Why Can't you listen to OMG Outside North America

14 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

The issue was two fold. The song did fit amongst the vibe and bands on that soundtrack. However that phase in popular music was well past it’s peak culturally by 98/1999

2nd was that the movie wasn’t very good commercially  

while the song did fit very well with the rest of the musicians on the soundtrack, it's not like Oh My God actually sounded like those other tunes, it wasn't pure industrial or as modern as the other tunes from those bands, it still had more classic hard rock feel to it imo and things like a disco beat from Josh and a lot of fills with some lead guitars and more old school tones.

I think the problem was that it wasn't accessible enough to Gn'R fans. To the audience it needed to recapture. Fantastic Four was a dud as well, so it wasn't just about the movie it was attached to. Without that bad movie (End Of Days) the song wouldn't exist in its current form though.

I agree that it's also about timing. Slash released Slither in 2004 which was perfect cause there was a short window there where people missed and wanted that old school hard rock flavor with the big riff and the sleaze and no one can do that like Slash does it.

my guess is that even if Oh My God had the perfect production for rock audiences and the perfect mix, it would've probably still fallen flat and wouldn't have been received well anyway cause it was too different to properly function as the first single. It's more of a deep cut imo. A big gun that should have been saved for fans to discover as part of the album.

Edited by Rovim

49 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Interesting, is the same for Going Down and Silkworms? The isolated guitar (in the channel) doesn't sound like Buckethead to me. These are the mixes that have Axl in only one channel, with most of the instrumental, and the other channel is just (presumably) Bumble's guitars. 

No, Going Down seems to have Bucket only in those last few chorus repetitions (trading leads with Robin). Silkworms is mostly Bumble. Bucket plays the very last lead, around the 3:00 mark. 

i always thought the omg leak was all bumble in one channel, from his early recording sessions how he sent tracks over with his parts on. same as going down and silkworms? where's this bucket thing come from?

50 minutes ago, Rovim said:

while the song did fit very well with the rest of the musicians on the soundtrack, it's not like Oh My God actually sounded like those other tunes, it wasn't pure industrial or as modern as the other tunes from those bands, it still had more classic hard rock feel to it imo and things like a disco beat from Josh and a lot of fills with some lead guitars and more old school tones.

I think the problem was that it wasn't accessible enough to Gn'R fans. To the audience it needed to recapture. Fantastic Four was a dud as well, so it wasn't just about the movie it was attached too. Without that bad movie (End Of Days) the song wouldn't exist in its current form though.

I agree that it's also about timing. Slash released Slither in 2004 which was perfect cause there was a short window there where people missed and wanted that old school hard rock flavor with the big riff and the sleaze and no one can do that like Slash does it.

my guess is that even if Oh My God had the perfect production for rock audiences and the perfect mix, it would've probably still fell flat and wouldn't had beeen received well anyway cause it was too different to properly function as the first single. It's more of a deep cut imo. A big gun that should have been saved for fans to discover as part of the album.

its not unreasonable to think if End of Days hadnt happened omg would be just an instrumental on the village disks!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

No, Going Down seems to have Bucket only in those last few chorus repetitions (trading leads with Robin). Silkworms is mostly Bumble. Bucket plays the very last lead, around the 3:00 mark. 

This is the first time I've heard of anyone thinking those guitar parts are not Bumblefoot. I have a fairly keen ear for Bucket, and the isolated leads in one of the channels doesn't sound like him at all. It just sounds like Bumble playing over the older instrumental (with Bucket's parts, save for the solo) and Axl's vocals.

I could be wrong, but I have not heard anyone else suggest this.

30 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

This is the first time I've heard of anyone thinking those guitar parts are not Bumblefoot. I have a fairly keen ear for Bucket, and the isolated leads in one of the channels doesn't sound like him at all. It just sounds like Bumble playing over the older instrumental (with Bucket's parts, save for the solo) and Axl's vocals.

I could be wrong, but I have not heard anyone else suggest this.

I've been saying this for years actually. It's pretty clear to me, not only because of Bucket's tone, but also his style.

The 99 version of "Oh My God" was officially released as part of the "End of Days" soundtrack. On the movie itself it was played during the movie credits at the end of the movie.

It was also released as a single and a promo single cd was also sold on websites like ebay.

Axl himself was quoted as saying that the song wasn't ready for release and therefore it was just a rough demo. It was said somewhere else on an interview (don't remember where) that it was Jimmy Iovine that rushed the release of the song.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I've been saying this for years actually. It's pretty clear to me, not only because of Bucket's tone, but also his style.

If so, that is cool. I've always wanted to hear the Bucket version. Too bad we didn't get a proper or better mix of that.

21 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

The 99 version of "Oh My God" was officially released as part of the "End of Days" soundtrack. On the movie itself it was played during the movie credits at the end of the movie.

It was also released as a single and a promo single cd was also sold on websites like ebay.

Axl himself was quoted as saying that the song wasn't ready for release and therefore it was just a rough demo. It was said somewhere else on an interview (don't remember where) that it was Jimmy Iovine that rushed the release of the song.

I hope the song gets completed and released. The newer leaked version sounds different than the one that Axl described in the 2008 chats as: "There’s a remix w/lots of new vocals and a wilder guitar intro but it’s not taken all that seriously."

Earlier that year in an email, there was something labeled as: "OMG2 ?" contained on a CD2 song list.

11 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

A song that’s released, in my opinion, isn’t a demo. It would personally be lame to me to see it redone with Slash and Duff.

I Agree with that i think they should keep it really or maybe add a real solo or places for axl to breathe a bit more

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

A song that’s released, in my opinion, isn’t a demo. It would personally be lame to me to see it redone with Slash and Duff.

Listening to the song there really isn't much to add them to anyway, the guitar solo sections are fairly short and sparse, the bass is more there to support the low end than to have an actual distinctive part, etc.  I like OMG and think it is a cool track, but I wouldn't want any other studio work done on it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

its not unreasonable to think if End of Days hadnt happened omg would be just an instrumental on the village disks!

yeah maybe or Axl could have turned the instrumental into something else, there is no way to know really. Glad that didn't happen.

He should have waited if he wasn't totally satisfied with Oh My God but I think he got a little too excited to do that. Even though I wish he saved it for the album, you can never predict how your audience will react to a new song imo.

Slash said no one in his band liked his Slither riff and he kept telling them it was good so sometimes not even your band members can see the potential and that ended up winning a grammy.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:24 PM, rumandraisin said:

Wrong. Arnold has listened to the song with vocals. He sent that disc to his the producers of the Film and they made sure that the song would be available on the soundtrack. 

Edited by Sosso