Welcome to the jungle on a Nissan commercial

Just saw a commercial for a new Nissan that has welcome to jungle playing throughout. It said something about Hollywood, but I didn’t quite catch it. Anyway, I was wondering, how many commercials have featured GNR? I know the 06’ Harley commercial that had better, and one had paradise city. I once saw a commercial a few days before Chinese democracy was released, and that’s about all I could think of. I’m sure I’m missing some. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Tons of commercials have featured GnR tracks!

Gatorade used WttJ once. Taco Bell used WttJ once. Johnson & Johnson used a cover of SCOM once. Some beer used a cover of Patience once. The commercials for the movie The Internship used Paradise City. The list goes on…

I somehow missed every single one of those lol. I did remember the Budweiser soccer commercial that had Axl in it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Just saw a commercial for a new Nissan that has welcome to jungle playing throughout. It said something about Hollywood, but I didn’t quite catch it. Anyway, I was wondering, how many commercials have featured GNR? I know the 06’ Harley commercial that had better, and one had paradise city. I once saw a commercial a few days before Chinese democracy was released, and that’s about all I could think of. I’m sure I’m missing some. 

Axl's commercial to BUDWEISSER beer in Brazil.

1 hour ago, cooker said:

Unfortunately it's $lash and Axl Ro$e

VW+SLASH.jpg?format=1000w

You're an idiot if you don't allow your music to be used in commercials, TV, video games and movies.  If you think you're going to make any money by selling just CD's, your crazy.  Every avenue for an income source needs to be utilized if you want to support yourself in the music business these days.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cineater said:

You're an idiot if you don't allow your music to be used in commercials, TV, video games and movies.  If you think you're going to make any money by selling just CD's, your crazy.  Every avenue for an income source needs to be utilized if you want to support yourself in the music business these days.

I was being sarcastic - There was a time on this form that certain members would spell Slash - $lash - 

• Like 1

I'm a purist, so it's always bothered me. Even back when they started playing it during NFL kickoffs. But it didn't get to the point of making want to vomit until I saw Axl Fuckin' Rose slowly raising a Budweiser. For me, that was where shit just went too far.

GNR aren't the only ones though. Seems the vast majority of rock stars lose their ideals at a certain point. Just look at fucking Metallica singing on stage with Hanna Montana for crying out loud.

:unsure:

A few quotes from Slash pre-2010:

Being asked why he didn't collaborate with Puff Daddy: "For one, I don't like him. I think he's flying on borrowed wings as it is" [Guitar, September 1998].

After having played with Puff Daddy only a year later: "Puff Daddy was one of those phone calls where I just wanted to go play. It’s very spontaneous. I live for experiences" [The San Francisco Examiner & Chronicle, October 15, 2000].

But apparently he drew the line with Britney Spears: "There’s cool, and then there’s that real fine line, and then there’s un-cool" [The South bend Tribune, March 3, 2001].

So Puff Daddy was cool?

After doing the VW commercial (image above) and doing Guitar Hero III: "Let's be clear: The monetary thing had nothing to do with either of those projects. I am very picky about what I get involved with on a corporate level, and I turn down lots of offers. The Guitar Hero thing was a chance I took because I liked the game, and the VW/First Act thing didn't pay me enough to f"*k with my credibility, so to speak. I agreed to do that commercial when I found out it was being directed by my all-time favorite actor, director, and Spinal Tap member, Christopher Guest, and because I thought those stacks of Volkswagens were pretty cool" [Guitar Player, June 2008].

So Slash is picky and since he didn't earn much money his credibility was intact?

He then played at a Microsoft keynote address: "I have to admit that I had a lot of trepidation about that at first. I mean, I don’t know what a keynote speech is, nor do I hang out in those types of corporate circles. But it was cool, and it was nice to meet Bill, who is someone I have a lot of respect for. Plus, I’m a pretty easygoing guy. I'll do all kinds of stupid shit" [Guitar World, June 2008].

Ah, that was just some stupid shit.

Personally I have no problems with Slash collaborating with just about anyone, whether it is Black Eyed Peas, Cypress Hill, Rihanna, Puff Daddy or lending out his image to various commercial efforts or corporate thingies - just be honest about it. 

• Like 1

Integrity doesn't pay the bills. Most of them have done cringe worthy commercial crap over the years. I'm sure part of the issue is that at the height of their fame they were reckless with the money coming in and possibly taken advantage of.

It's an old story and famous rockstars who manage the money well when young are a rarity. Axl at least realised this (he sought advice from Jagger) but I think lacked the ability for whatever reason to execute it perfectly.

Since the reunion they could afford to be really picky but probably think fuck it. In the age of social media influencers and all sorts of other commodified crap the concept of 'selling out' barely exists anymore, it's just a relic from a time when music subcultures ruled the world.

• Like 2

Not to specifically point out Guns but why do artists need to be poor to have integrity? Artists technically “sold out” when they started to get paid for club gigs. Some got $ to record an album. It’s always been a business. 

Licensing music for commercials is bad, but licensing music for big budget films or images for t-shirts is somehow good? It’s the same thing 

Get the $ while you can if you’re an artist. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Just look at royalties for physical media 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1