GNR wanted to cover Motley Crues "Stick To Your Guns"

• StrangerInThisTown changed the title to GNR wanted to cover Motley Crues "Stick To Your Guns"

I read somewhere that the riff of Dr. Feelgood was kind of stolen from GNR.

I need to find that article again, but some "insider" or maybe a member of the band/doug goldstein said that Nikki was around during that period when they were reharsing and creating UYI in 1989, and suddenly MC the released DF.

*UPDATED*

Got it: https://gnrcentral.com/2018/05/15/steven-adler-responds-to-claims-that-motley-crue-ripped-off-dr-feelgood-from-guns-n-roses/

No way! Stick to your guns is one of my favorite Crue Songs! Unless Nikki is deflecting here. Deflecting attention away from the fact he stole slash and duff’s riff that became the song Dr. Feelgood as per Doug Goldstein.

Edit: Steven Adler disagrees with Doug so who knows

Edited by Top-Hatted One

I love MC but I've always thought there was something different about that song in terms of how the riff went and the production. To me it sounds a lot like Rocket Queen in the heaviness and melodic similarity, or at least something that might inspire you meodically. Most of their other songs have that kind of squealing WildSide sound, whereas DrFeelgood has the RQ rhythm and swing.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:40 PM, Legendador said:

I read somewhere that the riff of Dr. Feelgood was kind of stolen from GNR.

I need to find that article again, but some "insider" or maybe a member of the band/doug goldstein said that Nikki was around during that period when they were reharsing and creating UYI in 1989, and suddenly MC the released DF.

*UPDATED*

Got it: https://gnrcentral.com/2018/05/15/steven-adler-responds-to-claims-that-motley-crue-ripped-off-dr-feelgood-from-guns-n-roses/

If that riff was stolen, I would rather say it was from these guys https://youtu.be/sbJAaU2tB4U

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

Haha...Sweet Child was played because they did a tour with Motley for a month? Sweet Child was released 7 months after that tour, and the band was already on the brink of completely blowing up. Jungle was played every hour on MTV at that point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoBucky said:

Haha...Sweet Child was played because they did a tour with Motley for a month? Sweet Child was released 7 months after that tour, and the band was already on the brink of completely blowing up. Jungle was played every hour on MTV at that point. 

I’m pretty sure Axl was thanking Niki for giving the band exposure at a time when Motley Crue was huge. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mystery said:

I think the main reason for this is when the Appetite era kicked into motion bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Bon Jovi and others started to feel uncool compared to Guns.

On the surface Guns would seem like they'd fit with them but they had a harder edge to their image and music and seemed to quickly dethrone those bands on the hierarchy.

I don't think the members of Motley Crue have gotten over that entirely and seem to think of Guns n Roses as little brothers. Bon Jovi also openly wondered why Axl still got so much attention in 2006 when he hadn't released Chinese Democracy.

I always thought it was because Axl was never chasing fame like Bon Jovi or trying to pander to Top 40 radio. Also because Axl has and always will be cooler than Jon Bon Jovi.

It's simply because they have a relation to Guns and Guns still have a name. They want as much attention as possible to promote what they want to promote and Guns is simply the bigger draw, so they use the opportunity.

It's click bait.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 12:46 PM, Free Bird said:

It's simply because they have a relation to Guns and Guns still have a name. They want as much attention as possible to promote what they want to promote and Guns is simply the bigger draw, so they use the opportunity.

It's click bait.

I feel like the reason for this is while Motley Crue has made some good music in their career, most of it sounds of it's time as 80's hair metal. Guns n Roses made songs that are all-time classics that still sound somewhat fresh today, especially Appetite.

I know they came up at the height of it but Guns n Roses managed to avoid the over the top cheesiness associated with that mainstream 80s rock.

I think it also helps that Guns came out with the two Illusions albums in the 90s that showed they weren't just an 80s band. They scored some massive hits with them that defined their legacy and were broader musically.

Motley Crue were pretty much done with their releith Dr. Feelgood which came out in 1989. Nothing they've released since has really gained much interest so they've become a caricature of that 80s Sunset Strip scene that they've never fully moved on from.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 3

On 11/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, mystery said:

I think the main reason for this is when the Appetite era kicked into motion bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Bon Jovi and others started to feel uncool compared to Guns.

On the surface Guns would seem like they'd fit with them but they had a harder edge to their image and music and seemed to quickly dethrone those bands on the hierarchy.

I don't think the members of Motley Crue have gotten over that entirely and seem to think of Guns n Roses as little brothers. Bon Jovi also openly wondered why Axl still got so much attention in 2006 when he hadn't released Chinese Democracy.

I always thought it was because Axl was never chasing fame like Bon Jovi or trying to pander to Top 40 radio. Also because Axl has and always will be cooler than Jon Bon Jovi.

The reason GNR (imo) dwarfed a lot of the bands is because unlike most, they were 100% about the music and genuine. Yes, they liked woman and money, but their music was sacred and came first. Compare that to Bon Jovi who literally hired a professional song writer to help them write a bunch of watered-down, dated, candy-ass, bubblegum rock songs in order to stay in the charts. That's the real reason people pay attention to Axl more than him. Because Axl was a real artist, doing it the right way and people can respect that. Nobody can respect what Bon Jovi did. Not in the rock world anyway. In the rock world, that sort of thing is straight clown show.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1