Motivation or vocal issue?

2 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

Thank god the tour is over, plenty of time for Axl to get freaking surgery on his throat.

Is there a known surgery that "re-rasps vocals" or de-ages? lol I think that surgeries that aren't health related for vocals would be playing Russian Roulette with bullets in every chamber

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Is there a known surgery that "re-rasps vocals" or de-ages? lol I think that surgeries that aren't health related for vocals would be playing Russian Roulette with bullets in every chamber

i think a voice lift will fix mickey problems. his clean voice could  sound like 01-02..

he would have to re-learn how to rasp.

• Like 1

I believe it's both, sort of. I think Axl suffered use-related damage to his vocal chords from that gargantuan UYI tour (you can hear it when he performs at the HOF with Springsteen), but I also think a lot of it is him trying to purposefully not do even more damage, and that's why you heard what you heard when he sang for AC/DC. No, even when it gives it his all, he's not 1988 Axl. But he can get a hell of a lot closer than he current is, if he wants to. He just doesn't want to, because he's trying keep his throat from ripping apart again.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Nintari said:

I believe it's both, sort of. I think Axl suffered use-related damage to his vocal chords from that gargantuan UYI tour (you can hear it when he performs at the HOF with Springsteen), but I also think a lot of it is him trying to purposefully not do even more damage, and that's why you heard what you heard when he sang for AC/DC. No, even when it gives it his all, he's not 1988 Axl. But he can get a hell of a lot closer than he current is, if he wants to. He just doesn't want to, because he's trying keep his throat from ripping apart again.

i don t really think he can do that now, he seems really struggling 

For what it’s worth I think he sounds fine. We can’t expect vocalists to always sound like they were in their prime. Look at Sebastian Bach for instance he’s playing the whole Slave to the Grind album and for instance listen to Wasted Time. He doesn’t sound like how he sounded in 91 any more. Give Axl some credit. 

and honestly when we are singing GnR in the car we have some part Mickey too!!!

27 minutes ago, MattleyCrue said:

For what it’s worth I think he sounds fine. We can’t expect vocalists to always sound like they were in their prime. Look at Sebastian Bach for instance he’s playing the whole Slave to the Grind album and for instance listen to Wasted Time. He doesn’t sound like how he sounded in 91 any more. Give Axl some credit. 

and honestly when we are singing GnR in the car we have some part Mickey too!!!

What, we all sing like Mickey? Lol, maybe you do.

Singer voices usually change somewhat as they get older, or suffer damage. Nothing like axl though. 

Something else is going on with axl. The Mickey falsetto/getting his balls stepped on is strange.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, WhazUp said:

AFAIK, many singers get laser surgery to remove scar tissue from their vocal folds. Since several raspy singers have gone through it and swear by it (Rod Stewart, Steven Tyler come to mind), it might not be out of the question. It isn't a health-related surgery either (unlike, say, removing vocal nodules), and it seems pretty safe. Still, it's not magic. He's pushing 60. Leaning how to tackle his material more sensibly would be a better bet IMO.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, Alexmee239 said:

This comment says all about the quality and standards of 2021 shows. 

It wasn't bad though🤔 I mean what quality standard are you expecting 30yrs after the song was released? It sounds decent fir 30yrs later. If coma was the new single and he was falling over himself on that outro fair enough, throw some punches! But he did a decent job on it and it's far better than some other attempts at the song when they played it every night from 2017-2019.  

I think some people need to adjust their expectations to reality and that Axl is older and can't be expected to come on and sing Jungle with same piss and vinegar he did on AFD. The last couple of shows had some great moments! if you're complaining about those gigs then you're just not ever going to be pleased by anything gnr do in the future.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 1:06 AM, felixGNR said:

i think a voice lift will fix mickey problems. his clean voice could  sound like 01-02..

he would have to re-learn how to rasp.

It actually makes your voice cleaner and possibly higher for a short time afterwards. A voice operation is only necessary if you have pain or nodules and can't hit the notes. Axls clean voice is there because it takes less effort than singing with full force like he did in the years previous.

I still believe that the problem is not that he does not sing rasp, but the problem is his cardiorespiratory resistance. If he had a good resistance, even his Mickey (2001-02 is clean, not Mickey) would sound quite decent, but the reality is different…

If he rehearsed for every concert and had a cardio routine, he would be 100% for his age. You can have all the talent in the world, but without practice and discipline all potential is lost.