13 years since CD came out

I remember buzzing to Best Buy right away and playing the shit out of it.  I was so pumped for new "Guns n Roses" even though it was in all reality an Axl solo album.  Still can't believe only1 album since the UYI's outta Axl.  Crazy....but they still kick ass live!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dean said:

The release dates were fucked in the UK. The first copy arrived on the 18th of November for me, then there were a few others that I'd pre-ordered over the years and forgot to cancel that arrived over the coming days. Glad I had it ordered from HMV as it came with the Chinese promo single on vinyl, which seems to be a bit of a rarity these days.

What an album and I've always been of the belief that it features Axl at the top of his game. I just wish we got more of those sessions officially released not too long after the first album dropped.

Mike arrived early too. I pre-ordered the CD and vinyl from Best Buy. I was planning on going to the store on Sunday morning (11/23/2008) anyway but then my CD and vinyl both showed up the Thursday before. I think a ton of people got their Best Buy pre-orders early too. 

• Like 2

Bought this in February 2009 as a fan of rock in general and someone who had a surface level knowledge of Guns at the time. I think I may have already heard Shackler's Revenge from Guitar Hero and thought it was a good song. The more straightforward rock songs took my interest at first, couldn't get into songs like Prostitute, Madagascar, and This I Love. Listen to the songs I liked, kind of glossed over some of the other songs, and really didn't listen to it much for a few years after.

Like some of the UYI songs (Estranged, Breakdown, Coma, Locomotive) the less straightforward songs clicked with me after really listening and digging what the band was going for. They were definitely growers and I grew to appreciate Chinese Democracy as a solid though not revolutionary album.

It's an album that really should have come out between 1999-2002. It would've done fairly well in the early 2000s when mainstream rock was pretty weak. As it stands it felt kind of tossed off towards the end of 2008 right when a recession was hitting and when mainstream rock was slowly fading. Felt also like Axl kind of buried it by doing almost no promotion although I now understand some of the reasons why. 

• Like 2

Remember hopping over to Best Buy in Canada. It wasn't exclusively sold there in Canada but I wanted that experience. I had only been a diehard fan for 2 and a half years at that point and I still couldn't process that I was actually holding the damn thing. 

I still argue its definitely a great album. I do gravitate to the demos over what we got. I personally don't care for much of anything that Bumblefoot contributed to it. It just got too messy for my liking. 

Either way, friends and family definitely got sick of listening to it whenever I was around for the next handful of months. It was the only CD in my cars stereo haha. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

The span of time between CD release and today is more or less the same span of time between Slash's Snakepit 1st album and CD release. Let that sink in 🙄

In a couple of years, the time passed since CD's release will be the same as the gap between the release of CD and The Spaghetti Incident.

What do you mean 'don't worry, surely another new Guns album will have been released by then'?! 

Bought it on November 23rd or 24th, can't remember. They were playing the record as I walked into the store. It's hard to believe it's been that long. I got into Guns N' Roses around 1998/1999 and I remember when the Kurt Loder interview came out or when they played Vegas and Rio in early 2001 it felt like the old Guns and UYI Tour was ages ago. And now it's been 13 years since Chinese. Crazy.

Perception of time changes so much as you get older.

Edited by Sisyphus

12 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I say it every year, I wish I liked CD. Every year or so i give it another listen to try and get into it. I tried again a few months ago and it's still a no from me. I loved The Blues so maybe next year it'll happen

Interesting. I'm the opposite. I like CD, and had it from the get go on vinyl - even purchased a whole new system to listen to it through. 

However, I'm the opposite in that I'll not listen to it for ages, but every year I'll at least spin it once or twice & remember why I dig it and what I don't like about it (in a good way) and then it doesn't get played for a year or so.