SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

Ill either be at the NYC show or house of blues, probably NYC

I listened to the single in the car this morning on my way to work twice. Good god that Mix sounded terrible in my car speakers. I can hardly hear the bass and myles vocals. Slash cuts through but is lost in some parts

Musically, I don't mind it. The beat at the start of the first verses sounds like the immigrant song, well similar to. The chorus riff is really catchy. I also like parts of the solo but the tempo changes are odd. 

You can tell this was done live. I noticed a few mistakes by Brent where he should have went to different cymbals Than he did, but switched a measure or two in (especially after the solo he goes back to the hi hats for a measure but switches to the bell of the ride right after).

Not my favorite, but you can tell its slash and myles. they're stuff sounds pretty similar. Curious for the rest of the album. Living the Dream grew on me slowly, especially some of the solos slash did on it. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

I thought the same thing!!! Okay we know he plays from a rack, fine, but did they forget his prop head? Orrrrrr is Slash about to endorse a new amp? NO WAY he breaks from Marshall. I bet they didn’t have a spare head without taking apart his rack so he went with no head? I didn’t even think he had a head on stage in GNR anymore. 

He does use one head for the feedback. I thought that was weird because Frank had his Orange head there.

33 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Slash said in an interview for polish radio that they recorded each song in 1, 2 or 3 takes (including solos). They did some minor overdubs for backing vocals. He also said that he always wanted to make an album with 10 songs only, and with this one he's really happy because each song is very different from others and (his own words) there's an epic ballad. Will try to transcript the whole interview for you guys tomorrow.

There's also overdubs for either Slash's rhythm guitar during his own lead or the other way around. During the chorus, for example. 

I think Slash's best ballad is Back to the Moment. 

23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

He does use one head for the feedback. I thought that was weird because Frank had his Orange head there.

There's also overdubs for either Slash's rhythm guitar during his own lead or the other way around. During the chorus, for example. 

There is one live cabinet on stage, not sure if they have a prop head on it or not, the head is back stage that is making the feedback. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kelmi said:

I have been listening to the single all day from time to time.. damn its so much better song than Absurd or Hard Skool. Sounds organic.

Yeah, this song is really growing on me and I already mostly liked it on first listen. The groove of this song or musical hook or whatever is really catchy. I don’t always love Myles vocals but I think he does a good job here. I can see people really liking this after a few listens. Hopefully it gets a good promotional push.

4 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

Each to their own. I have it in a playlist with HS & Absurd and for my taste they are far better songs. Fundamentally they have Axl singing and his phrasing, lyrics and vocal variety elevates things immensely. 

I wouldn’t put the two projects in the same leagues personally. 

First off Absurd is barely even a song vocal wise. Also I like Axl’s voice on HS for the most part but Myles on this song is good too. This song is less gimmicky though with a much better intro. I can envision it having a longer shelf life than HS which I don’t think really sticks with people. Fine when you hear it but out of your mind when it’s done. 

4 hours ago, ZoSo said:

Plus, Axl is on there too which elevates it hugely above anything SMKC have, or will ever put out.

Haha what a ridiculous statement. HS and especially Absurd are not that good..SMKC have released some really good songs. I mean just Wicked Stone itself shits all over those songs without remorse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Why does HS not sound organic? The song was re-recorded from the ground-up using the demo as a template?

I might be wrong but I do think people don’t think it’s ‘organic’ because it was recorded created by another line-up (although we still don’t know if this originated from the mid-90s sessions).

There is enough differences between the locker versions and these singles to show the current line-ups imprint on them.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Well that school bell that hits you over the head with a cringe bomb at the beginning doesn’t sound very organic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea seriously. Every time Hardskool starts I’m expecting the Saved by the Bell theme. Not what I expect to hear when listening to gnr 

Glad I'm not the only one. I've been saying that since day one. It would have been a perfect 10 without the Bell of the.

The intro to this took me by surprise and I got Absurd and Rob Zombie vibes at first but better written and with better lyrics, melodies, hooks and guitar work. Nothing groundbreaking, just kick ass rock n roll. The riff towards the end is just sleazy and nasty. I like it. 

Myles is amazing but an acquired taste and u can't help but think how this would have sounded with Rod Jackson. To this day Ain't Life Grand is my favorite Slash solo album. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Got me to thinking about my favorite Slash ballad, and I still come back to his guitar playing on Elan's Street Child. Guy lays down his most epic non-GNR solo on a little known independent artist's track. Goes to show I guess he never mails it in. I always thought to myself that Axl would have given his left nut to build a song around this kind of solo during the period Slash was gone.

To anyone unfamiliar with the song, here is 2:40 of pure Slash awesomeness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smoking guns said:

The video and song both rock. See how easy this promo thing is? Axl needs to let Slash manage GNR like he does SMKC. Fire Current GNR management and promote Slash management. 

You do know band management is just that, managing a band , not releasing or writing music on their behalf or deciding when and what to release at this level?

10 hours ago, DK6 said:

You must be the only person on the planet that likes sugar cane! 

I'd rather listen to William Shatner's rocket man.

I'm actually assuming you're a troll because I'm finding it very hard to believe anyone could find anything redeeming about that song.

I like Sugar Cane also.

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I don't dislike it but it hasn't grabbed me yet. I think i'll end up loving it though :slash:

That's how I feel too. 

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I got a lot of respect for him after his interview on the Rick Beato's channel. And he also seems like a really nice and down to earth guy.

About the video: where's Slash's Marshall head? :huh:

2 hours ago, smoking guns said:

I thought the same thing!!! Okay we know he plays from a rack, fine, but did they forget his prop head? Orrrrrr is Slash about to endorse a new amp? NO WAY he breaks from Marshall. I bet they didn’t have a spare head without taking apart his rack so he went with no head? I didn’t even think he had a head on stage in GNR anymore. 

Off to the side with the guitar rack. He's not endorsing something new.

2 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Slash said in an interview for polish radio that they recorded each song in 1, 2 or 3 takes (including solos). They did some minor overdubs for backing vocals. He also said that he always wanted to make an album with 10 songs only, and with this one he's really happy because each song is very different from others and (his own words) there's an epic ballad. Will try to transcript the whole interview for you guys tomorrow.

btw. Getting back to the song, dunno what Frank used for his parts during the recording process, but he has a really nice overdrive tone there. Sometimes it felt like it was Slash on the left channel.

Frank is using an Orange Custom Shop 50. Tbh during the verses Frank is mixed too loud (or rather Slash is too soft).

37 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

They suck at picking singles. Usually always go with the most radio generic cut. Rest of album will hopefully be better

That's what I'm hoping, that they went with this song first because it's more radio friendly and that the rest of the record has more nasty hard rocking stuff.

Personally I don't think this was the best choice for an album opener, compared to WOF and LTD. We'll see I guess.

It's fine, not great, but fine. If it's at least on par with the other albums, I'll be happy. Crazy how much more material Slash and his band put out versus Guns N` Roses. I've said it before, I wish Slash would just focus entirely on his solo efforts if Guns aren't going to get moving on new material. 

1 hour ago, smoking guns said:

There is one live cabinet on stage, not sure if they have a prop head on it or not, the head is back stage that is making the feedback. 

You're right, I feel dumb as fuck now lol. Sorry about that

42 minutes ago, Naupis said:

Got me to thinking about my favorite Slash ballad, and I still come back to his guitar playing on Elan's Street Child. Guy lays down his most epic non-GNR solo on a little known independent artist's track. Goes to show I guess he never mails it in. I always thought to myself that Axl would have given his left nut to build a song around this kind of solo during the period Slash was gone.

To anyone unfamiliar with the song, here is 2:40 of pure Slash awesomeness.

It's an awesome solo for sure, and that's how This I Love should've sound like live with Slash. But I didn't consider this song as written by him, I think he only did the solo? (maybe he even had this solo for TIL and used again here hahaha) 🤔

38 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Off to the side with the guitar rack. He's not endorsing something new.

I understand, it's just feels weird. Surely he's not endorsing anything, but I don't think this would be reason enough. It just feels empty without it. Not a big deal, though.

14 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Very nice interview:

Some of you may have been right, Slash says that River is Rising was done even before the pre-production, it was a jam that became a song, they haven't thought much about it.

He says in other press releases for the new single that this was one of 2 or 3 songs written during the pandemic. Others were previously written. Apparently The River is Rising was the last song written and the first recorded for the album. 

Edit: Interesting that in the interview above Slash also states the next record is already written. Ha dude never quits.

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 1