Slash's Most Underrated Riff?

What's a banger but pretty much unknown to the public is the riff of Anastasia.

It's one of those riffs that could go on forever in a live setting. Like Double Talkin Jive or Motorhead's Ace Of Spades.

It's not an underrated riff among Guns- and Slash fans but it's underrated among the casuals because it's not well known compared to the big Guns hits.

11 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

What's a banger but pretty much unknown to the public is the riff of Anastasia.

It's one of those riffs that could go on forever in a live setting. Like Double Talkin Jive or Motorhead's Ace Of Spades.

It's not an underrated riff among Guns- and Slash fans but it's underrated among the casuals because it's not well known compared to the big Guns hits.

Anastasia is SMKC's biggest song, in fact it's the only one I can recall hearing on the radio multiple times - I still hear it played every once in a while. Definitely wouldn't say it's underrated.

With GNR, his most underrated is probably Bad Apples or Don't Damn Me. Outside GNR, I agree with those saying Soma City Ward. Always thought What Do You Wanna Be was underrated too, that riff kicks ass coming out of the chorus. Agree with Vengeance Is Mine, too - I played the hell outta that song when it came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anastasia is SMKC's biggest song, in fact it's the only one I can recall hearing on the radio multiple times - I still hear it played every once in a while. Definitely wouldn't say it's underrated.

With GNR, his most underrated is probably Bad Apples or Don't Damn Me. Outside GNR, I agree with those saying Soma City Ward. Always thought What Do You Wanna Be was underrated too, that riff kicks ass coming out of the chorus. Agree with Vengeance Is Mine, too - I played the hell outta that song when it came out.

Really? Never heard it on radio. But I don't listen to radio that much tbh. I heard WOF once, not long time ago though. 

I agree as well, great guitar work on Vengeance Is Mine.

Another underrated one is Halo in my opinion. Awesome riff and awesome solo.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Really? Never heard it on radio. But I don't listen to radio that much tbh. I heard WOF once, not long time ago though. 

I agree as well, great guitar work on Vengeance Is Mine.

Another underrated one is Halo in my opinion. Awesome riff and awesome solo.

I don't listen to radio that much either, mostly at work (and it's only sometimes on a rock station). I heard WOF maybe a couple times when it was released, but not since then. KISW in Seattle plays lots of GNR stuff, they even play Loaded occasionally, and I've heard them play Anastasia a bunch of times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't listen to radio that much either, mostly at work (and it's only sometimes on a rock station). I heard WOF maybe a couple times when it was released, but not since then. KISW in Seattle plays lots of GNR stuff, they even play Loaded occasionally, and I've heard them play Anastasia a bunch of times.

I used to hear "Standing in the Sun" on the radio quite a bit.. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I used to hear "Standing in the Sun" on the radio quite a bit.. 

The only other one I've heard as much as Anastasia is Back From Cali, if that counts. Mostly around the time it came out but I still hear it every now and then (sometimes on a Seattle station, sometimes on a Vancouver station...)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The only other one I've heard as much as Anastasia is Back From Cali, if that counts. Mostly around the time it came out but I still hear it every now and then (sometimes on a Seattle station, sometimes on a Vancouver station...)

They seem to have a good taste where you coming from 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anastasia is underrated IMO and definitely wasn’t their biggest radio song. That would be You’re A Lie which was a #1 rock radio song in the US and Canada. 

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

An underrated solo is the outro of Far and Away IMO 

Even the main riff and solo for that song is so good. Apocalyptic Love is probably the only SMKC record I'd play on my drive, follow up records have been pretty generic IMO.

Edited by GoForJMark

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

An underrated solo is the outro of Far and Away IMO 

While I really like the Apocalyptic album on the whole, Far & Away is one of my favorites. As you said, the outro is very good.

Have you heard the live acoustic version they did? I very much like it too.

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

While I really like the Apocalyptic album on the whole, Far & Away is one of my favorites. As you said, the outro is very good.

I think you mean the Guitar Center Sessions where they also did Beggars and Hangers On and Not For Me among others. A very good gig overall!

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

I can't imagine why. Good song.

An underrated tune I really like is "Too Far Gone". I also dig "Bent To Fly" and "Beneath the Savage Sun", all from the same album of course.

All three are good songs but TFG has an amazing solo.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thunderram said:

That performance at guitar center was an awesome and short set. The Far and Away performance there made me pick up a guitar again after a few years away from it. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, GoForJMark said:

That performance at guitar center was an awesome and short set. The Far and Away performance there made me pick up a guitar again after a few years away from it. 

That is a good one. Speaking of that, which performance of this song do you prefer: