Motivation or vocal issue?

i was watching some AXL/DC videos and what the fuck dude, was some kind of 92 axl there full range and rasp, i really can t understand why in guns he doesnt sing like that, i mean 2016 standard was good but that was EPIC i mean was axl from the 90s kinda deal 

look from 2:41 adn 3:11 is the 90s axl right there after the 2013 or 2014 who would say that was even posssible in terms of his voice?? i cant really undestand what is going on

Edited by downzy
Removed YouTube link.

The reason he doesn't sing like that in GNR, is because he sang like that in AC/DC. He pushed his voice to its limits singing Hell's Bells, Back In Black, etc. and it's been deteriorating since then. The constant NITL touring certainly didn't help. He sounds a bit better in 2021 than he did in 2019-20, but he clearly still damaged his voice.

If Angus called him tomorrow and asked him to do more shows, even if Axl wanted to do it, he wouldn't sound anything like he did 5 years ago.

As far as GNR in 2016 - he brought the powerful raspy voice when he needed to, in WTTJ, OTGM, etc. but he was never gonna sing SCOM, Estranged or November Rain like that.

Guns songs are just more vocally challenging. It’s the constant change of vocal registers and going in between them that seems to give him issues. If all he had to do was belt high notes with “rasp”, it would most likely be more consistent. 

If he wasn’t prepared to tour, he’d blow his voice out the first week of shows

• Like 3

I think he's probably done some damage to his voice, although he has admitted himself that he doesn't use a vocal coach and the only time he'd used one in years was for ACDC, so I wouldn't personally describe just going out and singing and sounding however you sound as trying your best.

I think it is a mix of reasons:

- For GN'R he has settled on easier way to sing certain demanding songs with less distortion. Work-arounds. That's a decision he can make for his own music but as a guest vocalist for another band he has to do whatever he can to be faithful to the originals.

- Axl pushed himself vocally when he came up with the vocal melodies for many GN'R songs. he wrote parts that was challenging to him, because he wanted the songs to be as great as possible. Unfortunately, this means that now that he has gotten older and his voice isn't as malleable and flexible as it was when he was younger, some of these vocal melodies have gotten too difficult. For AC/DC songs, although definitely challenging in their own ways, it worked better with his current voice.

- Axl probably got extra motivated when doing AC/DC and was more willing to take risks of hurting his voice. It was important for him to give it all he got. He knew bad performances would be terrible for his "legacy', if you will.

• Like 3

His voice just isn't there in terms of the rasp anymore, it was already weakening and starting to get more gruff during 2017 and we started to see the struggles start in 2018 (those TIL performances for example where his voice just dropped away).

ACDC probably did cause damage, not training his voice and preserving it combined with alot of wear and tear from touring has done his mid range completely as well.

Sadly I think despite coping better on this tour with his limits, we aren't far from a tour where his voice utterly gives out on the high range and he HAS to sing low, at least at the start of the tour. It will be a sad day but nearly every first gig of the leg has been worse than the last.

50 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

my bad i thought it was only to gnr videos

Unfortunately no.

The knives have been out for us for awhile, so anything that violates copyright and gets posted here is a potential strike against the forum if we allow it to stay up.  

• Like 1

It's just strained. Saying that, 2013 was one of the weakest years of his career. If he can come back from that I think he can come back from this. A break, vocal coach and trying would help greatly. It'll never be peak but I think it Coul come close.

• Like 1