Axl from ’99, ’05 and ’08

5 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

yes, might be. I heard here in Argentina that he had a girlfriend in Buenos Aires by 2000, he made an interview in the local radio

Never heard he had girlfriend in BS AS, i just know he had an brazilian girlfriend. She was an famous TV hostess.

He was doing a few interviews in early 2009, I wonder if any of them were in person? Also I would've gladly taken Axl from 2002-2007 with the hair he had in 2001. Even if he was wearing a wig it looked so much better than the braids. I'm guessing a lot of it was extensions because his lightly braided hair from the Joint shows looks nothing like how it was from 2002-2007.

14 minutes ago, mystery said:

He was doing a few interviews in early 2009, I wonder if any of them were in person? Also I would've gladly taken Axl from 2002-2007 with the hair he had in 2001. Even if he was wearing a wig it looked so much better than the braids. I'm guessing a lot of it was extensions because his lightly braided hair from the Joint shows looks nothing like how it was from 2002-2007.

He did only three interviews in early 2009: Spinner with Del James, Billboard and The Oakland Press (the latter was not known and was only discovered recently). Billboard and Oakland Press were via email. Only the Del James one seems to have been in person (or on the phone, more likely).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Damn… as they say out there, I came looking for copper and I got gold. Thank you very much to all! The photo I was looking for is the one of Axl in a red shirt, the face and beard from 2006 but the braids from 2002—he really looks great there.

On 10/9/2021 at 3:20 PM, Blackstar said:

2003, probably. He had gone shopping with Beta.

Yes, I’m also sure it’s 2003. Have you seen the photo from that same year where he is smoking a large cigar? He looks the same as those photos. The most curious thing is that his face no longer looks like it did in 2002, but it looked like that of the beginning of 2001 (RIR and HoB).

16 hours ago, mystery said:

Axl really latched on to hip hop fashion in that era. It was definitely the style for younger people at the time but it didn't suit him at all. He came back in 2006 with a completely different, more mature style that would still look good today.

I totally agree, although I think he already had a taste for the hip-hop look since the UYI tour.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, lost un the jungle said:

2001 HOB:

I think only the first photo is of HoB (01.01.01), but I am 100% sure that the rest are at the end of the year at The Joint, Las Vegas shows on December 29 and 31 (by the way, there is no proshot, soundboard or audience recording of that show, unlike HoB and RIR). I recently saw the entire HoB show and he looks the same as days later at RIR, he even wears the same outfits except the one he wore in Paradise City in Rio.

Although his face in 2001 looked unnaturally young, the shows at the beginning and end of the year show an Axl looking pretty good, but in the NBA mid-year he looks ¿sick?, and then in 2002 he looks very different again. Between 1998-2009 he looked a thousand different ways, but since 2016 he looks the same despite the 2019 haircut. Quite a mystery the guy haha.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mystery said:

Also I would've gladly taken Axl from 2002-2007 with the hair he had in 2001. Even if he was wearing a wig it looked so much better than the braids. I'm guessing a lot of it was extensions because his lightly braided hair from the Joint shows looks nothing like how it was from 2002-2007.

Yup, I totally agree with what you say. Axl’s face (and outfits, voice and attitude) from 2006 was flawless, only slightly different from 1994 and 1998, so with 2001 hair he would have looked much better. Hopefully someday some Photoshop expert will dare to edit a photo of Axl from 2006 with hair from 2001.

3 minutes ago, Neider said:

I think only the first photo is of HoB (01.01.01), but I am 100% sure that the rest are at the end of the year at The Joint, Las Vegas shows on December 29 and 31 (by the way, there is no proshot, soundboard or audience recording of that show, unlike HoB and RIR). I recently saw the entire HoB show and he looks the same as days later at RIR, he even wears the same outfits except the one he wore in Paradise City in Rio.

The first one is also from the Joint (Dec. 2001). He wore that glossy blue jacket at the shows

x_116a9c38.jpg

SSReIGdzqzA.jpg?size=750x579&quality=96&

There are pictures, the one below, specifically, from late 2001 (I'm not sure if it's from the Joint shows) where his face looks stranger, but maybe it's the light or something:

x_de98e345.jpg

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The first one is also from the Joint (Dec. 2001). He wore that glossy blue jacket at the shows

x_116a9c38.jpg

SSReIGdzqzA.jpg?size=750x579&quality=96&

There are pictures, the one below, specifically, from late 2001 (I'm not sure if it's from the Joint shows) where his face looks stranger, but maybe it's the light or something:

x_de98e345.jpg

There's some fan accounts I was reading last night regarding the Joint shows. Someone mentioned chatting and taking a picture of Axl on January 1, 2002 and that Axl was wearing a Jerry Rice jersey. This may be of that.

Edit: The account is towards the bottom of this page: https://www.a-4-d.com/t2047-2001-12-31-the-joint-hard-rock-hotel-las-vegas-usa

Edited by mystery