So...whats next?

If they can’t figure out how release an album after a crowd pleaser single like Hard Skool, it’s likely not even an option down the road, next year or whenever. This meant an actual album…or not. Looking to next year or some other tour leg is just wishful thinking and nothing more. 

Edited by sofine11

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Everything you just said is exactly why I constantly argue with people who say "they're the biggest band in the world! They're packing stadiums! Why would they need to do promotion??" 

My answers to that are:

No they're not. 

No they're not. 

And 

Because that's what artists do. They release and promote music. 

The bit I don't understand is why people seem so uptight and bothered about GNR being 'the biggest band in the world' or how many listens they get on whatever platform. 

Anyone living in the real world, who isn't stuck in the 80s and 90s knows that music and time has moved on, GNR aren't the hottest band in the world anymore and aren't selling as many tickets as they did when they returned in 2016. 

I can't for the life of me work out why fans recognising these absolutely true and accurate things is seen as some sort of insult by people. 

People seem to furiously want GNR to be as big a deal as they were in 1991, and get angry at any suggestion they aren't. 

There's absolutely no doubt about the fact that no new GNR song or album, no matter how good we may think they are, will have anything of an impact beyond people like us. And that really doesn't matter. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Hardskool is sinking without a trace already. limited radio push, zero advertising, zero interviews, 1-2 social media posts, absurd is almost completely forgotten. I can't give TB or the band any credit for this, it's been a clusterfuck and doing the bare minimum and achieving the bare minimum in results. I'm delighted we got new music, i like both, but the release has been an embarrassment. Hardskool should be on the radio, on the tv. it's nothing already outside of this forum. How a band of this  supposed magnitude can be this shoddy. it is baffling. we'll hear nothing now till next year. disaster. 

Sadly I think you're kinda right. I'm pals with a few lads who are above causal level GNR fans but certainly not keeping up with current GNR news. Played both Absurd and Hard Skool last Thursday night. Neither of them knew anything about the releases! Both liked Hard Skool and both thought Absurd was shite! However, we did then listen to Silkworms demo afterwards and guess what... both liked that more! Also stuck on the original demo of Hard Skool and both thought that Slash and Duff gave the official release a firm boot right up the hole! I'd agree with their sentiments.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah the single will be out in January or December at the latest so them being on the road before the release is not that unusual. The promotion started today so I'd guess we have a single end of this month start of next though. Myles is on tour through December free from the road between Jan-end of May. GNR Start up again in June, Alter Bridge hit the studio in April. That leaves Jan-March for a quick tour of the US and maybe a rapid week or two in Europe.

It's known for quite some time now that the single release will be this month. I think it will be released in the first half of October.

41 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Slash wasting zero time moving on to promote SMKC with a video & single seemingly imminent is telling. Looks like GNR are about to pack it in for a long winter. 

As thrilled as I was with Absurd & Hard Skool, a big part of that was me wrongly assuming they meant a full album was coming.  Can’t pretend I’m not bummed that it’s now very likely not. 😕

As I have been saying for a while now, I am convinced more new music is planned, but that it will take some time. So we can bummed more music is not to be released immediately, but not that it won't happen. 

• Like 1

I had to laugh - folk are going crazy about a 13 second snippet of an Adele song. I’m like - pah…big deal….we went crazy years ago for a 13 second (or so) snippet of Checkmate about 15 years ago or something.

GNR - ahead of their time. 🤣

• Haha 1

It is no wonder Axl is a mystery to people when he keeps making moves that doesn't make any sense. Why is he even releasing this music? The tour is over, there is no promotion and no evidence of any kind of push from the band at all. Of course we don't expect him to do any interviews, but there are plenty of band members who could. They suffer jetlag and performing on stage for hours, but somehow nobody even has the bother to book an online interview in the comfort of their own home to promote their new release. It's almost as if Axl has decreed total radio silence for reasons unknown. This kind of behavior is usually seen in murder trials.

45 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's known for quite some time now that the single release will be this month. I think it will be released in the first half of October.

Ah cool! haven't really kept too up to date with the Slash solo album details, but hope it's more focussed this time around!

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

The bit I don't understand is why people seem so uptight and bothered about GNR being 'the biggest band in the world' or how many listens they get on whatever platform. 

Anyone living in the real world, who isn't stuck in the 80s and 90s knows that music and time has moved on, GNR aren't the hottest band in the world anymore and aren't selling as many tickets as they did when they returned in 2016. 

I can't for the life of me work out why fans recognising these absolutely true and accurate things is seen as some sort of insult by people. 

People seem to furiously want GNR to be as big a deal as they were in 1991, and get angry at any suggestion they aren't. 

There's absolutely no doubt about the fact that no new GNR song or album, no matter how good we may think they are, will have anything of an impact beyond people like us. And that really doesn't matter. 

Couldn't agree more. 

I love me some GN'R. I mean, all of us here do, right? But it means nothing to me personally whether they're the biggest band in the world or not. Some people on here seem to take offense at the mere suggestion that they're not. 

I recently posted a list of things they could do that would help them be seen as current in the public eye. SNL, talk shows, etc. In response, I was told that GN'R are packing stadiums and that they're the biggest band in the world and they don't have to do those things. 

The only thing that's true about that last statement is that they don't have to do those things. My question would be: even IF they were the biggest band in the world, they should still WANT to connect with fans old and new. 

You know who's actually one of the biggest artists in music? Garth Brooks. Dude has some of the largest selling albums in history. HIS tour was actually selling out stadiums. You know what he does every single week? Goes live on his social media to do promotion and shoot the shit with his fans. He does talk show appreances. He records and releases new music. He does re release his old stuff, but it's always in insanely cheap bundles that every single fan can afford. 

It makes no difference if you personally are a fan of Garth Brooks. The fact of the matter is, the guy is one of the biggest music artists in the world and he still does all of those things. None of his dates were moved to smaller venues. None of his dates were cancelled unless it was directly Covid related and absolutely none of his shows were half full with massive discounts to even get that many people in the building. 

Oh and you know what he's doing now that his stadium tour was put on hold because of Covid? He's planning a dive bar tour. He's going to do shows in TINY venues where he can control the Covid sitatuon but still perform for his fans. 

Again.....that's what a real artist does. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Ah cool! haven't really kept too up to date with the Slash solo album details, but hope it's more focussed this time around!

I saw a comment on his Twitter thread about LTD being someone’s favourite rock album of all time (and they had been listening to Rock music since 1977…)! 🤔

Musics all about opinions I guess but I don’t think I have heard anyone even say it’s their favourite SMKC album nevermind anything else!

Thats the power of music I guess! 🤣

• ABSUЯD 2

42 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it stands and falls with Myles. Everybody who doesn't like Myles work with SMKC won't like this album either.

Slash's just Slash, as always.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I saw a comment on his Twitter thread about LTD being someone’s favourite rock album of all time (and they had been listening to Rock music since 1977…)! 🤔

Musics all about opinions I guess but I don’t think I have heard anyone even say it’s their favourite SMKC album nevermind anything else!

Thats the power of music I guess! 🤣

Well it's far from my all time favorites but I think I'd prefer LTD over every other SMKC record.

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Well it's far from my all time favorites but I think I'd prefer LTD over every other SMKC record.

I now stand corrected. 🤣

But yeah - I think of all the legendary rock albums etc BUT also realise life situations can infuse you to a particular band/album/song so fair doos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think it stands and falls with Myles. Everybody who doesn't like Myles work with SMKC won't like this album either.

Slash's just Slash, as always.

For me it's more on Slash, I like Myles most of the time. Slash wrote a few dud songs on LTD hoping he has some more fire in his belly this time around! 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

As I have been saying for a while now, I am convinced more new music is planned, but that it will take some time. So we can bummed more music is not to be released immediately, but not that it won't happen. 

GN'R is much more than just a side project. That's why it's harder to release an album. The expections are much higher. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Cuz, I had family and the majority of my friends mocking me, doing a snake dance, and asking if Axl Rose was "still a thing" wayyyyy back in 1994!!!

Certainly hasn't gotten any easier being a GN'R fan in the years since!

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Obviously I would be thrilled to be wrong, I just don’t think I am. It’s at the point where the only thing that will prove an album is coming…is an album. 

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

GN'R is much more than just a side project. That's why it's harder to release an album. The expections are much higher. 

I think we should bring those expectations down a notch or two! Realistically, I agree with sentiment from one of the previous posters... not many people outside a GNR forum are going to be all that interested in a new GNR album for all that long. Look at the last 2 singles... disappeared as quickly as they arrived really. It's too little too for GNR as a recording entity in my opinion. The fact that Slash is on his second solo album since rejoining the band is really quite something. An album might arrive but at best it will be a bit like a new Stones or AC/DC album... it'll get some press because THEY DO press to promote it and are media darlings in many respects. You'll hear the usual well trodden lines of "this is their best album since Exile On Main Street/Back In Black", the band will go on a publicity spree, it'll chart reasonably well and then, on the whole, most folk forget about it. If a song or two then makes the set list for the next tour, that means it has been a success! Otherwise it will be confined to history. GNR don't have that kudos in the bank, Axl is (whether you like it or not) still not that well regarded by a lot of rock fans, and they don't do press. So make what ya will of that! 

10 hours ago, username said:

- Our friend Mojo and his followers are still massively taking down material from youtube that would sustain the fanbase and I'm not convinced TB is doing anything about that. Much worse I'm not convinced that they're not involved in it;

TB are compliant in this, regardless of their vague "we'll look into what might be happening" answers.

This guy has plagued the forums since 99 and is banned from any non-official forum for obvious reasons.

He was protected on the official Paradise City board and is protected on official Nightrain forum

• GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I think we should bring those expectations down a notch or two! Realistically, I agree with sentiment from one of the previous posters... not many people outside a GNR forum are going to be all that interested in a new GNR album for all that long. Look at the last 2 singles... disappeared as quickly as they arrived really. It's too little too for GNR as a recording entity in my opinion. The fact that Slash is on his second solo album since rejoining the band is really quite something. An album might arrive but at best it will be a bit like a new Stones or AC/DC album... it'll get some press because THEY DO press to promote it and are media darlings in many respects. You'll hear the usual well trodden lines of "this is their best album since Exile On Main Street/Back In Black", the band will go on a publicity spree, it'll chart reasonably well and then, on the whole, most folk forget about it. If a song or two then makes the set list for the next tour, that means it has been a success! Otherwise it will be confined to history. GNR don't have that kudos in the bank, Axl is (whether you like it or not) still not that well regarded by a lot of rock fans, and they don't do press. So make what ya will of that! 

I know I've mentioned this one on here a bunch, but, look how the public at large reacted to the first Van Halen album with DLR in twenty-eight years!  Killer songs, great performances, and it was basically one single, big articles for a couple of weeks, late night performance, aaaannnd....back to playing in front of the same fanbase  who was already going to see them on their tours.

4 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I have the feeling to Slash SMK is him lover, and GNR is to him an bored marriage.

Honestly, yes.  Any side-project talk is rubbish.  Of course, the expectations for a new GN'R album will be higher, BUT, the Conspirators have been Slash's main musical outlet for ELEVEN years now.  Just about as long as he had been in GN'R, prior to the reunion.

Guns, like it or not, is pretty much where he pays the bills, at this point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Precisely! I just don't understand the method behind what they are doing. Proper promotion would give this track such a platform to do well, yet they've given it nothing. I can't fathom why. Unless they just don't care that much and want to keep every cent in their pockets. 

People are looking too deeply into why the band functions the way it does.

Rose doesn't write or record.  It's as simple as that.

People questioning why Silkworms was released.  It's one of 3-4 he has left - that's why.

Deluded people thinking he has been busy in a studio, or 'home studio' writing and recording.

He wrote a few songs in the late 90's and got the buzz back.  Hired a band, got a huge advance and excitedly planned his return.  Was semi-prolific writing/recording 98-01, but lost interest.  Read musician/studio workers saying it was an absolute rarity that he would actually show up to a session. By 2002 that tour fell apart and Robin, Buckethead, Freese, Brain, Huge etc had all left or were leaving.

There was a bit of excitement in 06 when he had a new band and finished off the vocals for the album.

Then absolutely nothing.

Yet people got excited because Slash played over Silkworms and all the hope of a new album came back.  Some people saying the Loony Toons cartoon is some sort of proof that he's an active recording artist.

• Haha 1