So...whats next?

I would love them to keep the momentum going since it took so long to establish it.  Likely will never happen, but a tour in smaller venues with some more acoustic performances, a couple of more new songs and some deeper tracks from their catalog would be awesome.  For a band that loves covers, it’s odd they don’t play much from the album of covers they put out.  There a few tracks from Spaghetti that would be fun to hear!   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't want to appear too cynical, but honestly, I think nothing now for a long long time. 

The two 'new' songs will continue to be played and the tour will roll on indefinitely for many more years, punctuated by new music from SMKC. We'll carry on speculating about a new album here, but if we see anything, it will be years and years off. 

I think there's possibly some credence in the speculation that two 'new' songs were released to boost ticket sales (I can't imagine that Live Nation were thrilled by the 'all new show' turning out to be the same thing again, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was pressure from them) and I certainly think they were rushed out, hence the physical copies not being available for so long. That indicates strongly that they had nothing booked in at the printing plants, and the timeline actually fits with the industry reported waiting times (i,e. they booked the pressings when the singles got dropped). 

Which works both ways I suppose - it means they could drop something again, but I'd be amazed if they'd be happy to release an album then make people went months to buy a physical copy of it. I also think we knew Hard Skool was coming obviously (Absurd was a total surprise though) and there's no indication an album is on it's way. Nothing on the alt-setlists, no artwork for the tour etc etc. 

I'm just thinking 'good to have the two tracks' but that's about it. Step in the right direction, but I'm not going to start foaming at the mouth with excitement thinking anything more is imminent. 

You're a well known hater. :lol: But yeah, I remember you were super skeptic at any release from the band back in 2019/2020. I believe you said back then that there was no indication of any release, but it happened.

I believe both songs were ready by then, or at least the recordings were all done, and I'm not sure Axl would want to release only two more straight-forward rockers to justify a new tour (it could all be about the Illusions anniversary). Like you said, they wanted to play Hard Skool back in 2019/2020. The physical release is not even that necessary nowadays, and we know there's a global shortage of the supply chain right now. It doesn't make sense to book the printing plants when the release was uncertain at that moment, but that could very well be just incompetence hahaha. 

Maybe Axl was testing the waters with those two tracks? I like to think that Absurd and Hard Skool wouldn't even be in a new album. Knowing how Axl is, I doubt it though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They had to have known that Australia was doubtful at best and even if Mexico wasn't on their radar, I hope someone considered the possibility of postponement because it happened. 

Not sure about the future in Mexico, but Australia is done for. They're a country in civil war (no pun intended) due to the extreme COVID lockdowns. It's not going to end well there, and I feel bad for their citizens.

16 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Not sure about the future in Mexico, but Australia is done for. They're a country in civil war (no pun intended) due to the extreme COVID lockdowns. It's not going to end well there, and I feel bad for their citizens.

Yeah.....I was just thing to talk about GN'R though. 

38 minutes ago, Janabis said:

Recording instrumentals which will be leaked in 2046.

I swear.....it's probably this

• Haha 1

I don't think any more shows will happen, mainly because Slash is with SMKC now.

I would love a digital release of a new album in November or December, but I just can't see that happening. If that was the plan they would have booked the pressing of the phyical copies a while ago. 

I just hope that we get a little more than just CD leftovers whenever they release something since I don't care at all for Atlas, State and Perhaps.

• Like 2

Personally, what I think should and will happen are different. 

I think they should hit the sunset strip and play the Troubadour and a few other smaller venues like this (especially since these typically are better shows since the band seems to thrive in smaller venues). A Vegas residency would be cool too.

I think they should also plan something for a Black Friday release. Whether it's a song or a live album (with various song performances from the last 4ish years). 

I don't see the SMKC tour lasting long at all, especially since GNR has 2022 dates and Myles is quite busy coming up. I think thats just a pit stop for both slash and myles. 

Props to GNR this leg though. They came out ready and put on a nice leg of a tour. Hopefully this is a short break and we see them a few more times before 2022

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I don't see the SMKC tour lasting long at all,

Few shows in US/Canada to kick off the album and then 3 months in Europe. Living The Dream Tour lasted for 11 months and counted 111 shows, I think they'll play half of this amount on upcoming tour.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 3

Just now, Voodoochild said:

You're a well known hater. :lol: But yeah, I remember you were super skeptic at any release from the band back in 2019/2020. I believe you said back then that there was no indication of any release, but it happened.

I believe both songs were ready by then, or at least the recordings were all done, and I'm not sure Axl would want to release only two more straight-forward rockers to justify a new tour (it could all be about the Illusions anniversary). Like you said, they wanted to play Hard Skool back in 2019/2020. The physical release is not even that necessary nowadays, and we know there's a global shortage of the supply chain right now. It doesn't make sense to book the printing plants when the release was uncertain at that moment, but that could very well be just incompetence hahaha. 

Maybe Axl was testing the waters with those two tracks? I like to think that Absurd and Hard Skool wouldn't even be in a new album. Knowing how Axl is, I doubt it though.

Haha -apparently!

I found it very amusing that 'someone' who had never posted on the forum described me as a 'well known hater'- as if I'm making echos through the GNR world, rather than just some guy who posts a bit too often on a fan forum! I also found it very funny that being a little bit skeptical as to whether or not we would see any material made me a 'hater'. And of course the fact that I'm the butt of jokes ALL THE FUCKING TIME from friends and relatives regarding my lifelong love of GNR! 

Anyway, hopefully we do something more and they could well have been a 'testing the waters' thing. I wonder, if that was the case, whether they got the desired response? I'm not even really sure what the desired response would be actually.

Neither set the world on fire in terms of radio play or attention, but the boat has sailed for GNR on those things in the same way it has for AC/DC etc. The notion that they're going to "bring back rock to the mainstream" or "smash the charts again" is just old fashioned nonsense really. The world has moved on. 

Did fans like them? Well.....this fan typing sure did! Others didn't of course, but in terms of testing the waters, who knows if they hit the mark they wanted? 

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

I don’t think we will get any more new GnR tunes in 2022. Maybe a UYI boxset at most.

If they plan on continuing after 2022, my guess is they’ll just release more singles/EPs every now and then as an excuse to keep touring. Which I’m fine with, tbh.

I'd be very surprised if we don't get a UYI boxset next summer. A year late. as was the AFD one! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m disappointed with how little new music was released this year. The EP has two new songs (which I really like) and two live (old) songs. Would have been a lot more palatable if there had been 4 new songs. Part of me is hoping we’ll see more single releases between now and when the tour kicks off again mid next year, but then I realise this is GnR and we’ve got more chance of platting shit. Hate to sound like I’m ragging on the band, but I’m all honestly the ‘EP’ is too little too late. I’m still gonna see ‘em in London next year but I know this will be the last time for me. So many wasted opportunities. This band is so frustrating. Sorry just venting 

• Like 1

Just now, gavgnr said:

I’m disappointed with how little new music was released this year. The EP has two new songs (which I really like) and two live (old) songs. Would have been a lot more palatable if there had been 4 new songs. Part of me is hoping we’ll see more single releases between now and when the tour kicks off again mid next year, but then I realise this is GnR and we’ve got more chance of platting shit. Hate to sound like I’m ragging on the band, but I’m all honestly the ‘EP’ is too little too late. I’m still gonna see ‘em in London next year but I know this will be the last time for me. So many wasted opportunities. This band is so frustrating. Sorry just venting 

Complaints, complaints, complaints ;)

2 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I'd love to see the band do something more, but much like it seems the "Absurd"/"Hard Skool" plans were put on hold due to the initial wave of COVID-19, I have a feeling any potential plans/releases would be put on hold until things resume. 

All that being said, seeing the band in Raleigh a few nights ago seemed like a great "ending point" for me should the band go into hibernation for a year or two. I've seen Axl at other shows where he was fired up and had something to prove (Atlanta 2011), but he was on fire in Raleigh, any vocal issues aside, and seemed to be happy in a way he was not even happy in 2016-2019, when he still seemed to be enjoying himself. The whole experience gave me a sense of closure I have not had in a while. As I've always said, as much as we bitch, we can make a running list of things that GN'R have done since 2016 that I would have never believed in the realm of possibility:

-Duff and Slash rejoining the band, and actually managing to stay in the band conflict free. 

-Re-introduction of some serious deep cuts into the set ("Coma", "Double Talkin' Jive", "Shadow of Your Love")

-Half of Chinese Democracy being played with Slash and Duff with enough proficiency that they can randomly pull out and perform a song like "Catcher in the Rye" after four years and make it work. 

-Axl singing a Velvet Revolver song (honestly, this one still remains the most mind-blowing for me given how much Velvet Revolver infuriated him in years past). 

-Pro shot videos (you can argue with quality of the video and performances, but this was something we requested for quite some time) 

-Steven Adler performing with the band

-The "Nirvana/GN'R rivalry" ending with Dave Grohl playing with the band on multiple occasions. 

-And, most recently, the live debut and release of two new tracks (including physical product), which were actually made available online in a reasonable manner, without any delay, and with no finger-pointing for mistakes being made in the release plan.

Let's not forget about Locomotive, So Fine (Mexico 2020), intentions to bring PTY and TAY. Ah, and let's not forget about Axl releasing an official statement about Chicago's concert where he was sick and still performed like a pro. 

• Like 1

It’s been about the same amount of time to release these 2 songs as it did for Chinese to be made and these are Chinese era songs.  I could see more of those “B-side” songs being re-done and I could also see the band Re-doing better, chidem, Madagascar, sorry, and maybe TIL.  I remember reading Axl got upset at lack of promotion on ChiDem.  Well, you have to do way more interviews and be open to that happening and what comes with it for it to even possibly succeed.  None of these guys need the money.  As a fan it’s almost like being treated like complete shit.  This band is why I play guitar, but I got so tired of defending them over the years that Faith No More became my favorite band ever and even they managed to reconvene and put out a stellar new record of new material.  Don’t know why this band tends to hang meat infront of the dog so to speak..I don’t think TB is the issue.  I think whatever or whomever controls the bands affairs outside of TB and the label is really issue.  Not sure if it’s Axl or whom.  I’d love to see the contracts and know if they’re required to release another 1-2 albums contractually.  Hell, I’d love to see if Slash and Duff had to agree to certain things with writing and how the interim members play into that or if they were paid and quit so no royalties.  But that stuff interests me.  Wish there wasn’t the stupid NDA’s.  

I take it as it comes.  End of the day what once was my favorite band of all time now just disappoints me.  Hard school and absurd are cool, thankful they’re out, but 2 new songs since 2008 and adding a few old live songs to that, sorry but to me It’s Laughable at this point.  I’d like to hear them at least play some other songs they don’t normally do live from TSI, or even sympathy for the devil.  I put that on Instagram when they asked about seeing stuff in set along with “Breakdown” and it was deleted lol. At this point they’ve pretty much still played the same set since 2016.

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Another single release, this time Perhaps, with a reworked Oh My God as a B-side.

That would be nice, but I’d assume the most we can reasonably expect would be a live footage music video for Hard Skool being released in the near future. Outside of that SMKC until next summer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Axl S said:

It's the most interesting the band has been since 2016. The reunion has had some clear phases.

NITL Part 1: OH MY GOD SLASH AND DUFF ARE BACK (16-17)
NITL Part 2: Appetite Boxset, Some small setlist changes, oh this acoustic version of Move to the City is intersting I guess (18-19)
F'n Everything has F'n in it: Lockdown silence and WTF SILKWORMS IS BACK?! (2020-Present)

We'll see what happens now. The reunion wow factor is definitely over and they pumped the AFD nostalgia well dry. Maybe they do something big for Illusions but they already play all the Illusions songs people want to hear. They either tour on the novelty of just existing for the next 2 years or they release more shit.

The F’N was kinda lame. It was in most of the lithos. Made them tacky. 

I hate that the best case scenario is a “surprise” album release. It would mean they have gone above and beyond to do something really fucking cool that would blow fans minds. That’s a dangerous fucking game when you’re talking about GNR. 😬

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's good to know that they were aware. It gives me hope that there might be contingency plans. 

I don't think we'll get anything when they're not touring but a man (even a grizzled GN'R fan) can hope haha. 

Lastly, for me there was a huge change between this tour and the last several. It stopped feeling like they were just going through the motions for many reasons, at least for me. 

Crossing my fingers this could be true. 

I'm so hoping that isn't the case. I really hope they find a way to fill the space with the plans they had between now and the SMKC plans. 

Yeah, that's always the thing with GN'R: what SHOULD they do and what ARE they gonna do? 

What SHOULD they do? Get in the f*ckin' studio & record a full album & release it, then tour it. What ARE they gonna do? F*ck knows! Perhaps tour for the next 5-10 years without any new material whatsoever? Anything could happen!

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1