Slash's Most Underrated Riff?

On 10/27/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mendez said:

Most underrated to me is Speed Parade by Snakepit main riff, or the riff at 1:00 of The Truth by Snakepit.

Freaking phenomenal songs. So is Landslide.

More good songs than on the 1st album. There's only 2-3 tunes I'm not especially fond of.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Yeah, it's too bad SLASH didn't take a bit more time to find a better vocalist than Eric Dover. That album could have been phenomenal IMO. I still liked it regardless.

I'd have loved to hear someone else sing Beggars & Hangers-On and also on Back and Forth Again. Always loved the solo in Back and Forth.

I thought Rod Jackson was much better vocalist and his bluesy style fit in really well with the ALG album, which was also very good.

Though I really like Erics vocals, the best vocalist for that record refused to use this material.

• GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone has a different preference on Snakepit singers.. I personally don't think either were great but prefer Eric Dover and the first album. I always thought Jackson came of kind of cheesy.. That said there are still some really good songs on ALG and I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit when it came out. I feel like Slash is kind of like Joe Perry in the way that he can never find the right singer for his solo stuff... 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 7:44 PM, Bitchisback said:

Slash has killer riffs all over the snakepit and conspirators albums but don't damn me will always be his most underrated. That is a classic riff and we don't talk about it enough 

100% agree with you on Don't Damn Me!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nintari said:

I don't know about riff, but my vote for most underrated solo is definitely the one from Back and Forth Again. As a matter of fact, it just might be his best after SCOM.

I don't know if it's his best solo after Sweet Child, hell I even don't think Sweet Child is his best, but it's a freaking awesome solo and probably the best on I5OCS. Maybe on par with the one of Soma City Ward.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:44 AM, Bitchisback said:

Slash has killer riffs all over the snakepit and conspirators albums but don't damn me will always be his most underrated. That is a classic riff and we don't talk about it enough 

Don't Damn Me in general is one of the most underrated songs in the GNR catalogue

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know if it's his best solo after Sweet Child, hell I even don't think Sweet Child is his best, but it's a freaking awesome solo and probably the best on I5OCS. Maybe on par with the one of Soma City Ward.

SCOM isn't my personal favorite. But as simple as it is, it's probably the best, structurally speaking. Every single note is in the perfect spot. It climbs and falls right when it should. There is literally nothing about it that seems off in any way, and that's why I put it at the top.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:53 AM, Nintari said:

SCOM isn't my personal favorite. But as simple as it is, it's probably the best, structurally speaking. Every single note is in the perfect spot. It climbs and falls right when it should. There is literally nothing about it that seems off in any way, and that's why I put it at the top.

It's so good. But the main reason is not the note choice itself or the playing - it's whats going on in the background. The chord changes, the arrangement is so good, thats where the drama and the epicness come from mainly. Whoever created that is the real genius, imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I don't understand how DDM isn't considered a favorite among most GnR fans. Its just so good all around.  

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It's so good. But the main reason is not the note choice itself or the playing - it's whats going on in the background. The chord changes, the arrangement is so good, thats where the drama and the epicness come from mainly. Whoever created that is the real genius, imo.

I agree with you both 100%. It encompassed what GNR were completely at that point with everyone on absolute top form. 

This is the riff that any guitarist would like to write at some point of his career, it has everything. But I think the most underrated Slash's riff is 'Always On The Run', most of casual music fans don't have a clue it's been written by Slash and Lenny takes the credit. Most of Slash's riffs are well known, we could rather point more songs and solos that are lacking any recognition (I Hold On, Nothing To Say & Mother Maria - those solos!, Crucify The Dead, Unholy, Beneath The Savage Sun, Battleground and The One You Loved Is Gone - why the heck they didnt release it as a single?). Considering collaborations this is barely known and Slash never looked so badass like in this vid:

• Like 4

I've always thought that the Main riff to "just like anything" is an absolute banger. Classic Slash single string-riff. It comes in after the pretty boring (and too long) intro. I also love his long riffs (covering several bars before repeating) like the ones mentioned in this thread; serial killer and DDM. Honorary mention to the main riff in ain't life grand.

• Like 1