Jump to content

Is Hard Skool the first GNR song that sounds like GNR in 30 years?


Recommended Posts

It sounds like Axl's vocals with Slash's guitar so yeah it sounds like GN'R ... I like Chinese and i'm not going into the discussion if is GNR or is not. The GNR the world fell in love with was Axl with Slash and yeah of course for most casuals it sounds like GN'R because it's Slash on it. Everyone i know i showed them the song says the same also video reactions from YouTube too ... So yeah there's this classic GNR sounding vibe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree. Chinese Democracy (the song) sounded like a 2000's version of GN'R. Which is exactly what it was.

It is one of the songs on the album where I actually prefer the finished song over the demo.

Hard Skool has a good chorus, but when Axl sings "...every chance was given" and whatever he sings in the second verse in the same ugly pitch almost makes me hate the song.

You go from that into full rasp on the chorus. 

I do however like what Slash and Duff did with the song. To bad the vocals are a lot older and a bit buried in the mix.

That said, Oklahoma was also veeeeery GN'R sounding. I'd love to hear whatever became of that demo.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I disagree. Chinese Democracy (the song) sounded like a 2000's version of GN'R. Which is exactly what it was.

It is one of the songs on the album where I actually prefer the finished song over the demo.

Hard Skool has a good chorus, but when Axl sings "...every chance was given" and whatever he sings in the second verse in the same ugly pitch almost makes me hate the song.

You go from that into full rasp on the chorus. 

I do however like what Slash and Duff did with the song. To bad the vocals are a lot older and a bit buried in the mix.

That said, Oklahoma was also veeeeery GN'R sounding. I'd love to hear whatever became of that demo.

Chinese sounded like Axl's version of GNR in 2000's. We wouldn't know how the band would sound with Slash and Duff back then. More GNRish (?) For sure

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, agustingloger said:

Chinese sounded like Axl's version of GNR in 2000's. We wouldn't know how the band would sound with Slash and Duff back then. More GNRish (?) For sure

Well, Chinese Democracy (song) is just modern hard rock from the 2000s, nothing more. Velvet Revolver’s Slither sound is similar, and there were three ex-GNR members there.

I repeat again, few people criticize that Sgt. Peepers doesn’t sound like A Hard Day’s Night, that Some Girls doesn’t sound like 12 x 5, or that Physical Graffiti and Led Zeppelin III don’t sound like the first two Zeppelin albums. Even UYIs don’t sound like Appetite, so maybe there are some who say that the last song with a GNR sound was Rocket Queen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

That said, Oklahoma was also veeeeery GN'R sounding. I'd love to hear whatever became of that demo.

Years ago, I was told it was nothing special, with vocals sounding a bit like IRS.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Neider said:

Well, Chinese Democracy (song) is just modern hard rock from the 2000s, nothing more. Velvet Revolver’s Slither sound is similar, and there were three ex-GNR members there.

I repeat again, few people criticize that Sgt. Peepers doesn’t sound like A Hard Day’s Night, that Some Girls doesn’t sound like 12 x 5, or that Physical Graffiti and Led Zeppelin III don’t sound like the first two Zeppelin albums. Even UYIs don’t sound like Appetite, so maybe there are some who say that the last song with a GNR sound was Rocket Queen.

I think VR sounds nothing like Chinese Democracy. VR does sound more GNR musically for me. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I think VR sounds nothing like Chinese Democracy. VR does sound more GNR musically for me. 

My post made reference to Slither sounding similar to Chinese Democracy (song), both being that modern hard rock from the 2000s, not to VR in general compared to CD (album).

Although VR seems totally valid to me, I never liked the music they made. On top of liking rock, I like music whatever the genre, and Axl’s proposal with Chinese Democracy I liked a lot more. Also, CD at the end of the day ended up being an album of modern hard rock and Queen / Elton John ballads, so that was natural seeing Axl’s ambitions from the UYI recordings.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Neider said:

My post made reference to Slither sounding similar to Chinese Democracy (song), both being that modern hard rock from the 2000s, not to VR in general compared to CD (album).

Although VR seems totally valid to me, I never liked the music they made. On top of liking rock, I like music whatever the genre, and Axl’s proposal with Chinese Democracy I liked a lot more. Also, CD at the end of the day ended up being an album of modern hard rock and Queen / Elton John ballads, so that was natural seeing Axl’s ambitions from the UYI recordings.

Yeah i like VR but was just that . Straight hard Rock and nothing more. I like Chinese but it lacks straight rockers and the few ones like IRS with all the production and shit doesn't sound very powerful. Chinese tittle song and Better's Breakdown are great though

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like both VR albums, but the only song I can think of sounds like GNR is Sucker Train Blues. When I heard that for the first time i thought most of the album was going to sound like a GNR album (minus Set me free and Slither). It didn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 10:50 PM, SOH said:

The Brian May version of Catcher did, until they totally ruined it replacing him with Bumblefoot on it.

Bumble butchered nearly everything he touched IMO.

Although to be fair with the May Catcher solo we heard, that was apparently all chopped up and edited, he didn't play it that way in the studio. That just goes to show something either sounds good or it doesn't, no matter how it comes to together. That's why I'm not so concerned with Slash and Duff added their stems to old Axl songs. If it sounds good, I'm all for it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, drlaban said:

I like both VR albums, but the only song I can think of sounds like GNR is Sucker Train Blues. When I heard that for the first time i thought most of the album was going to sound like a GNR album (minus Set me free and Slither). It didn't.

I always thought Dirty Little Thing had a Gn'R vibe... Would love to see them attempt it.. But also afraid of Mickey during the chorus..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 1:23 PM, Tom-Ass said:

CD was Axl's vision but not the bands.. That is all good for people that are solely Axl fans but Guns n' Roses were huge and many were fans of the band not just Axl.. I don't understand people that would be happy with Axl releasing a new album with a new lineup every 15 years...  Axl isn't evolving.  He isn't releasing anything. 

It isn't like they have been releasing Appetite For Destruction sounding albums every two years for the last three decades and everyone is burnt out on it..  Would it really be that bad for them to release another kick ass heavy rock album 30 years later? They don't have to carbon copy the old music to do that.  Guns N' Roses weren't a progressive band.. They were a bad ass rock band.  They were the best at what they did.. They are 60 years old, have been back together 6 years and haven't put out an album..  Chances are if  they do, it will be the last one..  I would rather see the majority of people like and respect the album.. All those fans that came back out for these tours.. This isn't the time to try and reinvent the wheel.. 

Guns were both a bad ass rock band AND a progressive band.

Progressive doesn't necessarily mean Rush/Dream Theatre but you Estranged, November Rain, the Garden, breakdown, Locomotive are all big progressions away from the AFD sound and in some instances are quite progressive 'Estranged' in particular.

From day 1 Axl always spoke of evolving the gnr sound. Slash and Izzy wanted to remain a bad ass rock band and the rest of the band just went along with the best idea or strongest personality.

For me Hardskool would have been a good edition to Chinese. But it wouldn't be in my top five from the album. Fun in parts but just not fully realised! Couldn't care less how it was written and recorded. If it was a great song the topic of it being 20+ yrs old would be irrelevant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Bumble butchered nearly everything he touched IMO.

Although to be fair with the May Catcher solo we heard, that was apparently all chopped up and edited, he didn't play it that way in the studio. That just goes to show something either sounds good or it doesn't, no matter how it comes to together. That's why I'm not so concerned with Slash and Duff added their stems to old Axl songs. If it sounds good, I'm all for it.

Yea and sometimes you can’t polish a turd. As with Hard Skool

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, Rhino said:

Id like to hear Axl sing Fall to Pieces live.

 

That could be awesome if he just used his deep voice for the whole song.. That would sound great though, so he most likely wouldn't. Chances are he would Mickey up the chorus.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...