Axl was suppose to sing Black Hole Sun with Soundgarden

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Axl sounds bad every single time he's trying Black Hole Sun. It's just not a song for him, not at all.

To be fair, I love Soundgarden but Chris Cornell never sang it like the recorded version live which has always been my favorite. His live vocals sounded almost too quiet during the verses. The choruses were good though.

8 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

But you were sold with Axl or the GNR version?

Musically the GN'R version is good, I really enjoyed the Westworld-inspired piano opening to the song. Axl, however, doesn't sound so great on the song.

For me, it would have been cool if they played it maybe 2-3 times max rather than keep it going the full tour.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Musically the GN'R version is good, I really enjoyed the Westworld-inspired piano opening to the song. Axl, however, doesn't sound so great on the song.

For me, it would have been cool if they played it maybe 2-3 times max rather than keep it going the full tour.

I gotta disagree. This is the worst cover of the band. Axl doesn't fit the song, Slash slide part is out of tune 95% , Duff harmonies has nothing to do with the song.

It gotta a little better with time. But it's a weak effort at best 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I quite liked Black Hole Sun when they stuck it in at the time, thinking it was a thing they'd do for a few shows as a tribute..........

Definitely one to shelve now. 

The should have shelved that one after the first couple of performances already. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I quite liked Black Hole Sun when they stuck it in at the time, thinking it was a thing they'd do for a few shows as a tribute..........

Definitely one to shelve now. 

Yeah there was a decent buzz because it was a nice tribute, but now when they play it you have to think it's 4yrs later and they are playing this instead of Patience or Don't cry or any of the other songs they have on their alts list. It is a nice tribute but it should be relegated to very, very rarely performed now, days like Chris's birthday or the date he passed or something like that! Then again!!! I'm sure the people at the show hearing it aren't complaining! it would have been much more special had they played it at Slane and then not played it again

• Like 3

On 10/6/2021 at 5:55 AM, CAFC Nick said:

Not sure about this one.

- GN'R live debut of BHS - May 27th 2017 (Slane Castle)

- Chris Cornell Tribute show - Jan 16th 2019

I think it would be more a case of Axl being lined up to sing it with Soundgarden as he had performed it with GN'R for over 18 months by the time the tribute show took place.

Boggles the mind that anyone, let alone Soundgarden themselves, would hear recordings of Axl singing that song in concert and think "Oh man that's great, we should do that with him."

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, axlslash said:

Boggles the mind that anyone, let alone Soundgarden themselves, would hear recordings of Axl singing that song in concert and think "Oh man that's great, we should do that with him."

They wouldn't care. They didn't even want to be there. Cornell's widow put the whole thing on and turned it into a Hollywood spectacle. Axl would've just added to the mainstream draw with Metallica and Foo Fighters. Vedder and McCready weren't there because of her.  Vocals certainly weren't taken into consideration if they let Juliette Lewis and Perry Farrell out there to sing Chris' songs. I love Jane's Addiction, but Perry was brutal and Lewis was even worse. The weird thing is, the list of guest performers was pretty much known by everyone there that night, but Axl wasn't on it. There weren't any huge surprises, either. I'm not saying he wasn't booked to play, but there wasn't even a rumor that he was going to be there. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, axljungle said:

I enjoyed a lot in 2017, Axl sang it very well 

Agreed. The more he played it, the more comfortable he was. It was one of the highlights of the Gdańsk show. An electric night on that evening. Best crowd I’ve been in for a concert.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoBucky said:

They wouldn't care. They didn't even want to be there. Cornell's widow put the whole thing on and turned it into a Hollywood spectacle. Axl would've just added to the mainstream draw with Metallica and Foo Fighters. Vedder and McCready weren't there because of her.  Vocals certainly weren't taken into consideration if they let Juliette Lewis and Perry Farrell out there to sing Chris' songs. I love Jane's Addiction, but Perry was brutal and Lewis was even worse. The weird thing is, the list of guest performers was pretty much known by everyone there that night, but Axl wasn't on it. There weren't any huge surprises, either. I'm not saying he wasn't booked to play, but there wasn't even a rumor that he was going to be there. 

That being said there were some killer moments that night.  Fiona Apple singing All Night Thing was unexpected (until her last min announcement) and was amazing

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 11:43 AM, Tom2112 said:

Yeah there was a decent buzz because it was a nice tribute, but now when they play it you have to think it's 4yrs later and they are playing this instead of Patience or Don't cry or any of the other songs they have on their alts list. It is a nice tribute but it should be relegated to very, very rarely performed now, days like Chris's birthday or the date he passed or something like that! Then again!!! I'm sure the people at the show hearing it aren't complaining! it would have been much more special had they played it at Slane and then not played it again

I feel like it shows how much Axl respected Chris Cornell and likes the song that it's become a semi-regular part of the setlist.

It's not even the first Soundgarden cover they did since they covered a brief part of Big Dumb Sex on TSI. Always been interesting seeing Axl perform the song as it came out in 1994 right when he became a recluse.

13 hours ago, J Dog said:

Give him a break riding lawnmowers only go so fast :lol:

I like a lot of Brand’s older stuff

The Story, Give Up The Ghost and Beer Creek are gret records!!

The Firewatchers Daughter has some good moments...

But I believe she lost a little bit of herself after Trump  election

Edited by Beto 22

On 10/9/2021 at 1:45 AM, WhazUp said:

That being said there were some killer moments that night.  Fiona Apple singing All Night Thing was unexpected (until her last min announcement) and was amazing

It was amazing indeed. Would like to know if had Axl been there, he would try to talk to her. I think he's still a fan, but I'm not sure she would want that.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

It was amazing indeed. Would like to know if had Axl been there, he would try to talk to her. I think he's still a fan, but I'm not sure she would want that.

Axl's one of those guys that other famous people get starstruck over. I'm sure he'd be cool enough with her if he wanted to approach her. I think he mentioned her when talking about current music he was listening to during that Kurt Loder interview from November 1999.

2 minutes ago, mystery said:

Axl's one of those guys that other famous people get starstruck over. I'm sure he'd be cool enough with her if he wanted to approach her. I think he mentioned her when talking about current music he was listening to during that Kurt Loder interview from November 1999.

He did. Back then, he said her album was heavy (of course, he was talking about the lyrics). I think he mentioned her also as a great singer. 

• Like 1