So...whats next?

I enjoy AC/DC and GN'R. They are vastly different. If GN'R released an AFD every few years, they would be closer to AC/DC, but they are different. ZZ Top stuff sounds the same too. I like all of the above. GN'R is a band that evolves, especially with CD. CD2 will carry on that trend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

GN'R is a band that evolves, especially with CD. CD2 will carry on that trend.

Oh please! CD was not an evolution, it was a metamorphosis from a edgy, sleazy, bluesy rock 'n' roll band into... eh, I'm actually not sure how I would describe it. To me it's not the same band. Regardless of what it says on the cover. Had it been a solo album, I might take it more seriously. I don't believe I'm alone in this! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Oh, por favor! O CD não foi uma evolução, foi uma metamorfose de uma banda de rock 'n' roll ousada, desprezível e de blues em ... eh, na verdade não tenho certeza de como o descreveria. Para mim não é a mesma banda. Independentemente do que diz na capa. Se fosse um álbum solo, eu poderia levá-lo mais a sério. Eu não acredito que estou sozinho nisso!

Axl Said :

"You are (you’re all alone now)"

On 10/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, Sosso said:

GN'R is much more than just a side project. That's why it's harder to release an album. The expections are much higher. 

If GNR is much more than a side project, how comes it's been treated like one for the last quarter of a century?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

What CD2?  Feels like 2006-2014 all over again!

The next album will likely be a re-worked CD2.

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Oh please! CD was not an evolution, it was a metamorphosis from a edgy, sleazy, bluesy rock 'n' roll band into... eh, I'm actually not sure how I would describe it. To me it's not the same band. Regardless of what it says on the cover. Had it been a solo album, I might take it more seriously. I don't believe I'm alone in this! 

Macro-evolution :D

It's not for everyone, it is my favorite album of all time, and the one that got me into GN'R.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

It's not for everyone, it is my favorite album of all time, and the one that got me into GN'R.

Well ya know what... fair fucks to ya. I've never actually encountered anybody who had that experience with the album but I respect that ya dig it. Just out of interest what were ya listening to beforehand and what got ya hooked into the album? Genuine questions here!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Well ya know what... fair fucks to ya. I've never actually encountered anybody who had that experience with the album but I respect that ya dig it. Just out of interest what were ya listening to beforehand and what got ya hooked into the album? Genuine questions here!

I know there's a few here who have a similar view on it.

Before GN'R, I liked (and still do, for the most part) Cheap Trick, Rush, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Journey, etc. so in the rock realm, though a but lighter than GN'R. Axl's "raspy" voice was actually an acquired taste for me. I preferred his natural, cleaner singing like in parts of Patience, Civil War, Mr. Brownstone, and a lot of Chinese Democracy, both high and low. I like how in songs like Scraped and Sorry he goes all over the place with his many vocal styles. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

51 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I know there's a few here who have a similar view on it.

Before GN'R, I liked (and still do, for the most part) Cheap Trick, Rush, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Journey, etc. so in the rock realm, though a but lighter than GN'R. Axl's "raspy" voice was actually an acquired taste for me. I preferred his natural, cleaner singing like in parts of Patience, Civil War, Mr. Brownstone, and a lot of Chinese Democracy, both high and low. I like how in songs like Scraped and Sorry he goes all over the place with his many vocal styles. 

Aaaaah my word! That's interesting, wish I had asked this earlier! This makes a lot more sense now. So I am actually the opposite (though I like all songs you listed there!) I prefer the more heavier side of GNR. It's So Easy (lyrics aside), Out Ta Get Me, You Could Be Mine, Coma, Locomotive, Oh My God etc. I enjoy laid back tracks like Patience too but I really struggled with some of the more grandiose shit like November Rain, Catcher In The Rye and (specifically) This I Love. Though I will admit I really enjoyed the piano only version of NR on the AFD boxset (and surprised myself to boot!) On paper I should like Absurd and I have genuinely given it a chance. But alas... the repetition of that one verse and the whole weird off beat phrasing on some lines just baffles me! 

Hey, music... it's subjective and that's why we love talking about it! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Aaaaah my word! That's interesting, wish I had asked this earlier! This makes a lot more sense now. So I am actually the opposite (though I like all songs you listed there!) I prefer the more heavier side of GNR. It's So Easy (lyrics aside), Out Ta Get Me, You Could Be Mine, Coma, Locomotive, Oh My God etc. I enjoy laid back tracks like Patience too but I really struggled with some of the more grandiose shit like November Rain, Catcher In The Rye and (specifically) This I Love. Though I will admit I really enjoyed the piano only version of NR on the AFD boxset (and surprised myself to boot!) On paper I should like Absurd and I have genuinely given it a chance. But alas... the repetition of that one verse and the whole weird off beat phrasing on some lines just baffles me! 

Hey, music... it's subjective and that's why we love talking about it! 

I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense now! The new album really should have a re-worked OMG on it. The lyrics to that track alone are awesome. 

Silkworms and Absurd have always (even after official release) needed something they never got to be a good song. Maybe they had a better mix with Buckethead, hopefully we find out someday. 

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoy AC/DC and GN'R. They are vastly different. If GN'R released an AFD every few years, they would be closer to AC/DC, but they are different. ZZ Top stuff sounds the same too. I like all of the above. GN'R is a band that evolves, especially with CD. CD2 will carry on that trend.

ZZ top actually have a quite a varied sound, but if you only know Sharp dressed man and gimme all your lovin', you could be forgiven for thinking they were a one trick pony.

They experimented a lot during the 80s with electronics while still keeping the blues influence 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

ZZ top actually have a quite a varied sound, but if you only know Sharp dressed man and gimme all your lovin', you could be forgiven for thinking they were a one trick pony.

They experimented a lot during the 80s with electronics while still keeping the blues influence 

One of my favorite songs by them is Can't Stop Rockin', in fact, it's the only ZZ Top song I can recall by name.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

You are not alone My friend! I like Chinese and i'm okay with Slash and Duff playing a few songs live because I respect Axl and his work and i respect people who really like it too. But i can't see it as a Guns N Roses album regardless what says on the cover. Is just the same singer and no one else. It is indeed another band. I understand Axl worked his ass off to keep the band n everyting but i really wish he would called it just Axl. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agustingloger said:

You are not alone My friend! I like Chinese and i'm okay with Slash and Duff playing a few songs live because I respect Axl and his work and i respect people who really like it too. But i can't see it as a Guns N Roses album regardless what says on the cover. Is just the same singer and no one else. It is indeed another band. I understand Axl worked his ass off to keep the band n everyting but i really wish he would called it just Axl. 

100% this! It has zero to do with the original GNR in my opinion. I was never a fan of the 3 guitar/3 keyboardist approach either. Especially when nu-Guns initially played an AFD heavy set and the 2 keyboardists were playing percussion!!!! Talk about pointless.

3 hours ago, agustingloger said:

You are not alone My friend! I like Chinese and i'm okay with Slash and Duff playing a few songs live because I respect Axl and his work and i respect people who really like it too. But i can't see it as a Guns N Roses album regardless what says on the cover. Is just the same singer and no one else.

Somewhere Dizzy is crying.

• Haha 3

I've been a part of this group since about 1998 and this feels different. Chinese was this perpetual carrot dangling in front of us, but I think we'll start to see more music coming now. I don't think silence is going to be the norm moving forward. I've been as critical of the band as anyone over the years, but this really feels different. I hope the band proves me right this time. God knows I've waited long enough for this to feel like a productive and again. 

• Like 2

On the topic of CD not feeling like a proper GN'R album: The problem here is the low productivity in the years between Spaghetti and CD. If the band had released a few albums in this time period, with some of the intermediate lineups, there would likely be a more obvious evolution of both lineup and sound. Instead, what we got, was a product after 15 years that was very different from the band's last output. To stay with the evolution analogy, it is like comparing a human to a fish without seeing all the evolutionary steps between.

That being said, for me personally the most distinct aspects of GN'R music that makes it GN'R, is Axl's voice and fairly complex arrangements/song structures, and that was intact. I had also paid enough attention to the the band's history to not be bewildered with both sound and personnel. So I had no problems accepting it as GN'R or as part of the evolution of the band.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On the topic of CD not feeling like a proper GN'R album: The problem here is the low productivity in the years between Spaghetti and CD. If the band had released a few albums in this time period, with some of the intermediate lineups, there would likely be a more obvious evolution of both lineup and sound. Instead, what we got, was a product after 15 years that was very different from the band's last output. To stay with the evolution analogy, it is like comparing a human to a fish without seeing all the evolutionary steps between.

That being said, for me personally the most distinct aspects of GN'R music that makes it GN'R, is Axl's voice and fairly complex arrangements/song structures, and that was intact. I had also paid enough attention to the the band's history to not be bewildered with both sound and personnel. So I had no problems accepting it as GN'R or as part of the evolution of the band.

Yeah I think that's fair enough like on first point. I agree with you. 

What complex song structures are there on Chinese Democracy?! Nothing particularly jumps out at me as being all that complex? Rhythmically most of it is 4/4 or variant and most songs have a verse/chorus structure. 

22 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yeah I think that's fair enough like on first point. I agree with you. 

What complex song structures are there on Chinese Democracy?! Nothing particularly jumps out at me as being all that complex? Rhythmically most of it is 4/4 or variant and most songs have a verse/chorus structure. 

GN'R isn't exactly Liquid Tension Experiment, John Zorn, or King Crimson, are they? :P

At the risk of sounding like a music snob, listen to some more diverse music, y'all, come on.

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

The layers are more complex, with different textures and soundscape. It's not experimental as far as song structures, but at least compared to the original lineup, it has a lot more going on with different tunings (even a drop C in Shacklers) and dynamics. It's not too experimental, sure. 

I'm more interested in the musical direction for the band today. I love the 2000s lineup, but those arrangements work for them, not the current lineup.

Not sure how the current sound would work with the more ambitious Axl songs, like The General - of course, from what we know about the song so far. Would he scrap this material to get a more AFD-style album? Or would Slash and Duff use a more Illusions approach for those kind of tracks? 

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The layers are more complex, with different textures and soundscape. It's not experimental as far as song structures, but at least compared to the original lineup, it has a lot more going on with different tunings (even a drop C in Shacklers) and dynamics. It's not too experimental, sure. 

I'm more interested in the musical direction for the band today. I love the 2000s lineup, but those arrangements work for them, not the current lineup.

Not sure how the current sound would work with the more ambitious Axl songs, like The General - of course, from what we know about the song so far. Would he scrap this material to get a more AFD-style album? Or would Slash and Duff use a more Illusions approach for those kind of tracks? 

The problem with overdub layering is that there is a relative finite frequency bandwidth for each instrument. Like for example, on TWAT there are 6 guitarists credited on the final mix. Now I'm sure there are few parts where all 6 are playing in unison or at same time at least, but the whole things becomes so bloody muddy that it actually detracts from the organic nature of the song... if that makes any sense without sounding like a wanker! Like it's all grand saying there's a fantastic guitar track from player X on song Y that you can only hear if you hook your soundsystem up to clam shells and play in a dark cupboard with a single candle whilst eating a jammie dodger! I appreciate I taking the piss here a bit but ya get my point... I hope. Yes, CD has a load of layers on it... but it's also worth remembering that the title track has 4 or 5 chords! Layering is just compensating for what isn't in the song already. In my opinion, as a musician and annoying sound guy. 

16 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

He played just a few songs on UYI he can go or stay is not that important

I feel sorry for Dizzy at times! He actually adds some nice touches to songs on the Illusions but sometimes gets the blame for the piano being introduced into GNR! His solo album was actually quite good in parts. Reckon he's pissed at Absurd? He apparently wrote the almost Prodigy sounding original, and then all his stuff is wiped when Slash returns!