Axl from ’99, ’05 and ’08

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There's been a lot of wild speculation regarding Axl's face and how he looked different in the '00s compared to the '90s. Personally I don't think he had facial surgery. I lean toward to it being due to a combination of chemical peels (and maybe bottox), age, and likely some health issues, physical (?) and mental.

As for the '00s, with the exception of the video from the NBA finals in June 2001, where there was something very off and unhealthy about him (not only his face, but his body language and general demeanour), his face didn't really change between 2001 and 2006/07. The "strangeness" in 2002 was mostly the result of the cornrows, how he dressed and some bad pictures (the one in @Neider's collage is not representative of how he looked that year - he looks more like himself in pictures and videos from the 2002 shows). It's just that, as he grew older, he couldn't look great in every picture regardless of face expression, light, etc., like he did when he was young. In 2006, the beard, what he wore and his more extroverted and confident demeanour made all the difference. In 2006 pics where he's clean-shaven, his face doesn't look different than it did three years before:

axl-rose-of-guns-n-roses-during-kroq-inl

I agree that he looks absolutely sickly in the NBA 2001 interview. I'd argue, however, it's actually one of the more laid back interviews he's given. Knowing how these sports interviews typically go, I would be willing to bet that the interviewer either: a) didn't even know who Axl was (someone on the crew told him right before they approached him) or b) he knew it was the lead singer of Guns N' Roses, but had no idea this was essentially the equivalent of getting an "on the street" interview with the music industry (at the time) equivalent of Howard Hughes or J.D. Salinger. Axl remains active enough now that even when he disappears for a minute, we assume he'll be back. At this time it still seemed like every live performance could be his last. 

If I had to guess why Axl seems so uncomfortable in the NBA interview, I would imagine he really did not know how the interview would go, and was probably bracing himself for Guns n' Roses related questions he wanted to evade. You can see him lighten up as the interview goes on, and I'm willing to bet it was because he realized it would be a sports only interview. It's not dissimilar to how Axl got pissy/defensive at points when people asked him GN'R questions in the 2008 forum chats, but he actually gave very humorous and self-effacing answers to more "silly" questions unrelated to music. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

I'm betting he did chemical peels which will smooth the facial skin thus giving it a shiny smooth looking appearance. It can also tighten the face alittle depending.

But his 2006 look is superior :shades: Who ever thought Axl would get dreds/rows and pull them off so well?

• Like 2

@lost un the jungle In your post of Axl photos in 2001, could you change what HoB says for The Joint later that year? Because those photos are from that (those) show on December 29 and 31, 2001. HoB was a whole year earlier (01.01.01), and in a post I did later, there are photos of Axl at that show.

21 minutes ago, Neider said:

@lost un the jungle In your post of Axl photos in 2001, could you change what HoB says for The Joint later that year? Because those photos are from that (those) show on December 29 and 31, 2001. HoB was a whole year earlier (01.01.01), and in a post I did later, there are photos of Axl at that show.

Done! I changed the title where the photos are listed to avoid confusion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

The holy grail now is to get a 2008 picture. I wonder if he shaved his head after the dreads were removed, had implants or what was the deal with this weird hair

These are cornrows, you can undo them and end up with still having your hair, if a bit messed up for a while.

7 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

yes, but this was not 100% Axl's hair, he had them mixed with fake hair or extensions, I don't know. If he never had a hair issue I wonder why he did this....

I think his braids from 2002-03 were with extensions, but in 2006 they looked like they were made with 100% his hair. Still, in 2006 he looked on fire, and he would have looked even better had he had his 2001 HoB and RIR hair.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Destiny said:

But his 2006 look is superior :shades: Who ever thought Axl would get dreds/rows and pull them off so well?

He looked aces and sounded killer live. But a lot of people still complained about the cornrows at the time.

There was a running gag that he was aping the looks of Sean Paul.

SeanPaulAtGrammy.jpg

Edited by denin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

The holy grail now is to get a 2008 picture. I wonder if he shaved his head after the dreads were removed, had implants or what was the deal with this weird hair

For me it's more pictures from the late 90's, particularly 1999. I'm really curious to see how he looked at the tail end of that decade. It's also close enough to the HOB show that was 01/01/2001 to really gauge how much he changed in a relatively short period of time. Also would show how he looked when he recorded the bulk of Chinese Democracy.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

My take

Hair transplant in 98

Natural hair and extensions woven in 99-2001

Extensions braided into natural hair 2002-2008

Another transplant in 2008

Natural hair 2009-2019

Another transplant in 2019

So many musicians have had transplants, wear wigs, weaves, extensions use hair fillers/fibers/ scalp coloring/pigmentation surgery.

No reason to think what Axl did was weird  

This about sums it up. Having hair work or light cosmetic work done isn't weird, it's that there's very little continuity between 1993-94 Axl and the guy who reemerged in 2001. The pics that leaked out in recent years fill in some gaps but there's still a lot of questions.

I'm of the belief that Axl in 1999 looked similar to the Axl from the early 90's albeit aged a bit, most notably in the eyes and with a bit more weight on him. 2000 is when he went through the process of looking younger which really changed his face and gave him way thicker hair than he previously had.

Edited by mystery

On 10/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, Blackstar said:

Jaw surgery? :lol: I don't think so.  I understand the speculation about facelift (even though I don't think he had that, either), but why would he have jaw surgery?

These are from 2002:

RCNPCx-YIdg.jpg?size=457x360&quality=96&

x_9ff6a840.jpg

HYpvPfuFRyw.jpg?size=640x640&quality=96&

1mJl63wbGdw.jpg?size=698x621&quality=96&

From 2003:

x_a648f30a.jpg

x_3d50e137.jpg

Not sure which year (2002 or 2003) these are from:

y_4b3746a7.jpg

x_619e2e77.jpg

x_6e319c93.jpg

x_514dcc00.jpg

y_cd8d9116.jpg

Is he wearing a Seahawks jersey in the picture third from bottom? Duff would have surely approved.

2 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Is he wearing a Seahawks jersey in the picture third from bottom? Duff would have surely approved.

Seems so. Axl follows or followed sports but I don't think it's something he's ever discussed much. The Seahawks had just changed to this jersey the year before but his jersey looks blank on the front. This was at the height of his jersey wearing era but he was usually wearing Jerry Rice jerseys. 

Edited by mystery

On 1/1/2022 at 8:40 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

My take

Hair transplant in 98

Natural hair and extensions woven in 99-2001

Extensions braided into natural hair 2002-2008

Another transplant in 2008

Natural hair 2009-2019

Another transplant in 2019

So many musicians have had transplants, wear wigs, weaves, extensions use hair fillers/fibers/ scalp coloring/pigmentation surgery.

No reason to think what Axl did was weird  

He did a hair transplant in 2019 based on what?