When was the last time we know Axl wrote a song?

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The intro is awful, I agree with you there. It may have been saved if it had a kickass instrumental behind the autotuned Axls. 

For me... it really is the epitome of the problem with ChiDem: unnecessary intro, ridiculously over layered vocals, some god awful terrible lyrics against some generally decent melody lines, needless mountains of guitar tracks, the odd moment of genuine decent musicality, washed down with a strange mix and production. It actually astounds me it took 13 years to make! And that's what we got. I'd likely have accepted those collection of songs 7 years earlier.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

For me... it really is the epitome of the problem with ChiDem: unnecessary intro, ridiculously over layered vocals, some god awful terrible lyrics against some generally decent melody lines, needless mountains of guitar tracks, the odd moment of genuine decent musicality, washed down with a strange mix and production. It actually astounds me it took 13 years to make! And that's what we got. I'd likely have accepted those collection of songs 7 years earlier.

It is astounding.

There is a minuscule body of work over the last three decades, and that body of work includes utter, utter garbage like Silkworms, OMG, Riad, Scraped, If the World, Catcher, Eye on You, Atlas.

Also includes decent but mediocre work like Shacklers, IRS, Prostitute, Chinese Democracy, HardSkool, Perhaps etc.

It's baffling anyone is even contemplating this guy is hoarding epic songs.

Most of the above was written by/with multiple songwriters, most of the music isn't his.  He just adds lyrics (very, very infrequently).

1 minute ago, Pele said:

It is astounding.

There is a minuscule body of work over the last three decades, and that body of work includes utter, utter garbage like Silkworms, OMG, Riad, Scraped, If the World, Catcher, Eye on You, Atlas.

Also includes decent but mediocre work like Shacklers, IRS, Prostitute, Chinese Democracy, HardSkool, Perhaps etc.

It's baffling anyone is even contemplating this guy is hoarding epic songs.

Most of the above was written by/with multiple songwriters, most of the music isn't his.  He just adds lyrics (very, very infrequently).

Well ya see... I actually genuinely enjoy Oh My God, believe it or not. I could totally get behind an album in that vein. And that is what I hoped CD would be. If The World I don't mind either. The rest I can live without right enough! Would call out Better as being a belter and though slightly overblown I quite TWAT as well. So there has been some good stuff like! But I get your point.

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Well ya see... I actually genuinely enjoy Oh My God, believe it or not. I could totally get behind an album in that vein. And that is what I hoped CD would be. If The World I don't mind either. The rest I can live without right enough! Would call out Better as being a belter and though slightly overblown I quite TWAT as well. So there has been some good stuff like! But I get your point.

Yeah, Better, TWAT, Madagascar and early versions of The Blues were top tier stuff.

State of Grace was too.  It's a shame it was never developed. 

But it's slim pickings in 30 years.

Edited by Pele

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They wrote it, Axl made the melody and tweaked a few words 

Like the majority of Chinese then?

And Axl didn't 'make the melody' on Rock the Rock.  Looney Toons musical director writes little tunes like that all the time.

What do you think happened there - the guy had lyrics and needed Rose to compose a little melody for them?  The song was complete.  He just sung.

Edited by Pele

9 hours ago, Pele said:

Like the majority of Chinese then?

And Axl didn't 'make the melody' on Rock the Rock.  Looney Toons musical director writes little tunes like that all the time.

What do you think happened there - the guy had lyrics and needed Rose to compose a little melody for them?  The song was complete.  He just sung.

So now Axl also didn't write the lyrics / melodies to the majority of Chinese Democracy thanks for your great insider info Pele, you truly know it all...

Also who cares whether he did or didn't sing his own melody line for looney tunes?? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Regardless of what folk may say/think about your other other points of view on certain topics... there's no arguing with this! Agree fully. 

Well yes, more so than his other beliefs but no in general. He doesn't like certain songs from Chinese so they are garbage to him, fair enough! but they are the same songs that other people on this forum love so... that obviously means it's subjective rather than fact. 

As for all his other opinions, that's all they are until he gets evidence to support his arguments. I see absolutely no reason for him to continue babbling about it until then. If he's right and Axl never finished State of grace (I'll need Axls confirmation on that as it's not, not finished just because it doesn't end up on the next album), and all those other songs then Pele can be a smug bastard for the rest of his days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well yes, more so than his other beliefs but no in general. He doesn't like certain songs from Chinese so they are garbage to him, fair enough! but they are the same songs that other people on this forum love so... that obviously means it's subjective rather than fact. 

As for all his other opinions, that's all they are until he gets evidence to support his arguments. I see absolutely no reason for him to continue babbling about it until then. If he's right and Axl never finished State of grace (I'll need Axls confirmation on that as it's not, not finished just because it doesn't end up on the next album), and all those other songs then Pele can be a smug bastard for the rest of his days.

Oh it is totally subjective. I find tracks like This I Love almost nauseating but don't mind If The World! At the end of the day it's an internet forum no a court of law... what do we expect?!! 🙃🙂 Still though the original point was that GNR's output over the past 30 years,  for broadly being active throughout that period, is underwhelming at best. There's just enough of it to be overwhelming!

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Oh it is totally subjective. I find tracks like This I Love almost nauseating but don't mind If The World! At the end of the day it's an internet forum no a court of law... what do we expect?!! 🙃🙂 Still though the original point was that GNR's output over the past 30 years,  for broadly being active throughout that period, is underwhelming at best. There's just enough of it to be overwhelming!

Oh yeah, the amount of music realeased is piss poor and some of the quality control wasn't there.

As for court of law, I agree! but when you're dealing with lunacy you have to get out the big guns!🤣

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The only 'evidence' I'm ever gonna get is month after month, year after year, of NONE of these songs ever surfacing.

Even then, you'll cling on to the belief that he's still recording.

9 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Of course.

A lot of things are subjective.  We see terrible decisions in Boxing all the time, where a clear loser gets awarded the fight because judging is 'subjective'.

It doesn't change the fact that people are delusional thinking he has a load of epic tracks hoarded when he's released a tiny batch of songs over 30 years and they've included OMG, Catcher, Scraped, Riad, Silkworms etc.  Sure, there will be some fans here who like them but they are mainly considered utter garbage, or unremarkable filler at best.

8 minutes ago, Pele said:

Of course.

A lot of things are subjective.  We see terrible decisions in Boxing all the time, where a clear loser gets awarded the fight because judging is 'subjective'.

It doesn't change the fact that people are delusional thinking he has a load of epic tracks hoarded when he's released a tiny batch of songs over 30 years and they've included OMG, Catcher, Scraped, Riad, Silkworms etc.  Sure, there will be some fans here who like them but they are mainly considered utter garbage, or unremarkable filler at best.

This forum was a much better place before you starting popping up in every thread. You’re unwanted here with your daily bs… see yourself out man… get a hobby…

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

So now Axl also didn't write the lyrics / melodies to the majority of Chinese Democracy thanks for your great insider info Pele, you truly know it all...

Also who cares whether he did or didn't sing his own melody line for looney tunes?? 

• Better was an instrumental given to Axl
  • Sorry was a Buckethead instrumental
  • Shacklers was a Buckethead instrumental
  • Chinese Democracy riff was written by Josh Freese
  • The General was a Brain instrumental

And we know all of those instrumentals that he didn't get round to writing words for were provided by Robin, Brain, Bucket etc.

• It's likely This I Love was his
  • He wrote the horns for Madagascar
  • I think he wrote Thyme but I've no proof

I'd say nearly all the lyrics on CD are his.  But most of the music was written for him.

And we know all of those instrumentals that he didn't get round to writing words for were provided by Robin, Brain, Bucket etc.

I'd say nearly all the lyrics on CD are his.  But most of the music was written for him.

axl created a piano part for prostitute in 1993 apparently what i've heard don't know if it's true

We don't know how much of the melodies were axl's. On the leaks you can hear axl trying to come up with melodies for a few songs: quick song, state of grace, nothing.

31 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

We don't know how much of the melodies were axl's. On the leaks you can hear axl trying to come up with melodies for a few songs: quick song, state of grace, nothing.

Yeah you're right - he's working on vocal melodies there, over existing riffs

34 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

axl created a piano part for prostitute in 1993 apparently what i've heard don't know if it's true

Haha, where did you hear that?

Maybe he played something similar at a concert in 93, when he used to play music before Nov Rain?

58 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah, That's called a band effort 

• Like 1