Axl's voice in the mid-late 90s

I've been listening to Sympathy for the Devil, Oh my God and Hard School quite a lot over the past few days. It seems to me that Axl's voice is quite similar in all three songs. In some ways it seems to lack the distortion of his early 90s voice, but at the same time it sounds to me to be very strong. Was Axl's voice like this in the mid-late 90s? Or is it just a singing style that he can turn on and off?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, axl666 said:

I've been listening to Sympathy for the Devil, Oh my God and Hard School quite a lot over the past few days. It seems to me that Axl's voice is quite similar in all three songs. In some ways it seems to lack the distortion of his early 90s voice, but at the same time it sounds to me to be very strong. Was Axl's voice like this in the mid-late 90s? Or is it just a singing style that he can turn on and off?

axl is a very talented singer i think he just picks when he wants to sound good. for all we know he could still lay down good vocals in the studio

The quality of his distortion is what he lost the earliest and will never get back. His power levels on the other hand were on the rise in the late 90s before peaking in the early to mid 00s. In 2009/2010 he seems to have perfected his "new rasp" and had a great year, but he's been losing power since then. And of course the ever deteriorating distortion.

We should pray he laid down some vocals between 2001 and 2010.

• Like 2

It’s hard to argue 2001 as one of his best years as a live performer due to there only being 4 shows in total, but that House of Blues Show may just be the greatest front to back GNR concert I’ve ever heard. Studio quality vocals and incredible instrumentation throughout. He was at the peak of his powers as an artist and chanter throughout the Chinese sessions IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Honestly his re-recording of YCBM for Live Era is one of my favorite Axl vocals ever laid to tape (even if it was presented as a "live" vocal lol)

What's weird on that is how he left the bridge alone. There's a few songs like that where, despite re-recording the rest of the song, he left a phrase or a line alone. Such a strange album. :lol:

I'm with you though. I feel that way about his vocals on Rocket Queen. Probably the most flawless studio vocal Axl ever recorded.

• Like 1

I made a thread on this last year. We'll never know how he would have sounded live between 1994-2000 unfortunately. There are however a handful of songs he recorded between then that show he was using more clean vocals and the rasp was used for more of an effect rather than throughout whole songs. Hard to believe something like Hard School was technically recorded in the same decade as YCBM, Dead Horse, Coma.

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

What's weird on that is how he left the bridge alone. There's a few songs like that where, despite re-recording the rest of the song, he left a phrase or a line alone. Such a strange album. :lol:

I'm with you though. I feel that way about his vocals on Rocket Queen. Probably the most flawless studio vocal Axl ever recorded.

Yeah, it is strange!  Used to Love Her is like that too I think, where it starts off with the original take and then morphs into the new one, as if we GNR educated people wouldn't notice lol.  That RQ is fire too, honestly I think it is a shame we never got to hear a tour with Axl sounding like that live for real

15 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I hope the '98 or '99 re-recorded AFD surfaces one of these days, mostly to hear Axl. He sounded great in the second half of Sweet Child.

That SCOM part is incredibly hard to sing and may be the best example how much subtletly Axl lost between 86 and 99. It sounds great with the new take but you can clearly hear what is missing from his voice.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 7:31 PM, Sweersa said:

I hope the '98 or '99 re-recorded AFD surfaces one of these days, mostly to hear Axl. He sounded great in the second half of Sweet Child.

I might have read from a user here that there was only some songs that were recorded and not a full album. It was such a huge missed opportunity that they didnt perform at Woodstock 99 which they were rumored for. They had SCOM from Big Daddy, and Oh My God could've still been released as planned a few months later. It bugs me to no end that we missed a chunk of 1990s Axl live. His vocals might have diminished somewhat but he was getting into shape by 1999 and would've sounded like he did on Chinese. Just some select dates for a few years would've been huge and we could've also seen more of the various nu Guns lineups.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I think he 100% could.. He knows the days he is feeliing it and he can take as many takes as he wants.. Brian Johnson still sounds pretty much the same in the studio.. 

I was blown away by Brian vocals on Power Up . Sounds like he was 20 years younger. If he or The production Made him sound like that Axl definetly can do it too

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mystery said:

I might have read from a user here that there was only some songs that were recorded and not a full album. It was such a huge missed opportunity that they didnt perform at Woodstock 99 which they were rumored for. They had SCOM from Big Daddy, and Oh My God could've still been released as planned a few months later. It bugs me to no end that we missed a chunk of 1990s Axl live. His vocals might have diminished somewhat but he was getting into shape by 1999 and would've sounded like he did on Chinese. Just some select dates for a few years would've been huge and we could've also seen more of the various nu Guns lineups.

I couldn't agree more!