SMKC's New Single - The River Is Rising.

Free Bird

Just listened to the track using a VPN... It's pretty good, very SMKC! 

I really like the pre-chorus and the chorus. That is definitely the best part of the song. I'm not sold on the tempo change in the middle though and I feel like Myles is missing a bit of emotion in his voice, this might be because they apparently recorded the vocals live as well. I think had they recorded the vocals separately it would be a bit better. It may be a mixing thing as well, I feel as though Myles is quite low in the mix?

Overall a pretty good song, I will definitely revisit it and I'm stoked for the record!

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

My Spotify doesn't have it listed, I can't find it there...

If you're using a VPN you can access the track without it's music video via Youtube Music, just search for "Slash The River is Rising" and it should come up! :)

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

1 minute ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I really like the pre-chorus and the chorus. That is definitely the best part of the song. I'm not sold on the tempo change in the middle though and I feel like Myles is missing a bit of emotion in his voice, this might be because they apparently recorded the vocals live as well. I think had they recorded the vocals separately it would be a bit better. It may be a mixing thing as well, I feel as though Myles is quite low in the mix?

Overall a pretty good song, I will definitely revisit it and I'm stoked for the record!

How does one do the VPN thing again? I’ve stayed up this late West Coast (USA) time and I might as well have something to show for it! Ha

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

How does one do the VPN thing again? I’ve stayed up this late West Coast (USA) time and I might as well have something to show for it! Ha

I've payed for Express VPN for a while so I just used that! There are probably some free ones as well, I remember some members talking about it in the Hard Skool thread when that was released so I would look there if I were you!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I used TunnelBear for Hard Skool. Worked fine.

Trying now for this one and it works as well :P

26 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

If you're using a VPN you can access the track without it's music video via Youtube Music, just search for "Slash The River is Rising" and it should come up! :)

How’s the solo? And how is the guitar playing in general? Is it more interesting than what Slash played on Hardschool and Absurd?

I know you probably don’t want to make the comparison, but I am curious 

2 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

How’s the solo? And how is the guitar playing in general? Is it more interesting than what Slash played on Hardschool and Absurd?

I liked it, it was a bit rushed maybe. It didn't jump out to me as something special, it wasn't bad either though. A pretty average high tempo rocker solo in my opinion. 

With that said, I'm more of a riff guy than a solo guy to be honest and I do really like the verse riff he played here!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

What's your opinion on the song? :)

I think it have to grow on me... like you said the chorus is the best part of it. The chorus is ok. The tempo change doesn't fit the song very well imo. The transition feels forced. 

But I have the feeling that the sound quality suffers from the VPN. Maybe the the experience is better with better quality and maybe some headphones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

I think it have to grow on me... like you said the chorus is the best part of it. The chorus is ok. The tempo change doesn't fit the song very well imo. The transition feels forced. 

But I have the feeling that the sound quality suffers from the VPN. Maybe the the experience is better with better quality and maybe some headphones. 

Sound like we have pretty similar thoughts on it then!

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

No, I thought the solo was nothing special. To me his playing on Absurd was more interesting. That's my first impression. 

But I usually don't like SMKCs first singles, and I'm convinced there will be interesting stuff on the record.

5 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I liked it, it was a bit rushed maybe. It didn't jump out to me as something special, it wasn't bad either though. A pretty average high tempo rocker solo in my opinion. 

With that said, I'm more of a riff guy than a solo guy to be honest and I do really like the verse riff he played here!

I dig the chorus riff the most :lol:

On a side note: Before the tempo change they build up for what I assumed would be a slower "slashy" solo but instead of doing that they go for the cliche rock tempo change which I think is a shame... I think the song would benefit from a cool slower solo there. Also that intro "riff" that is recurring throughout the song is pretty lame. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

That's great as well, didn't focus to much on it the first play through but it is great, that descending run he does on the fourth bar is really effective! 

I like what I hear on the chorus but I have no idea what you are talking about :lol:

Sorry, I have no clue about music theory.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

That's great as well, didn't focus to much on it the first play through but it is great, that descending run he does on the fourth bar is really effective! 

But I think we're talking about the same riff, first played from 0.54-0.57