When was the last time we know Axl wrote a song?

9 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, That's called a band effort 

Yeah, I'm not against it.

Just further emphasizing how little Rose has put out.  About 20 songs in 30 years, must of them where the music came from someone else.

I think Darren Reed came up with the piano melody for The Blues too.

30 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah you're right - he's working on vocal melodies there, over existing riffs

Yes, they were existing riffs. But writing a song does not exclusively mean writing the instrumental part, the melodies are just as important. Even if most of CD instrumentals were written by other musicians, that does not mean Axl didn't write a considerable portion of those songs by coming up with lyrics, melodies and synth/keyboard parts (I think he wrote some part of the synth orchestration on a lot of songs).

43 minutes ago, Pele said:

Haha, where did you hear that?

Maybe he played something similar at a concert in 93, when he used to play music before Nov Rain?

There isn't evidence that Prostitute is from 1993. But there is evidence that Axl wrote most of the music on it, as well as on IRS.

Just now, Blackstar said:

There isn't evidence that Prostitute is from 1993. But there is evidence that Axl wrote most of the music on it, as well as on IRS.

I've heard of an early working title for Prostitute as being "Hearts Get Killed" 

Cool name, not sure if it's legit or not.

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess you miss threads that are based on real data:

No I read it and enjoyed it.  The information is good.

We differ on the belief that Rose has written any other songs than what we've heard.  There is no further beef.

I think Paul may have done the main riff but I'm not sure.

I wonder what Darren Reed contributed?

Better is interesting because it's 50/50 Rose/Robin, yet there is a video of Richard saying he wrote parts.  I'm guessing it's a tiny lick over the chorus that wasn't present in Finks original demo form that didn't warrant a credit.

Edited by Pele

On 10/8/2021 at 7:23 PM, Pele said:

Better is interesting because it's 50/50 Rose/Robin, yet there is a video of Richard saying he wrote parts.  I'm guessing it's a tiny lick over the chorus that wasn't present in Finks original demo form that didn't warrant a credit.

I am of the strong opinion that Richard is the most under utilized member of GN'R. It's nice he has more of a lead guitar presence during live performances, but he deserves to play lead and some solos on at least a few songs too on the next album.  Perhaps this will be the case on the next record. 

If they are re-recording all or most of Robin and Bucket/Bumblefoot's parts on CD2 (which is high likely) Richard should have a hand in this as well, especially for the more advanced Bucket stuff and not have it all be Slash. 

• Like 1