to sing too. It has many high notes, but very little rasp, and it's pretty clean in the studio version.

It's not exactly single material, IMO. Perhaps would be perfect as the next single. 

2 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

why does it? Just remember that was a demo that got leaked for all we know it could have turned into a better song with new lyrics/vocals unless Pele says anything about it

It meanders along and doesn't really go anywhere. I think this is an issue at its core, and no amount of copy/pasting/rearranging will really fix that. The best thing about it is really Brian May, and they probably won't keep him in even though they should.

6 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It meanders along and doesn't really go anywhere. I think this is an issue at its core, and no amount of copy/pasting/rearranging will really fix that. The best thing about it is really Brian May, and they probably won't keep him in even though they should.

Are you talking about Perhaps, or Atlas? If the latter, I agree. The song starts out very strong, then sort of falls on it's face. I believe it's suitable for an album release (a step above UYI filler) for sure, but not as a single.

I love Perhaps as it leaked in 2019, rough mix from 2000. Just needs a final mix and master. Robin's (presumably) guitar parts are fucking on fire, especially the high note in the beginning of his solo. I know Slash can do the song justice, but I love Robin's solo so damn much, as I do his Zodiac 13 solo too.

4 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

No one is forcing you to watch. Us here in this forum have seen Axl working on himself. Since the start of the NITL there's been ups and downs but on this leg, Axl's efforts are evident on the shows. Rasping when he can, hitting notes men of his age shouldn't hit, him losing weight, more interactive lately with the crowd. Oh and 2 "new" songs released in between. To say I'm happy with what GN'R is doing right now is an understatement buddy. 

We saw Alice cooper last night, hes in his 70's.  Sounds great and puts out a new album of good material almost every year.  Age has NOTHING to do with it

4 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

So since he finally started doing things he should’ve already been doing he is now immune from criticism? That sounds delusional and is not how it works. Things are getting better but there’s still much room for improvement.

41 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

So since he finally started doing things he should’ve already been doing he is now immune from criticism? That sounds delusional and is not how it works. Things are getting better but there’s still much room for improvement.

at least there is an improvement and it's quite a significant one when you consider the fact that Axl didn't release shit in almost 13 years. It's relative to what Gn'R usually manages to accomplish, not just other bands.

Like a fat person that lost weight but is still considered fat. You compliment them on their progress, not point out that they're still fat compared to your skinny friends.

Edited by Rovim