David Lee Roth announces he’s retiring!

gunsguy

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It must be health reasons, can't imagine him retiring otherwise, he loves the attention too much.

I don't think these kids had any idea who he was,

I hope it's not, but my guess is you're right. That "rear view" comment...

• Like 1

Glad I got to see Roth with Van Halen back in 2013. What a night that was - Stone Music festival in Australia, Van Halen co-headlining with Aerosmith, and Matt Sorum’s Kings of Chaos on the bill too. Festival was poorly marketed, and poorly executed, but man… what a monster line up of bands. And I’m glad I got to see EVH shredding through all those classic tunes.

As for Roth, I hope he’s ok, but he’s implying that he’s not in the best of health either.

Gene Simmons is an arse. Thank you, Diamond Dave!

I personally don’t think DLR was as bad vocally as some made out, but I wasn’t checking his shows out and he seemed on form on that Van Halen run in 2015, at least to my ears of the footage I’d seen.

7 hours ago, Dean said:

Gene Simmons is an arse. Thank you, Diamond Dave!

I personally don’t think DLR was as bad vocally as some made out, but I wasn’t checking his shows out and he seemed on form on that Van Halen run in 2015, at least to my ears of the footage I’d seen.

Yeah I always thought he got a bad wrap as a vocalist. He wasn't amazing but he held his own in his day. Also his solo stuff (especially the first two records) are really fun.

• Like 1

With Dave it was never so much the lack of vocal ability as much as he just simply didn't care. The showmanship was always first and foremost. Listen to that Tokyo Dome album. At best he talks and mumbles his way through most of the songs. He certainly could still sing if he wanted to but, for whatever reason, he always took that approach.

That said, the guy is a legend and way back when he was pretty untouchable as a frontman. He's earned this retirement but I imagine serious health issues because it seems real sudden. I hope I'm wrong and that he's okay.

Last saw DLR in 2012 on the Different Kind of Truth tour, he was vocally more spotty than the 2007 VH tour I caught but still as energetic and entertaining as ever. I hope I can have the kind of energy he still has when I get that old lol