SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

I like that this sounds a little different for a lead single from SMKC

I actually quite liked Myles on this, thought the mild effects on his voice suited him and that even heavier layers of effects would have sounded good.

Slash as always delivers some nice hassle free music :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

Well that school bell that hits you over the head with a cringe bomb at the beginning doesn’t sound very organic. 

Agreed - it’s a bit random….but that in itself doesn’t doesn’t equate to being not ‘organic’.

It might be cringey and needless but the fact it was actually added to the track by this line-up is something.

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Why does HS not sound organic? The song was re-recorded from the ground-up using the demo as a template?

The vocals are from another recording.. That alone means it wasn't re-recorded from the ground up.. They had a template and they had make their parts fit it..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The vocals are from another recording.. That alone means it wasn't re-recorded from the ground up.. They had a template and they had make their parts fit it..

I get your point as the vocals are clearly from 1999 but have been cut/had effects placed on them to fit the new re-recording/version.

Maybe I’m splitting hairs but the practice of working around a vocal line isn’t that unnatural to me.

Anyhoos - I don’t want to derail this thread with my ramblings. 🤣

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I understand, it's just feels weird. Surely he's not endorsing anything, but I don't think this would be reason enough. It just feels empty without it. Not a big deal, though.

Well even on past SMKC tours he just has the cabs on stage with his dinosaur/horror paraphernalia on top, no stage heads. Last time he had stage heads was AL tour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

He says in other press releases for the new single that this was one of 2 or 3 songs written during the pandemic. Others were previously written. Apparently The River is Rising was the last song written and the first recorded for the album. 

Edit: Interesting that in the interview above Slash also states the next record is already written. Ha dude never quits.

I wonder how many SMKC albums were gonna get before a new GNR album.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well even on past SMKC tours he just has the cabs on stage with his dinosaur/horror paraphernalia on top, no stage heads. Last time he had stage heads was AL tour.

What if he didn’t use heads because Gibson now owns Mesa Boogie and Marshall is their top competitor so he just left it off. Frank is using one of Slash’s Cabs and Slash is not using his trademark cab. 

9 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

What if he didn’t use heads because Gibson now owns Mesa Boogie and Marshall is their top competitor so he just left it off. Frank is using one of Slash’s Cabs and Slash is not using his trademark cab. 

Mesa Boogie has nothing to do with it, they weren't owned by Gibson when he was doing the WOF and LTD tour. In the music video Frank is using an Orange cab. Not sure why Slash doesn't have his cabs out for the video but I'm sure we'll see them on tour.

11 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I just like those type of songs, I also like Anything Goes from AFD when not many do.

Sorry mate.

I was being a dickhead.

I'm a big believer in liking the music you like and not caring what anyone else says. 

I like anything goes too.

I'm sure there's a lot of music i like that you might dislike!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Mesa Boogie has nothing to do with it, they weren't owned by Gibson when he was doing the WOF and LTD tour. In the music video Frank is using an Orange cab. Not sure why Slash doesn't have his cabs out for the video but I'm sure we'll see them on tour.

You are correct. That is an Orange Cab. Oh well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Italian girl said:

If only slash coould have axl as his guest vocalist.. :P

and duff as  bassist  lol

We arent even getting current axl on the newly released gnr singles let alone Axl having to go into the studio to record a new vocal guest spot

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

More generic, middle of the road, colorless hard rock from SMKC.  Other than the middle eight/solo section that repeats at the end, this song is entirely forgettable.  Leaves your mind as soon as it's over.

Had to scroll down way more then i tought to find this comment.

The song sucks 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oneway23 said:

More generic, middle of the road, colorless hard rock from SMKC.  Other than the middle eight/solo section that repeats at the end, this song is entirely forgettable.  Leaves your mind as soon as it's over.

Ha you actually give props to the parts I don’t particularly like. I just listened again a few times and still think it’s a really good modern rock song and is a good album opener. Based on SMKC’s history the first single is never close to the best the album has to offer so all is  kosher imo. If nothing else the album will be a good late birthday present for Axl reminding him releasing albums is still a thing and it doesn’t take 15 years. 🍻 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, after couple of listenings I can say this:

- it is The Cult "Rain" ripp off like 42%

- If this song is from past album I would notice because it is in same tune

- Myles have great voice but he allways uses this kind of strange pitch that ticle my eyebrow

- his presence is too static. He almost wear same outfit as Axl on SCOM yet there is no movement. Not a little snake dance or hand emotion. 

It is new music from SMKC so I will give it thumb up for creativity but this song wont end up on my playing list.