SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

16 minutes ago, Willis1988 said:

I love the song and I’m a huge Myles fan (Alter Bridge, Slash, solo).  What’s most impressive to me about Myles is how prolific he is. We talk about Slash never taking a break, but since Alter Bridge’s third album in 2010, Myles has recorded 10 full albums between his three projects, plus the two songs on Slash’s first album, something like 5 or 6 live albums, and a slew of guest appearances. I think this contributes to a lot of the “generic” talk. Myles has simply overextended himself. When you’re trying to write lyrics and melodies for three very different projects (more dramatic “metal” rock with AB, blues based sleazy hard rock with SMKC, and blues/country/Americana rock with his solo stuff) I imagine you could start repeating yourself after awhile without even realizing it. 

I think the vocal stuff was also done a bit quicker for this record than the ones before. He might not have had as much time to figure out all the melodies etc (Todd probably helped a bit).

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Nah, he wouldn't have been able to cover the back catalog (including GnR) and the other singers on the 2010 record. 

I don't really care so much about that. I was thinking more in regards to creating music.. I just think they could have made some better kick ass music together. That first Wolfmother record was awesome.. I am sure they could have found some songs he could have covered though too.  Myles had the range to sing them all but I don't particularly think he sounds good singing them..

Anyway...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Naupis said:

I will forever be grateful to Myles for allowing Slash to embrace the GNR catalog again when the solo project first started.

There were so many songs we hadn't heard him play for 15-20 years and in the pre-reunion world seemed like we would never hear again.

Stockdale would never have given him that ability to play the GNR stuff the way Myles did.

Myles frankly is the only guy I can think of that Slash could have gotten to sing all the GNR and VR stuff as well as he did.

In that period where it looked like the reunion was never happening, Myles made it possible for Slash to thrill the GNR fans once again who never got to see him play the hits. That 2010-12 period was awesome, and I will always hold Myles in high regard for being the guy who largely made it happen.

100% agree

• Like 1

Just heard The River is Rising for the first time.

Sounds harmless enough. Myles vocals add a consistent smoothness too most Slash collaborations. 

I get the impression the band bang out tracks and if one becomes a stand out track then that's all well and good enough. 

Anastasia will probably remain the stand out of all stand out tracks. 

On 10/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, MaskingApathy said:

I like Sugar Cane also.

Sugar Cane is one of the few songs I like from LTD. It's a simple rocker but it's fun and seems like a good live song.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I wished he had stuck with Andrew Stockdale from the beginning. Unfortunately as @Free Bird said another singer doesn't seem likely at this point.. I would love to see him just do something different like a traditional blues album with that guy Jimmy Vivino he jammed with a couple times a few years back..

A mostly instrumental blues album would be the best thing Slash could release at this point IMO, that would be great. Another album with guest singers or another EP like the Universal Monsters soundtrack would be cool too.

By The Sword is one of the best songs on the s/t album but if there's anyone I wish he'd stuck with it's M Shadows.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:02 AM, Willis1988 said:

I love the song and I’m a huge Myles fan (Alter Bridge, Slash, solo).  What’s most impressive to me about Myles is how prolific he is. We talk about Slash never taking a break, but since Alter Bridge’s third album in 2010, Myles has recorded 10 full albums between his three projects, plus the two songs on Slash’s first album, something like 5 or 6 live albums, and a slew of guest appearances. I think this contributes to a lot of the “generic” talk. Myles has simply overextended himself. When you’re trying to write lyrics and melodies for three very different projects (more dramatic “metal” rock with AB, blues based sleazy hard rock with SMKC, and blues/country/Americana rock with his solo stuff) I imagine you could start repeating yourself after awhile without even realizing it. 

Hope Dexter didn’t read this. He’d have had a coronary reading about 10 albums in just over ten years. You can dislike Myles voice but he’s undeniably an artist and loves to create music. Axl is barely a blip on his radar these days.

• Like 1

To me it feels and sounds more like Myles is working assembly line. It's all so bland and boring because of him but Slash wants no drama and no challenge it seems. The music suffers a lot though, imo.

At this point, the most interesting he could would be another Slash & friends style album, but that's unlikely cause it's complicated and a lot of work. I totally understand where he's coming from, but is anybody really exciting about SMKC album Nr. 4,5,6...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

To me it feels and sounds more like Myles is working assembly line. It's all so bland and boring because of him but Slash wants no drama and no challenge it seems. The music suffers a lot though, imo.

At this point, the most interesting he could would be another Slash & friends style album, but that's unlikely cause it's complicated and a lot of work. I totally understand where he's coming from, but is anybody really exciting about SMKC album Nr. 4,5,6...

Me. Very excited too :lol:

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 10/24/2021 at 4:00 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Myles makes every song sound the same. As much as I like the guy it's just true. That's why all SMKC albums will always sound the same.

I was trying to think of a way of describing how his voice makes me feel and you more or less hit the nail on the head for me👍 

23 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Although I'd be very happy about a singer with more attitude and rawer vocals I'm grateful of every album Slash records. Even if it's Myles on vocals.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I’m excited. Slash albums are always fun and he’s about the only gig going for that style of rock and roll abandon (GNR don’t have it anymore).

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think Myles gets a raw deal. I totally see why some people can't enjoy his vocals, but he's done some excellent tracks with SMKC over the first three albums. Stuff like The Great Pretender, Beneath The Savage Sun, You're A Lie, The Unholy, The One You Loved Is Gone, Anastasia, 30 Years To Life is top drawer and as good as anything on Chinese Democracy if you ask me.

I would add Wicked Stone to that list 

• Like 2