SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

19 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

I have been listening to the single all day from time to time.. damn its so much better song than Absurd or Hard Skool. Sounds organic.

Each to their own. I have it in a playlist with HS & Absurd and for my taste they are far better songs. Fundamentally they have Axl singing and his phrasing, lyrics and vocal variety elevates things immensely. 

I wouldn’t put the two projects in the same leagues personally. 

Edited by reayj2003
  • Like 1

Listened to it a few times now and I wouldn't care if I never heard it again! Totally forgettable, just like his last album, and that is mainly down to Myles' vocals; they just bore me within seconds, lyrically and acoustically. I've loved everything Slash has done since first leaving GN'R... right up until he started writing whole albums with Myles.

HS & Absurd are in a different league for me, much better guitar work and that raw Slash sound that's been missing of late. Plus, Axl is on there too which elevates it hugely above anything SMKC have, or will ever put out.

• Like 2

Not really a fan of SMKC. I like some of the songs, but I've only listened to the albums a couple of times. 

Having said that, I really liked the song, didn't see anything bad with Slash's parts. Riffs and arrangement overall was pretty good. The fast part isn't jarring as some suggested here. 

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Not a fan of the mix, I preferred Elvis' work on the last 2 records.

This is the only thing that I really disliked. I honestly thought the YouTube audio had a low bitrate. The drums have a really bad sound, and the guitars should have more punch IMO. 

BTW, obviously there's overdubs there. It's not 100% live recording. Which is fine, I prefer that way.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't dislike it but it hasn't grabbed me yet. I think i'll end up loving it though :slash:

Does the 'setlist' on the drums suggest that they recorded more videos for the album?

Also: I never cared about things like that, but I wish his new SD pickups had some aging. It's too white lol

Man this song is probably the most “okay” track I’ve ever listened to. Myles is boring and his voice sounds weird with the mix. I genuinely think Absurd is a better song than this. Not a bad song but something I think any commercial, generic rock band could create.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelmi said:

I have been listening to the single all day from time to time.. damn its so much better song than Absurd or Hard Skool. Sounds organic.

Why does HS not sound organic? The song was re-recorded from the ground-up using the demo as a template?

I might be wrong but I do think people don’t think it’s ‘organic’ because it was recorded created by another line-up (although we still don’t know if this originated from the mid-90s sessions).

There is enough differences between the locker versions and these singles to show the current line-ups imprint on them.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by DTJ80

3 hours ago, ZoSo said:

HS & Absurd are in a different league for me, much better guitar work and that raw Slash sound that's been missing of late. Plus, Axl is on there too which elevates it hugely above anything SMKC have, or will ever put out.

Absurd is bad, dunno how somebody can put HS and Absurd on the same shelf. To be honest I don't see anything good with Axl 'elevating hugely above anything' if vocals are layered so much that he even can't perform it at concert. HS is a freakin disaster live, haven't you heard it?

2 hours ago, Italian girl said:

If only slash coould have axl as his guest vocalist.. :P

and duff as  bassist  lol

Wrong and wrong.  

2 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Myles sings so much better with Alter Bridge. I don't get it 

He sings the same, the material of AB allows him to use his voice more multidimensionally as the tracks are way more sophisticated compositionally, with different tunings and stuff. SMKC music are simple RN'R/blues driven standards. He doesn't want to make melodies he won't pull off live, it took him 7 years to face 'Words Darker Than Their Wings' and 4 years to try 'All Ends Well'. Now he'll be touring for couple months with Slash and that means a 2 hour show every second night. And unlike other vocalist often mentioned in this thread, he wouldn't be happy if he performed his own songs that bad.

Myles admits in interviews that he's not using any distortion for years to preserve his voice, I think it's time to either accept it or stop following the band, because that thing won't change. 

6 hours ago, metallex78 said:

It was brought to my attention that at 2:32 mark coming out of the solo, is the Withered Delilah riff, and it totally sounds like it, or at least very similar!

Slash plagiarising himself perhaps…?

Well, Slash limits himself with his love for pentatonic scales, after 30 years of writing music it must have happened at some point.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Myles admits in interviews that he's not using any distortion for years to preserve his voice, I think it's time to either accept it or stop following the band, because that thing won't change. 

I got a lot of respect for him after his interview on the Rick Beato's channel. And he also seems like a really nice and down to earth guy.

About the video: where's Slash's Marshall head? :huh:

2 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Absurd is bad, dunno how somebody can put HS and Absurd on the same shelf. To be honest I don't see anything good with Axl 'elevating hugely above anything' if vocals are layered so much that he even can't perform it at concert. HS is a freakin disaster live, haven't you heard it?

Wrong and wrong.  

He sings the same, the material of AB allows him to use his voice more multidimensionally as the tracks are way more sophisticated compositionally, with different tunings and stuff. SMKC music are simple RN'R/blues driven standards. He doesn't want to make melodies he won't pull off live, it took him 7 years to face 'Words Darker Than Their Wings' and 4 years to try 'All Ends Well'. Now he'll be touring for couple months with Slash and that means a 2 hour show every second night. And unlike other vocalist often mentioned in this thread, he wouldn't be happy if he performed his own songs that bad.

Yeah i think is about the music too. I find his voice in AB is more deeper 

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I got a lot of respect for him after his interview on the Rick Beato's channel. And he also seems like a really nice and down to earth guy.

About the video: where's Slash's Marshall head? :huh:

I thought the same thing!!! Okay we know he plays from a rack, fine, but did they forget his prop head? Orrrrrr is Slash about to endorse a new amp? NO WAY he breaks from Marshall. I bet they didn’t have a spare head without taking apart his rack so he went with no head? I didn’t even think he had a head on stage in GNR anymore. 

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

BTW, obviously there's overdubs there. It's not 100% live recording. Which is fine, I prefer that way.

Slash said in an interview for polish radio that they recorded each song in 1, 2 or 3 takes (including solos). They did some minor overdubs for backing vocals. He also said that he always wanted to make an album with 10 songs only, and with this one he's really happy because each song is very different from others and (his own words) there's an epic ballad. Will try to transcript the whole interview for you guys tomorrow.

btw. Getting back to the song, dunno what Frank used for his parts during the recording process, but he has a really nice overdrive tone there. Sometimes it felt like it was Slash on the left channel.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1