So...whats next?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Right, but there were GN'R plans in place for between now and then. So I'm asking if anyone thinks they'll do something to replace those plans. 

Damn, you're probably right but I sure hope not. 

i really hope they can do some promo for  Hard skool , the usual hit the late night shows, maybe play in a morning  show??. do some  interviews? hit some small clubs? 

do some  acoustic  sessions? like VR/Slash  have done before.

play an online show from the rehearsal  studio?

play arenas in december??

like Long island NY ( i live here, Fernando you better f'n read this)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

i really hope they can do some promo for  Hard skool , the usual hit the late night shows, maybe play in a morning  show??. do some  interviews? hit some small clubs? 

do some  acoustic  sessions? like VR/Slash  have done before.

play an online show from the rehearsal  studio?

play arenas in december??

like Long island NY ( i live here, Fernando you better f'n read this)

I would love all of that. 

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Still don't get why they have to be on tour to release new music. No other band/artist completely disappears off the radar when not touring. Most artists release the music first, THEN tour it. I am pleased we've had two singles, but only a new album will truly make me feel this band cares again.

I don't get it either but that seems to be the only way GN'R wants to do it. 

1 hour ago, Axl S said:

To stop myself being dissapointed will expect nothing and silence.

That said, they've shown the capacity to release songs now with very little notice. We anticipated Absurd only because of the setlist being seen for the first show and then they played it. What we didn't anticipate was just a few days later they would release it. After that it became "Where's Hard Skool?" because we had seen it on setlists for a while and heard them rehearse it in soundcheck repeatedly - even a couple of times with Axl. We then eventually got Hard Skool, again with no pre-announcement, it just released at midnight and they sent some tweets out.

We also had the curiosity of OMG being on setlists in 2018 and lyrics being on the screen during YCBM on this leg of the tour. Odd.

Could they do more songs/an album in December? Possibly. There would be no need to have any of that rehearsed or on a setlist as there were never shows planned for the December timeframe - only October & November with the Mexico and Australia dates. So it is possible we see something that hasn't been worked up for performing yet. This would be a truly surprise release as there are not setlists or soundchecks that could hint towards it.

I see some people talking about the shipment dates of the physical Hard Skool release as another launch. It really doesn't seem like it. The launch of that single was two weeks ago, the February and June 2022 shipment dates are just them fulfilling orders. Other things can be released digitally in the meantime - it's not impossible.

Like I said at the top I'm not going to expect any of that, but will stay a little hopeful as they've finally ripped the seal off and have started releasing music. They clearly like to try and do them as surprises with no fanfare beforehand, so basically once we're 6 weeks out from the Hard Skool release date, each Thursday midnight can be something to anticipate.

What happened here? OMG lyrics appeared on the teleprompter/big screen?

I would totally be pessimistic about the future, but this tour really changed things for me. I really hope for an LP that has actual new songs in it. I won't mind it being a half CD leftovers and half NITL line-up written songs. 

This tour though, made me think they're actually listening to fans.

The minor changing of song orders for each shows. 

2 new singles.

Axl showing real effort even when he's sick. 

I guess Fernando has fully turned face now. 

Heels here might disagree with that lol

Also You're Crazy from this leg has been a fucking highlight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

So what does everyone think is going to happen now? More planned singles even though they can't tour to support them? Impromptu, smaller venue shows in the US? A streak of shows in Las Vegas? Total silence? 

What do you think?? 

A song by The Four Seasons comes to mind, Silence Is Golden.

I don't know, maybe release an EP of Absurd, Hard Skool and two unreleased songs before their European tour. Failing that release new singles during their European tour; Atlas Shrugged, Going Down, Perhaps. Maybe play a couple of theatre shows where they play Use Your Illusion in its entirety.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Still don't get why they have to be on tour to release new music. No other band/artist completely disappears off the radar when not touring. Most artists release the music first, THEN tour it. I am pleased we've had two singles, but only a new album will truly make me feel this band cares again.

I agree. A band’s existence and fame doesn’t stand or fall on touring. And since they’ve always kinda boasted with doing things a different, unexpected way (apart from the playlists, huh?), they could really do anything. Release a new single. Appear on TV or a YT channel (imagine an Axl + Slash interview, first time since what seems like forever). Post a short video from the studio with some unknown song. Record a short acoustic set from the studio. Release a NITL DVD. Announce something proper. There’s a number of things they could do to fuel any hype. Axl has a mythical status and people are eager to hear from him. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, siraddam said:

There is an EP slated for release in February 2022 as far as I know. After that???? Maybe the album in 2023.

I thought TB shot this down? (Aside from the maxi single that we basically already have with Absurd and Hard Skool come out on physical media early next year)

18 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Hiatus.:lol:

Maybe making some works on the new album, UYI 30 years boxset and improve the tour with some new stuff like Izzy, Sorum... etc. Or preparing some documentary with the gold dusty old tapes idk. We never know.

Im hoping that.

A friend of mine bought the special edition of the 30th aniversary of The black album. $250 and full of things. Lots of music. Now thats how You do stuff.... 

• Like 1

I am with you @RussTCB I hate that it has to come to such a halt. I really think they had addressed a lot of “issues” that people were frustrated with. They released music, tried switching different songs around. Axl has been in damn good shape and seemed truly happy.

I am guessing that SMKC is next for Slash, probably starting in 2022, Myles has a UK tour planned in December, but I am sure that could be rescheduled, since he would probably want to get out with SMKC.

I would like to see GN’R add some more US dates during this time but I don’t think they will.

• Like 1

I don't want to appear too cynical, but honestly, I think nothing now for a long long time. 

The two 'new' songs will continue to be played and the tour will roll on indefinitely for many more years, punctuated by new music from SMKC. We'll carry on speculating about a new album here, but if we see anything, it will be years and years off. 

I think there's possibly some credence in the speculation that two 'new' songs were released to boost ticket sales (I can't imagine that Live Nation were thrilled by the 'all new show' turning out to be the same thing again, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was pressure from them) and I certainly think they were rushed out, hence the physical copies not being available for so long. That indicates strongly that they had nothing booked in at the printing plants, and the timeline actually fits with the industry reported waiting times (i,e. they booked the pressings when the singles got dropped). 

Which works both ways I suppose - it means they could drop something again, but I'd be amazed if they'd be happy to release an album then make people went months to buy a physical copy of it. I also think we knew Hard Skool was coming obviously (Absurd was a total surprise though) and there's no indication an album is on it's way. Nothing on the alt-setlists, no artwork for the tour etc etc. 

I'm just thinking 'good to have the two tracks' but that's about it. Step in the right direction, but I'm not going to start foaming at the mouth with excitement thinking anything more is imminent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

I thought TB shot this down? (Aside from the maxi single that we basically already have with Absurd and Hard Skool come out on physical media early next year)

Yeah they did. There's been no 'new EP for February 2022' mentioned anywhere. It's just the old load of crap from 'insiders' kicked down the road a bit as they were proved wrong before. Pay it no mind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Total silence as usual.

If going into a studio and writing new music for an upcoming release means total silence, then I can live with that. But if there's no intension into releasing new (and I mean new) music I'd take the reworked singles. I doubt any of that will happen.

Edited by Free Bird

48 minutes ago, siraddam said:

There is an EP slated for release in February 2022 as far as I know. After that???? Maybe the album in 2023.

If there's an EP, I really don't foresee a full album release coming at all. If, after all this time, they only have enough for an EP, then they're spent. 

If, however, an EP dropped now to cover the lull in activity and an album was slated for release around the time the European tour started, then this would perhaps make more sense.