So...whats next?

32 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I feel sorry for Dizzy at times! He actually adds some nice touches to songs on the Illusions but sometimes gets the blame for the piano being introduced into GNR! His solo album was actually quite good in parts. Reckon he's pissed at Absurd? He apparently wrote the almost Prodigy sounding original, and then all his stuff is wiped when Slash returns! 

He didn't play piano that much on UYI. If You look who play the songs , Axl played the piano in most of the songs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

The problem with overdub layering is that there is a relative finite frequency bandwidth for each instrument. Like for example, on TWAT there are 6 guitarists credited on the final mix. Now I'm sure there are few parts where all 6 are playing in unison or at same time at least, but the whole things becomes so bloody muddy that it actually detracts from the organic nature of the song... if that makes any sense without sounding like a wanker! Like it's all grand saying there's a fantastic guitar track from player X on song Y that you can only hear if you hook your soundsystem up to clam shells and play in a dark cupboard with a single candle whilst eating a jammie dodger! I appreciate I taking the piss here a bit but ya get my point... I hope. Yes, CD has a load of layers on it... but it's also worth remembering that the title track has 4 or 5 chords! Layering is just compensating for what isn't in the song already. In my opinion, as a musician and annoying sound guy. 

I get your point, though I was talking about the different instruments, like orchestra, drum machines and synth/keyboards. 

But about the guitars: most of the CD songs worked really well in this aspect on the Antiquiet leaks. The problem was not that Bumblefoot added extra layers, but that Axl and Caram didn't really made them fit within the arrangement, it's just there on top of the other guitars, nothing was edited out. 

The thing is that I don't believe you can hear all those 6 players at the same time. I wouldn't count Axl's guitar in Madagascar or TWAT, it's just some tiny little overdub here and there. Richard too, I believe Hard Skool is actually the first and only GNR song that he's playing through the length of the track.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, Voodoochild said:

I get your point, though I was talking about the different instruments, like orchestra, drum machines and synth/keyboards. 

But about the guitars: most of the CD songs worked really well in this aspect on the Antiquiet leaks. The problem was not that Bumblefoot added extra layers, but that Axl and Caram didn't really made them fit within the arrangement, it's just there on top of the other guitars, nothing was edited out. 

The thing is that I don't believe you can hear all those 6 players at the same time. I wouldn't count Axl's guitar in Madagascar or TWAT, it's just some tiny little overdub here and there. Richard too, I believe Hard Skool is actually the first and only GNR song that he's playing through the length of the track.

Does he?

On 10/8/2021 at 2:25 PM, agustingloger said:

He didn't play piano that much on UYI. If You look who play the songs , Axl played the piano in most of the songs

Actually Dizzy played piano on most songs than Axl. I think Dizzy play on Dust n' Bones, LALD, Bad Obsession, Bad Apples, CW, probably KOHD, GITR, PTU and Locomotive while Axl play on NR, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Breakdown and Estranged. So Fine by Howard Teman. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

here's my suggestion to TB on what's next- knowing that they will do the opposite I'd like to see where this goes:

next release is a 45 minute version of "it tastes good, don't it" with a cartoon video of skeleton Axl coming to life from each city's lithograph from the last 5 years and eating that city's food: 

for example:  Chicago deep dish pizza, LA-corn dog, Philly- Cheese steak, Milwaukee- a wheel of cheese, Jersey- um, I guess Jersey girl chotch, etc.  

the follow up could be a 45 minute version of "Ain't going down" which is a video of Skelton Axl trying to unclog his toilet later that night while still making it on stage on time.  

Fernando- you are welcome!   I'm here for more ideas if you need them!

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2021 at 1:01 AM, sousadias said:

Actually Dizzy played piano on most songs than Axl. I think Dizzy play on Dust n' Bones, LALD, Bad Obsession, Bad Apples, CW, probably KOHD, GITR, PTU and Locomotive while Axl play on NR, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Breakdown and Estranged. So Fine by Howard Teman. 

The most iconic piano songs was Axl. Dizzy can stay or leave and nothing would change

4 hours ago, agustingloger said:

The most iconic piano songs was Axl. Dizzy can stay or leave and nothing would change

That's not what you said though is it?

You said Axl played most of the piano pieces on UYI, and challenged people to look in the booklet if they don't believe you.

Somebody looked, and read that Dizzy actually played most of the piano pieces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pele said:

That's not what you said though is it?

You said Axl played most of the piano pieces on UYI, and challenged people to look in the booklet if they don't believe you.

Somebody looked, and read that Dizzy actually played most of the piano pieces.

If You look it that way it could be. What i meant is Dizzy is not that important. He's not Slash ... And the most iconic piano songs it's Axl. So if Dizzy is in the band or not doesn't change too much. 

It's okay now or do You want me to be more clear? 

13 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

If You look it that way it could be. What i meant is Dizzy is not that important. He's not Slash ... And the most iconic piano songs it's Axl. So if Dizzy is in the band or not doesn't change too much. 

It's okay now or do You want me to be more clear? 

You were clear the first time.

You said Dizzy didn't play that much piano and Axl played on most of the songs, and told us to 'look it up'.

Then you were proven wrong.

16 minutes ago, Pele said:

You were clear the first time.

You said Dizzy didn't play that much piano and Axl played on most of the songs, and told us to 'look it up'.

Then you were proven wrong.

The infamous pele.....i wasn't challenging to go to see the credits. But maybe You would think the greatest piano parts were played by Dizzy and they didn't. So if he didn't play NR / Estranged / 14 years / Breakdown. The most iconic piano songs for sure My point was right. You think Dizzy is that important?!?

12 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

The infamous pele.....i wasn't challenging to go to see the credits. But maybe You would think the greatest piano parts were played by Dizzy and they didn't. So if he didn't play NR / Estranged / 14 years / Breakdown. The most iconic piano songs for sure My point was right. You think Dizzy is that important?!?

You're moving the goalposts.

15 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

This is what you said, and were proven wrong. Not a big deal. You meant something else, as you stated since.

Exactly.  No big deal.

You stated Dizzy didn't play that much piano and Axl played on most of the songs, and told us to 'look it up'.

Someone looked it up......

On 10/8/2021 at 5:22 AM, SoulMonster said:

On the topic of CD not feeling like a proper GN'R album: The problem here is the low productivity in the years between Spaghetti and CD. If the band had released a few albums in this time period, with some of the intermediate lineups, there would likely be a more obvious evolution of both lineup and sound. Instead, what we got, was a product after 15 years that was very different from the band's last output. To stay with the evolution analogy, it is like comparing a human to a fish without seeing all the evolutionary steps between.

That being said, for me personally the most distinct aspects of GN'R music that makes it GN'R, is Axl's voice and fairly complex arrangements/song structures, and that was intact. I had also paid enough attention to the the band's history to not be bewildered with both sound and personnel. So I had no problems accepting it as GN'R or as part of the evolution of the band.

I think the issue was that Axl didn't know what he wanted musically for a long time. The band spent countless hours from 1994-1996 trying to figure out what he wanted but never got a solid answer.

The band after Slash/Duff/Matt left seemed like a new start and when he finally began adding lyrics and vocals to songs. Chinese Democracy is kind of the follow up to UYI and TSI after the old band couldn't work with Axl. Some of those songs sound very late 90s/early 00s.

Releasing Chinese Democracy in 2001 after Oh My God in 1999 wouldn't have been a terrible gap. The problem is there's been zero follow up after. We absolutely should have gotten at least 2 or 3 more albums if the band functioned like most other bands.

Edited by mystery