SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

23 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Living The Dream was good, but I think the deck was stacked against them with World On Fire beforehand. I still whole heartedly believe that album is Slash's best work since the Illusions album. I still come back to it often enough and it holds up to me. 

World On Fire is Slash's best work since Ain't Life Grand imo.

23 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

Living the Dream was definitely the worst of the three but I thought it was still pretty good. Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire are hard to live up to. Both phenomenal albums. 

World On Fire > Slash > Living The Dream > Apocalyptic Love imo. 

22 hours ago, skik08 said:

But....isn't it the same way apocalyptic love was recorded? I definitely remember something like they recorded the songs live or something. 

You beat me to it.

12 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Yes, they recorded it like this on analog tapes. I never liked the mix, but it's way harder to record and produce an album this way.

Yeah I don't like the production on AL either, that's Eric Valentine's fault. Wish he had been working with Elvis already at that point. AL has great songs but they would be even better with WOF/LTD kind of production; Eric's mix just cheapens it (esp the drum sounds).

18 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Yes, they recorded it like this on analog tapes. I never liked the mix, but it's way harder to record and produce an album this way.

IMO the biggest problem is how the intro riff has to be on the center, but the solo goes only on the right speaker. That makes it weak and underwhelming, even though it's actually a great solo. 

Why is Slash acting like this is the first time SMKC has recorded a record live? Wasnt Apocalyptic Love made that way too?

And lol at Myles saying shit like “capture the music in the moment” and “record it in an authentic way.” Bet he was trying to indirectly give Axl the finger there (and I don’t blame him, really).

Edited by rocknroll41

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Why is Slash acting like this is the first time SMKC has recorded a record live? Wasnt Apocalyptic Love made that way too?

And lol at Myles saying shit like “capture the music in the moment” and “record it in an authentic way.” Bet he was trying to indirectly give Axl the finger there (and I don’t blame him, really).

I really can't remember but maybe they added Myles' vocals later and did some overdubs for Slash's lead guitar back then.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

25 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I really can't remember but maybe they added Myles' vocals later and did some overdubs for Slash's lead guitar back then.

Yeah the vocals were added afterward and I think Myles might've done his guitar parts separately too. And there's a few lead overdubs.

Honestly Slash probably figured that doing it live this way was quicker given everyone's schedules, rather than spending time on each part separately. They were in the studio for only about a week and a half, going by the dates that the studio TikToks were posted.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah the vocals were added afterward and I think Myles might've done his guitar parts separately too. And there's a few lead overdubs.

Honestly Slash probably figured that doing it live this way was quicker given everyone's schedules, rather than spending time on each part separately. They were in the studio for only about a week and a half, going by the dates that the studio TikToks were posted.

I hope they chose to go this way out of conviction and not because of the lack of time.

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I hope they chose to go this way out of conviction and not because of the lack of time.

Probably both

4 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Hmm, according to the leaked tracklist this album contains only 10 songs... 

Same as LTD right? Are you referring to the pic you posted earlier with the paper on the table?

27 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Same as LTD right? Are you referring to the pic you posted earlier with the paper on the table?

26 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Yes.

LTD had 12 songs

I hope 10 songs doesn't mean a shorter runtime... it could be longer songs with longer instrumental parts. At least I hope so.

13 minutes ago, leonidas7576 said:

Dave Cobb, the producer, works live like this on most of his projects.

If that's true, than the fact that they chose him makes me believe it was their idea to begin with to record the album that way and that it wasn't to save some time.

They were saying they had 20 songs written so I guess they just chose half for this record and the other half was set aside for later. The trend now is towards shorter albums (like the Foo Fighters album). Just hope it rocks from beginning to end (there was also talk of some cool new ballad).

• Like 2