TWAT ’06 Appreciation

Have you listened to TWAT at Hammerstein ’06? It’s an amazing version and Axl sings like the Olympus, the high note is perfect and the verses as in the studio version. But, I heard the second time the song was played in 2006, in Madrid. Shit, if the Hammerstein was amazing, this is perfect. Axl sings the high note as high (even louder, I think) than in the studio version, and makes it even twice as high as the studio version.

Many probably didn’t like that time, but Axl was a barbarian thing back then, mostly in 2006. What a fucking way to sing—his voice was so versatile, good scraping but clean at times (no, not Mickey like since 2011), with brutal screams and those high notes. A pity that the CD did not come out that year, I think it was the ideal for the album release.

PS: It is also good to highlight how incredible the band sounded. I love the classic GNR but the lineups from 2001-08 played really well too. Specifically on TWAT I say, Finck and Bumble were on fire, although I’m sorry Buckethead left before that.

• Like 1

TWAT was played at the first Hammerstein shows (12-05-2016) and i guess it was played in 17th date also.

It was played in Madrid (gig before RIR Lisbon) and, if my memory isn't failing, they didn't play anymore until 2009.

I remember that the first perfomance was a masterpiece. The other Hammerstein perfomance is good, but not close to the 12th. Madrid had a lot of sound issues.

‘06 is low key peak Axl… He obviously took the heat he got from the ‘02 VMA’s to heart. His vocal control and range unmatched that run, if you what pure rasp sure 2010 or the AC/DC tour… But 06 he was firing on all cylinders and had his least cringe fashion sense as a bonus haha… Too bad Merk couldn’t get the album out during that tour. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

It was played in Madrid (gig before RIR Lisbon) and, if my memory isn't failing, they didn't play anymore until 2009.

yes, I think they played it on late 2009 in Japan if my memory serves. TWAT to me is the best CD song, in many aspects, Axl is outstanding and bucket's solo is a beautiful piece. 

8 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

yes, I think they played it on late 2009 in Japan if my memory serves. TWAT to me is the best CD song, in many aspects, Axl is outstanding and bucket's solo is a beautiful piece. 

They played it in Taipei, first gig of 2009 tour.
Long time ago I’ve listened to that Hamilton 2010 version, but the audio quality was very poor.