Is Hard Skool the first GNR song that sounds like GNR in 30 years?

On 10/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, scottish nutter said:

I think hs is shit, to me it doesnt sound like a gnr song, absurd or aturd is even worse

I hope this isnt the best they have to offer

Not a big fan of it either, it's fine. However "doesn't sound like a GNR song" doesn't really hold up. If in 1987 you heard Estranged you'd have said "That doesn't sound like a GNR song", bands sounds change and develop. Also, it's a standard rock song that has a direct line to songs like It's so easy or any simple Izzy song. It's not as good as a lot of other GNR songs, but it 100% does sound like GNR. 

• Like 1

What does GnR sound like?  Appetite sounded different than Lies which sounded different than the Illusions which sounfed different than CD.  

One of the reasons I personally enjoy GnR so much is because of their varied sound and all the different influences the differ and members bring to the table.  It makes them interesting. 

But yeah Hard Skool sounds closer to the Illusions than most songs off CD.  Street of Dreams is the next closest IMO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

This isn’t guns n roses.  Axl spent the early 90s trying to be Freddy, he failed… he had a chance to make his band a legacy but he failed. Now they aren’t up there with the stones. Not anymore.

It is sad how it was all pissed away.. The reunion was at least 10 years too late.. Even so, they should have capitalized in 2016 when Axl could have still layed down some amazing vocals in the studio. Then again, I don't think Slash and Duff would have been confident/comfortable enough in Franks playing to do that then.. 

But I do wish the band had stayed together and stuck to their roots for a couple more albums to elevate their legacy with the all time greats..

• GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

This isn’t guns n roses.  Axl spent the early 90s trying to be Freddy, he failed… he had a chance to make his band a legacy but he failed. Now they aren’t up there with the stones. Not anymore.

I think he was trying to be a hybrid of Freddy, Elton John and Billy Joel.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, agustingloger said:

And then they ruined it with the overproduction 

The version on Chinese Democracy is virtually unlistenable compared to the leak. I remember hellishly disappointed when I heard the final version. Everything about it boiled my piss. Specifically the sound of the drums. 

• Haha 1

Not a fan of the song but Hard Skool sounds like 1987 Guns with some updated production values. I would like something more like the Illusions or Chinese Democracy, i.e. an evolution of their sound, but if I was a betting man, I would wager they're going to go back in time and mine the nostalgia with any future release. The pressure to do music that sounds like Appetite must be deafening. The only problem is, 1987 was over 30 years ago.

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Not a fan of the song but Hard Skool sounds like 1987 Guns with some updated production values. I would like something more like the Illusions or Chinese Democracy, i.e. an evolution of their sound, but if I was a betting man, I would wager they're going to go back in time and mine the nostalgia with any future release. The pressure to do music that sounds like Appetite must be deafening. The only problem is, 1987 was over 30 years ago.

Welcome back @RONIN!

• Thanks 1