Could Axl pull of a screamer like Perfect Crime or Right Next Door To Hell

24 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

He doesn't take part in any of the rehearsals. To me that shows a huge lack of effort and it's evident in his recent performances. 

Doesn't mean he doesn't prepare his voice adequately (warm up/cool down). With how he sings it's probably wise he doesn't rehearse/soundcheck with the band all the time anyway, else risk blowing his voice out.

And from video footage we do see that he soundchecks/rehearses with them at least on some occasions.

People just need to realize he's older and there with that the performances are going to blow hot and cold, plus he's always had a voice that took a period of time get better during the course of touring.

From actual first hand accounts I think in recent years he does the best he can in managing it for the most part.

• ABSUЯD 1

16 minutes ago, blackrose87 said:

Doesn't mean he doesn't prepare his voice adequately (warm up/cool down). With how he sings it's probably wise he doesn't rehearse/soundcheck with the band all the time anyway, else risk blowing his voice out.

And from video footage we do see that he soundchecks/rehearses with them at least on some occasions.

People just need to realize he's older and there with that the performances are going to blow hot and cold, plus he's always had a voice that took a period of time get better during the course of touring.

From actual first hand accounts I think in recent years he does the best he can in managing it for the most part.

Taking part in rehearsals actually keeps your voice warm and in shape. Not singing for extended periods of time results in what we’ve seen from Axl in recent memory. Musicians have to practice to stay up to par. There’s absolutely no reason why he can’t perform like he did in 2016. It’s all a matter of effort. 

Edited by LikeADog93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LikeADog93 said:

He doesn't take part in any of the rehearsals. To me that shows a huge lack of effort and it's evident in his recent performances. 

The lack of appearing at rehearsals doesn’t mean he isn’t taking care of his voice. It just means he hasn’t prepared with the band. If you want to equate any issues early in a tour with his timing, hesitancy etc towards that, that’s absolutely fair

However, they would have to cancel every tour after the first week if he wasn’t prepared to sing for 2-3 hrs multiple times per week. He can’t just show up to the tour after a long time off. He’s doing that work on his own 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The lack of appearing at rehearsals doesn’t mean he isn’t taking care of his voice. It just means he hasn’t prepared with the band. If you want to equate any issues early in a tour with his timing, hesitancy etc towards that, that’s absolutely fair

However, they would have to cancel every tour after the first week if he wasn’t prepared to sing for 2-3 hrs multiple times per week. He can’t just show up to the tour after a long time off. He’s doing that work on his own 

Based off how he sounded on the most recent tour I doubt he’s doing much practice on his own. People can blame it on his age all they want but we saw in 2016 what he’s capable of when he really puts his foot forward. No reason why he can’t do that again. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

Based off how he sounded on the most recent tour I doubt he’s doing much practice on his own. People can blame it on his age all they want but we saw in 2016 what he’s capable of when he really puts his foot forward. No reason why he can’t do that again. 

Has nothing to do with how he sounds. He would be sidelined and the shows canceled if he weren’t building up his voice for a tour. It would last a week if he weren’t prepared. He’s simply not just coming off the couch 

Rehearsing and how the performance/phrasing is with the band is a completely different issue 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

Just now, guitarpatch said:

Has nothing to do with how he sounds. He would be sidelined and the shows canceled if he weren’t building up his voice for a tour. It would last a week if he weren’t prepared. He’s simply not just coming off the couch 

Rehearsing and how the performance/phrasing with the band is a completely different issue 

I don’t buy that. They’ve done tons of shows where his voice was totally shot. Rock in Rio 2017 probably being the most prime example. 

3 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

I don’t buy that. They’ve done tons of shows where his voice was totally shot. Rock in Rio 2017 probably being the most prime example. 

They’d have to cancel the tour if his voice weren’t prepared. That’s just the state of his voice in 2017 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Can`t understand people here praising his 2016 GN`R vocals as something like out of this word.

2016 vocals were passable, but far away from his 2006-2010 level singing for Guns N` Roses.

Houston 2016 was the best he's sounded since the early 90's in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

2016 was half a decade ago.  He is at the point where age is really starting to take it s toll.  That said it is obvious he doesn't practice or prepare enough on his own.. I can't see him ever being as good as he was in 2016 again but with more effort I am sure he could be better than he has been.  I think he could really benefit from actually rehearsing with the band for a couple of weeks prior to tours.. Trying different deliveries and approaches instead of using the first few shows as his rehearsals.. I was unfortunate to enough to have been at the second show of this past tour and he wasn't in very good form.. 

5 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Can`t understand people here praising his 2016 GN`R vocals as something like out of this word.

I get what you are saying but there were still moments in those shows during certain songs where he could still make you say "Holt Shit"!!!!  Even on a song as tired as Live and Let Die.. Those screams in 2016 brought that song to a different level.. That is gone now.. Just one example..

7 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I think his stint in AC/DC proves that he can sing anything he wants to. But would he have the breath to sing something like Perfect Crime? I don't know. But it sure would be interesting to watch him try.

I think it all depends on the range of the song.. He was out of this world amazing on the Brian Johnson songs but Mickey would still rear his head during some of the Bon Scott stuff.. 

• Like 1

I don't know why people mention AC/DC as proof that Axl can pull off 'classic' vocals... AC/DC is the reason he can't pull that off anymore. The voice cracks really started during the NA leg and his voice has been deteriorating ever since, and like tom-ass said, age is taking its toll. Singing Hell's Bells, Back In Black, etc. plus the extensive NITL touring fucked up his voice, and he sounded decent towards the end of the 2021 shows but nowhere near 2016 level.

He still sounds good on stuff like It's So Easy and You're Crazy, where he sings most of the song in a more natural voice and screams some parts in the 2nd half, but faster-paced screamers like RNDTH would be rough. Even SOYL is hit or miss.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

2016 vocals were passable, but far away from his 2006-2010 level singing for Guns N` Roses.

2016 was fantastic overall, and compared to everything 5 years before it and now 5 years after it, should be praised as a great year for Axl and one of the shining years of GNR - with the reunion being new and Axl sounding fantastic

• Like 4

He could do Perfect Crime. He still seems to have his upper range and can even access “rasp” on the higher notes.

It’s the middle range where he struggles, and that would mean that the verses of Right Next Door to Hell would never work.

he also seems to struggle moving between the middle and upper registers. Perfect Crime is almost exclusively oh his upper register and so I think he’s pull it off relatively well.