So...whats next?

11 hours ago, axlvai said:

Slash want that post uyis i believe... Axl dont

I don't think it's the same. Guns went from straight hard rock with Appetite to some acoustic tunes Lies and a whole different beast wity UYI. So Slash wanted more alike Appetite or UYI? ACDC's albums sounds the same today than 20 years ago

5 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Yeah I can see that argument about semi-retirement. 

For a lot of rock fans, the band are just that though... a one album giant. As much as I love the Illusions, they are generally felt to be bloated. Proof is in the pudding... how many bloody threads do you see on the topic of 'should the Illusions have been one album?'. And that's on fan forums!! Go into any rock club any night of the week and you will absolutely hear a banger from AFD. Ya might hear the odd track from the Illusions as well, but let's be honest... nobody gives a shit about The Spaghetti Incident and I've never once heard anything be played from Chinese Democracy in a club or rock bar. I do recall Planet Rock radio in the UK playing TWAT once or twice back around 2008/09. But that's it. GNR did not capitalise on their stellar debut

nobody give a shit about those rock club´s either 

11 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Better tell the people who attend them then! 

Pre-pandemic there were a number of decent rock drinking venues in Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

yes don t get me wrong, in terms of music i think the attention goes elsewere like streaming, youtube, songs in movies, just watch the trailer for the new batman one, "something in the way" goes viral those days and happend to be a deep cut nirvana song, a rock club is not a indicator of "mainstream" could be a thing for the rock clubs from you town and maybe idk in... TOLEDO they play locomotive twice a day who knows 

Edited by darkside259

1 hour ago, agustingloger said:

I don't think it's the same. Guns went from straight hard rock with Appetite to some acoustic tunes Lies and a whole different beast wity UYI. So Slash wanted more alike Appetite or UYI? ACDC's albums sounds the same today than 20 years ago

More like AFD. Also UYI had the rocker stuff that Slash wanted. 

41 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

yes don t get me wrong, in terms of music i think the attention goes elsewere like streaming, youtube, songs in movies, just watch the trailer for the new batman one, "something in the way" goes viral those days and happend to be a deep cut nirvana song, a rock club is not a indicator of "mainstream" could be a thing for the rock clubs from you town and maybe idk in... TOLEDO they play locomotive twice a day who knows 

I don't believe I said rock clubs/pubs are an indicator of the mainstream though?! The point I was trying to make is that these are frequented by people of a general like mindedness (i.e. they all like rock/metal music). It is within these establishments, from my experience, one generally hears GNR with relative frequency, though generally the material happens to be from AFD or maybe occasionally UYI. In terms of radio stations here in the UK... GNR wouldn't get a look in on any mainstream radio station. On the rock specific stations they are played more often but again... it's mainly AFD with occasional Lies or UYI tracks. 

21 hours ago, agustingloger said:

You can't complain about ACDC sounding the same. It's exactly what You want to hear from them. I don't want Angus to go experimental shit. Just straight rock and roll

By no means am I complaining. However, this has been what others have been saying about AC/DC for a very long time.  The point is that some view this as a hinderance for AC/DC to be at the level of The Rolling Stones as some people on here were making the comparison. 

Edited by Draguns
typo

3 minutes ago, Draguns said:

By no means am I complaining. However, this has been what others have been saying about AC/DC for a very long time.  The point is that some view this as a hinderance for AC/DC to be at the level of The Rolling Stones as some proper on here were making the comparison. 

No i didn't mean You! But some people Say that about Acdc and makes no sense

On 10/5/2021 at 11:17 PM, allwaystired said:

Haha - you're talking to someone that was a huge fan of Nu-GNR! Still rate those years incredibly highly! 

Me too. Especially the years from 2001 until 2008. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I actually don't mind the album, but I was speaking generally. There are a few good covers on it and a few howlers too! But overall I don't mind it, but rarely listen to it. 

To put it a different way... I'm yet to meet anybody who cites the album as their favourite GNR album. 

Yeah it's not one I see out but something I flip on once in a while. I sure do love Axl's performance on Human Being

20 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

For a lot of rock fans, the band are just that though... a one album giant. As much as I love the Illusions, they are generally felt to be bloated. Proof is in the pudding... how many bloody threads do you see on the topic of 'should the Illusions have been one album?'. And that's on fan forums!! Go into any rock club any night of the week and you will absolutely hear a banger from AFD. Ya might hear the odd track from the Illusions as well, but let's be honest

I know people who clearly prefer the Illusions over Appetite because they're sounding more mature. UYI were way too big to be ignored. I think there are more Illusion songs getting airplay in our local radio stations than AFD songs.

Guns made themselves vulnerable in different occasions but you can't take away their contribution to music history, which was low in quantity but huge in quality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I know people who clearly prefer the Illusions over Appetite because they're sounding more mature. UYI were way too big to be ignored. I think there are more Illusion songs getting airplay in our local radio stations than AFD songs.

Guns made themselves vulnerable in different occasions but you can't take away their contribution to music history, which was low in quantity but huge in quality.

To be fair, I'd likely take a 'best of Illusions' playlist over Appetite. On the proviso I don't have to endure the 9 minutes of open ear surgery that is November Rain! 

• Like 1

To me, none of these albums are really comparable with any of the others, since each of them depict the band in a specific development stage, lineup, sound, and era. AfD is the way it was supposed to be in the 80s, UYI is the way it was supposed to be in the 90s etc. So, Appetite is not better or worse than UYI. And to compare these things with a cover album or with Axl's solo from 2000s is downright nonsensical. Each of them is unique, as was each year, and even tour leg. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

To me, none of these albums are really comparable with any of the others, since each of them depict the band in a specific development stage, lineup, sound, and era. AfD is the way it was supposed to be in the 80s, UYI is the way it was supposed to be in the 90s etc. So, Appetite is not better or worse than UYI. And to compare these things with a cover album or with Axl's solo from 2000s is downright nonsensical. Each of them is unique, as was each year, and even tour leg. 

We are human. We rank shit by preference through subjective bias! GNR have such a small output that the comparisons become a little tedious but such is life. Now, had they actually bothered their arses to release albums like other bands then fair enough, but...  

12 hours ago, Draguns said:

By no means am I complaining. However, this has been what others have been saying about AC/DC for a very long time.  The point is that some view this as a hinderance for AC/DC to be at the level of The Rolling Stones as some people on here were making the comparison. 

Acdc has two problems which is why every song sounds similar. 1. Brian sounds the exact same on every single song. 2. Angus Young always uses the same 1970 gibson sg tuned the same way every single song. 

I love ACDC esp Bon Era but they cannot compete with The Rolling Stones classic legendary albums they released during that period between late 60s and early 70s. Even comparing their tours Mick still sounds great while Brian struggles and sounds terrible. 

No way they are on the same level in my opinion

Edited by vloors
Typo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, vloors said:

Acdc has two problems which is why every song sounds similar. 1. Brian sounds the exact same on every single song. 2. Angus Young always uses the same 1970 gibson sg tuned the same way every single song. 

I love ACDC esp Bon Era but they cannot compete with The Rolling Stones classic legendary albums they released during that period between late 60s and early 70s. Even comparing their tours Mick still sounds great while Brian struggles and sounds terrible. 

I do get your point here. But as a huge DC fan, I am going to say that this run of studio albums is one of the best in hard rock:

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

Highway To Hell 

Back In Black 

For Those About To Rock 

Flick Of The Switch

The last two entires may be slightly controversial but I really like both albums, especially Flick. The lack of variety in Brian's voice though is a valid point. Though I think he has actually sounded better on the last few albums than he did in the 90s. 

7 minutes ago, vloors said:

Mick has never been among the great chanters of his time, he's always known his limits and is one of the greatest frontmen to have ever lived - as a songwriter too, his art speaks for itself. Brian on the other hand, from 1980 to 1983 had one of the greatest voices I've ever heard. I've always said the vocals that were put down on Back In Black are some of the greatest vox ever recorded and the very best that AC/DC put out (I'd say Powerage up to Back In Black) stand up very well against the very best that The Staines put out. Both bands also have put out a lot of filler/shite post '85.

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

We are human. We rank shit by preference through subjective bias! GNR have such a small output that the comparisons become a little tedious but such is life. Now, had they actually bothered their arses to release albums like other bands then fair enough, but...  

I know, that's a valid point. Man, we coulda had tons of releases etc. with other bands, yet we chose GNR. Or rather, GNR chose us! :D

47 minutes ago, Dean said:

Mick has never been among the great chanters of his time, he's always known his limits

People keep mentioning that Mick still sounds so great, but he's barely singing compared to many other singers. He mostly uses that bluesy singing/talking style, and he does that well, but it's really not surprising he's still able to sing like that at his age, it doesn't exactly require that much technique.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vloors said:

I'd take ACDC everyday. Power Up and Black ice were really good. I can't think one song of the stones from 2000 - 2021 that i like... But it's personal. I don't care it sounds the same and how Brian sings live. It's exactly what i expect and want to hear from Acdc

2 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I'd take ACDC everyday. Power Up and Black ice were really good. I can't think one song of the stones from 2000 - 2021 that i like... But it's personal. I don't care it sounds the same and how Brian sings live. It's exactly what i expect and want to hear from Acdc

Rough Justice from A Bigger Bang was alright. This Place Is Empty (Keef track) from same album was alright too. But to be honest that's been the story with most Stones releases post-Undercover in 1983... decent lead single, okay second single, couple of Keef tracks which range in quality, backed with a lot of tracks where The Stones are trying to be The Stones, if that makes sense.

3 hours ago, vloors said:

Nah. No 1 the problems you mention are not problems, that's their style. They have been very, very vocal and adamant about not changing that style and playing music they don't want to play. It's similar, any given song released could be on any of their albums... but at the same time you listen to Powerage and then listen to Back in black and there's a lot of growth there. They haven't just made the same record over and over like some people would have you believe. Those people really don't know fuck all about AC/DC TBH. 

Next the Rolling Stones comparison. Back in black and Highway to hell stand up to ANY Rolling Stones album, just as important, as good and to some much better records than anything the stones put out... we're talking subjectivity here! 

Next Brian VS Mick. Well, Mick does sound and look good! but he always sounded good throughout the years because he didn't really push it, he found a comfortable place to sing and did it over and over. There's no Rolling Stones song that compares to the vocal challenge of singing AC/DC! so yeah, at 70 Brian was feeling the heat when it came to singing Hells bells and some of those super high and difficult songs. Mick Jagger at 20 couldn't sing AC/DC But Brian Johnson at 74 could jump on stage tomorrow with rehearsal and sing a rolling stones set. That's not me being an AC/DC fan shitting on the Rolling Stones OR Mick, it's just a fact that the vocal is less demanding!

• Like 2