Axl from ’99, ’05 and ’08

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The first one is also from the Joint (Dec. 2001). He wore that glossy blue jacket at the shows

x_116a9c38.jpg

SSReIGdzqzA.jpg?size=750x579&quality=96&

There are pictures, the one below, specifically, from late 2001 (I'm not sure if it's from the Joint shows) where his face looks stranger, but maybe it's the light or something:

x_de98e345.jpg

Oh, I didn’t know that that was from The Joint too. So the post of lost un the jungle doesn’t have any from HoB, which was practically a whole year before The Joint. And although in the images of The Joint concert, Axl looks good, in that last one he looks too weird, I have no words to describe him.

Some photos of HoB (01.01.01):

Guns+N%2527+Roses+House+Of+Blues%252C+La

OEbYrYEcSM278a3t6h0DALwyeQgWVVbbENvhIxeD

R-13288041-1551444295-8666.jpeg.jpg

ffa0894b7b6f0696200b1a0d4f767936.jpg

And others photos from 2001, In the first he look very good, but in second not much. Looks like two different people:

tumblr_p0qilxzorp1t040y2o1_1280.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERjqtOeXsAEPNEI.jpg

1 hour ago, Neider said:

And others photos from 2001, In the first he look very good, but in second not much. Looks like two different people:

Yes, the first one is from January 2001 and the second one is from the NBA finals in June, so they are 6 months apart.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He did only three interviews in early 2009: Spinner with Del James, Billboard and The Oakland Press (the latter was not known and was only discovered recently). Billboard and Oakland Press were via email. Only the Del James one seems to have been in person (or on the phone, more likely).

" interview" with Del James is same to be interviewee for him MOM.....:D

53 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Shame we have nothing from the late 2001 House of Blues shows. According to people who were there and other media reviews, he was on fire and confident in a way he had not been at the January 2001 HOB show and RIR III. 

The photos in the lost un the jungle post are all from the show you say, at the end of 2001 (December 29 and 31, I think), but it was not at HoB but at The Joint, also in Las Vegas. In HoB they played on 01.01.01, and above I put some photos of that show.

That is the post. It says the photos are from HoB but no, they really are all from The Joint exactly one year after HoB:

Edited by Neider

Well, with some photos of Axl in the Wilderness Years, I have made this collage including up to 2005 (thanks Blackstar for the photo). Although the 2001 change from 94-98 is shocking, the 2002 change is even more so, Axl looked very different from 2001, and then in 2003 his face was back to 2001.

qOQbuZi.jpg

And 2006:

zH2Q6om.jpg

Now we only need photos from 1999, 2004, 2008 and 2015, and maybe some better from 2000. We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this of the lost years of Axl.

7 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I hadn't realized he'd completely cut his hair off in the late 90's. It's truly bizarre how different he looks in the 2000's. It's like he had facial reconstructive surgery. It also looks certain that he had hair implants.

No doubt. I think hair implants are more common in the music and entertainment industry than people realize. Even the athletes (Tom Brady being the most famous) are in on that.

52 minutes ago, Neider said:

The photos in the lost un the jungle post are all from the show you say, at the end of 2001 (December 29 and 31, I think), but it was not at HoB but at The Joint, also in Las Vegas. In HoB they played on 01.01.01, and above I put some photos of that show.

That is the post. It says the photos are from HoB but no, they really are all from The Joint exactly one year after HoB:

My apologies. I meant The Joint: bran lapse. 

Also, this was in one of the review of the end of 12.31.2001 show (the one mentioned earlier where the reviewer discussed talking with Axl): 

@Peleto thread 

He also said that they recorded 4 new versions of Knockin' on Heavens door. He said one was reggae, one was "eclectic," and the version they played in concert, which is a much more slowed down version, which I actually like better than the version on Use Your Illusion II

Also, legitimate question here. How do we know the "2003" pics were not from 2002 (when he had the same style braids)? How do we know the "2005" picture was not form 2003/2004? Just curious. I'd always heard the "2005" picture was 2004. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

My apologies. I meant The Joint: bran lapse. 

Also, this was in one of the review of the end of 12.31.2001 show (the one mentioned earlier where the reviewer discussed talking with Axl): 

@Peleto thread 

He also said that they recorded 4 new versions of Knockin' on Heavens door. He said one was reggae, one was "eclectic," and the version they played in concert, which is a much more slowed down version, which I actually like better than the version on Use Your Illusion II

Also, legitimate question here. How do we know the "2003" pics were not from 2002 (when he had the same style braids)? How do we know the "2005" picture was not form 2003/2004? Just curious. I'd always heard the "2005" picture was 2004. 

Album with 4 different versions of KOHD (all with 1999 vocals) confirmed :awesomeface:

We know for certain that the "2003 pictures" (Axl in the white shirt) are from that year, because they're from a party at the Rainbow Bar & Grill he was at in June 2003:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/guns-n-roses-singer-axl-rose-chats-with-fans-outside-the-news-photo/2529415

The "2005" picture could have indeed been from 2004.

46 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I hadn't realized he'd completely cut his hair off in the late 90's. It's truly bizarre how different he looks in the 2000's. It's like he had facial reconstructive surgery. It also looks certain that he had hair implants.

In 2001 he looks unnaturally young, but personally I think he looked good (except in the NBA). Already in 2006 his face is not bizarre (or well, maybe the skin a little because of the age and the botox that he received in 2000-02), in 2006 he looked incredible and there are few differences of his face with that of 1994.

48 minutes ago, UseYourDelusion said:

Something was just stronger and looked more comfortable about him that year than the 2001-2002 era. 

Still, if you compare 2001 and 2002, he looks like two totally different people. Does anyone know what happened to him after The Joint show? It’s only months apart from the 2002 tour, but the guy seems radically different. On The Joint he looked like HoB and RIR, but then on the 2002 tour he looked really bad. The worst thing about it is that in the 2003 photos, Axl has his 2001 face again and then in 2004 or 2005 he almost looks like the best Axl of the century, from 2006.

There's been a lot of wild speculation regarding Axl's face and how he looked different in the '00s compared to the '90s. Personally I don't think he had facial surgery. I lean toward to it being due to a combination of chemical peels (and maybe bottox), age, and likely some health issues, physical (?) and mental.

As for the '00s, with the exception of the video from the NBA finals in June 2001, where there was something very off and unhealthy about him (not only his face, but his body language and general demeanour), his face didn't really change between 2001 and 2006/07. The "strangeness" in 2002 was mostly the result of the cornrows, how he dressed and some bad pictures (the one in @Neider's collage is not representative of how he looked that year - he looks more like himself in pictures and videos from the 2002 shows). It's just that, as he grew older, he couldn't look great in every picture regardless of face expression, light, etc., like he did when he was young. In 2006, the beard, what he wore and his more extroverted and confident demeanour made all the difference. In 2006 pics where he's clean-shaven, his face doesn't look different than it did three years before:

axl-rose-of-guns-n-roses-during-kroq-inl

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There's been a lot of wild speculation regarding Axl's face and how he looked different in the '00s compared to the '90s. Personally I don't think he had facial surgery. I lean toward to it being due to a combination of chemical peels (and maybe bottox), age, and likely some health issues, physical (?) and mental.

As for the '00s, with the exception of the video from the NBA finals in June 2001, where there was something very off and unhealthy about him (not only his face, but his body language and general demeanour), his face didn't really change between 2001 and 2006/07. The "strangeness" in 2002 was mostly the result of the cornrows, how he dressed and some bad pictures (the one in @Neider's collage is not representative of how he looked that year - he looks more like himself in pictures and videos from the 2002 shows). It's just that, as he grew older, he couldn't look great in every picture regardless of face expression, light, etc., like he did when he was young. In 2006, the beard, what he wore and his more extroverted and confident demeanour made all the difference. In 2006 pics where he's clean-shaven, his face doesn't look different than it did three years before:

It’s true, although I think at least he had jaw surgery before 2001 (from that year on he looks more square, Superman-like), plus treatments like botox that made him look younger in 2001 than in 1998. In 2002 he looked weird (ok, the photo I chose was pretty bad because he’s laughing and not the others), but maybe it was because of more botox, dyed eyebrows, braids and huge sports outfits.

As you say, I think the most important factors to determine if he looked good or bad in those years, are the beard, hairstyle, outfits and definitely the attitude. Axl from 2006 with hair from 2001 would have been a crossover with himself from late-UYI Tour, I think.

I even dare to say that if Axl had worn a beard in 2001-02, we would not even talk about bizarre changes in his face but only his age, hair and outfits (and of course, voice. Although 2001 sounds good to me, and at the end of the 2002 tour he was singing decent, and 2006 was one of his best years overall).

15 minutes ago, Neider said:

It’s true, although I think at least he had jaw surgery before 2001 (from that year on he looks more square, Superman-like), plus treatments like botox that made him look younger in 2001 than in 1998. In 2002 he looked weird (ok, the photo I chose was pretty bad because he’s laughing and not the others), but maybe it was because of more botox, dyed eyebrows, braids and huge sports outfits.

As you say, I think the most important factors to determine if he looked good or bad in those years, are the beard, hairstyle, outfits and definitely the attitude. Axl from 2006 with hair from 2001 would have been a crossover with himself from late-UYI Tour, I think.

I even dare to say that if Axl had worn a beard in 2001-02, we would not even talk about bizarre changes in his face but only his age, hair and outfits (and of course, voice. Although 2001 sounds good to me, and at the end of the 2002 tour he was singing decent, and 2006 was one of his best years overall).

Jaw surgery? :lol: I don't think so.  I understand the speculation about facelift (even though I don't think he had that, either), but why would he have jaw surgery?

These are from 2002:

RCNPCx-YIdg.jpg?size=457x360&quality=96&

x_9ff6a840.jpg

HYpvPfuFRyw.jpg?size=640x640&quality=96&

1mJl63wbGdw.jpg?size=698x621&quality=96&

From 2003:

x_a648f30a.jpg

x_3d50e137.jpg

Not sure which year (2002 or 2003) these are from:

y_4b3746a7.jpg

x_619e2e77.jpg

x_6e319c93.jpg

x_514dcc00.jpg

y_cd8d9116.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Jaw surgery? :lol: I don't think so.  I understand the speculation about facelift (even though I don't think he had that, either), but why would he have jaw surgery?

I think I explained wrong, sorry. :shrugs: What I was referring to is that his chin / jaw in 2001 seemed much more square and reminds me of those facial tightening surgeries, where the shape of the chin sometimes changes (as well as the nose with rhinoplasty, for example).

5 minutes ago, Neider said:

I think I explained wrong, sorry. :shrugs: What I was referring to is that his chin / jaw in 2001 seemed much more square and reminds me of those facial tightening surgeries, where the shape of the chin sometimes changes (as well as the nose with rhinoplasty, for example).

Oh, okay. But I really don't see any difference in the shape of his jaw. It depends on whether he's clean shaven or has a beard.

tumblr_ldtcctrfE91qe2osko1_500_400x400.p

Also his face in the '00s was fuller, so he had more "meat" there, too.

The main change I see is his eyes - a bit the shape, but mostly his look.

The way his jaw looks is probably from a lack of fat in that area. His facial structure in some of those pics looks like how he looked in the 80s/90s. What makes him look odd is how smoothed out his face looks and how tight his eyes look. He was 100% trying to look younger in those years and not like a guy who lived a nocturnal lifestyle who possibly had heavy looking eyes or wrinkles. He was compensating way too hard then. 

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The first one is also from the Joint (Dec. 2001). He wore that glossy blue jacket at the shows

x_116a9c38.jpg

SSReIGdzqzA.jpg?size=750x579&quality=96&

There are pictures, the one below, specifically, from late 2001 (I'm not sure if it's from the Joint shows) where his face looks stranger, but maybe it's the light or something:

x_de98e345.jpg

Regarding the "jaw thing", it depends on the picture you look at. But definetly there is something with his skin pigmentation/colour that is odd in some pictures, but overall he looks great to me.

22 hours ago, Neider said:

tumblr_p0qilxzorp1t040y2o1_1280.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERjqtOeXsAEPNEI.jpg

This last picture is awesome. He is dressed like the other picture with a girl we were discussing if was '00 or '01.

5 hours ago, Neider said:

Well, with some photos of Axl in the Wilderness Years, I have made this collage including up to 2005 (thanks Blackstar for the photo). Although the 2001 change from 94-98 is shocking, the 2002 change is even more so, Axl looked very different from 2001, and then in 2003 his face was back to 2001.

qOQbuZi.jpg

Most shocking to me was seeing him that fat in 1998. If you look at the 1997 picture he is still skinny but then he gain lot of weight, he was swollen as hell there (meds?), then he put lot of weight out and maybe there he got botox or some weird shit. I remember watching 2006 concerts and you can see how shiny his face is when he is sweating, I think because of botox.

I wonder if they had played RIR 2004 his look would be like 02/03 or the one in the last picture?

On 10/10/2021 at 5:58 PM, Blackstar said:

He did only three interviews in early 2009: Spinner with Del James, Billboard and The Oakland Press (the latter was not known and was only discovered recently). Billboard and Oakland Press were via email. Only the Del James one seems to have been in person (or on the phone, more likely).

How was it that the 2009 interview with The Oakland Press did not get discovered until recently? Did they just post it this year? I Googled it and read it. It may be the most down-to-Earth and laid-back Axl sounded in 2008/2009 between the forum chats and other interviews. Admittedly, the interviewer asked some softball questions, but still, some of his other interviews were downright venomous. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

1 minute ago, themadcaplaughs said:

How was it that the 2009 interview with The Oakland Press did not get discovered until recently? Did they just post it this year? I Googled it and read it. It may be the most down-to-Earth and laid-back Axl sounded in 2008/2009 between the forum chats and other interviews. Admittedly, the interviewer asked some softball questions, but still, some of his other interviews were downright venomous. 

I really don't know... After I came across it through google, I searched it in a newspapers archive site and it was there with 2009 date. Maybe it's because it was a local newspaper in Michigan and the online edition was for subscribers only then (and out of the radar of sites like Blabbermouth, etc.)? It's still strange, though, that an Axl interview went totally unnoticed by the fans.

What's even stranger is that the interviewer, Gary Graff (a veteran music journalist who has followed the band and done interviews since the '80s) said that the interview was published in other outlets, as well (didn't say which):

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/223987-happy-12th-birthday-chinese-democracy/?do=findComment&comment=4851857

I agree it's a good interview.