Could Axl pull of a screamer like Perfect Crime or Right Next Door To Hell

And so I was listening to these two screamers off the side of the highway, my MP3 Player turned up loud, screaming my guts out and asked myself "Could Axl still handle a song like this?". He doesn't have to shred his vocals; surprisingly even a high but powerful Mickey voice with a little rasp inserted would give an impressive performance. Believe it or not, it is very easy to sing this way and doesn't even put much stress on your voice, from my experience.

• Like 1

Perfect Crime is way to up tempo for him to sing I think. Even if he could get the rasp I think he’d be huffing for air after the first verse similar to the last part of Coma where he struggles cause theirs no place to take a breath

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No. He might be able to scream his way through the choruses but the rest would be awful. If they're gonna add deep cuts to the set, they should be songs that are closer to his natural/clean voice like Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied Up.

I completely agree. 

• Like 3

Are we talking about in a studio or live?

I think he could still pull it off if it's only for one take.  I'm still of the opinion that Axl's greatest consideration when singing live is to manage his voice so as to allow him to sing for 2+ hours.

A studio setting, where Axl could burst out insane vocal lines and then rest, is a different matter.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, downzy said:

Are we talking about in a studio or live?

I think he could still pull it off if it's only for one take.  I'm still of the opinion that Axl's greatest consideration when singing live is to manage his voice so as to allow him to sing for 2+ hours.

A studio setting, where Axl could burst out insane vocal lines and then rest, is a different matter.  

Not just for 2-3hrs. He has to do it for an entire tour that plays multiple days per week. 

You can hear it live when he goes there from time to time. He can absolutely be himself in a studio environment 

37 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Not just for 2-3hrs. He has to do it for an entire tour that plays multiple days per week. 

You can hear it live when he goes there from time to time. He can absolutely be himself in a studio environment 

Absolutely.  There are usually a couple of points in each show that he sounds like the old Axl for a line or two.  Some shows (like the last one at Hard Rock Live) there are more of those moments.

Many clips I've listened to of Civil War, when he sings "when everybody's fightin' for their promised land" there's very little difference to the way it sounded in the Illusion tour.

I'm sure there are certain notes he can no longer hit in a studio and others that he can't do with rasp but, in a studio when he can sing a song line by line and then take frequent breaks, I have no doubt he can sound "like Axl" on some killer tracks.

Whether he will actually go into a studio and record them, that I can't answer or attempt to predict.

6 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

If he actually put in the effort to take care of his voice and stay in shape I think he could. But as we all know, that is a very tall order for Axl these days. 

Out of curiosity where has it been stated definitively that he doesn't look after his voice in the run up to or during a tour?

All the direct sources (i.e. Duff, members of the touring entourage) have stated that he puts huge effort into this. 

Seems to me like the lack of effort or care is a bit of a myth.

• Like 1

don t know axl can handle the fast part of coma better than back then in 92, he had more control know, but he burn his voice and need a real training to get in shape with his voice like the 2016, a rest and then training and training and training but i really belive in axl he could do a really good perfect crime o rndth if he do that

11 minutes ago, blackrose87 said:

Out of curiosity where has it been stated definitively that he doesn't look after his voice in the run up to or during a tour?

All the direct sources (i.e. Duff, members of the touring entourage) have stated that he puts huge effort into this. 

Seems to me like the lack of effort or care is a bit of a myth.

He doesn't take part in any of the rehearsals. To me that shows a huge lack of effort and it's evident in his recent performances. 

• Like 1