Fortus interview

On 12/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, Coma16 said:

BBF was always the most fan-friendly member of the band during his tenure.

I remember those live streams where he would randomly do riffs from songs like Estranged, before it was added to the setlist.  I remember really digging Ron personally at the time, he seemed like the most down to earth member of the nuGNR era

Bumblefoot is a great human being. Just a great human being. If Axl had listened more to his ideas and suggestions, this band would have been very different. He didn't at all deserve all the criticism he got from parts of the fanbase. He always went beyond for us. 

But there does seem to have been some issues with him and the rest of the band. I am not entirely sure what it was, but I have a suspicion his health "drama" and emotional instability annoyed some of his bandmates. He talked about struggling at times, neck injuries etc, and having a hard time touring, and how hard he could be to be with, in tweets and interviews at the time. But this is purely speculation from my side and doesn't at all take away from how great he is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Bumblefoot is a great human being. Just a great human being. If Axl had listened more to his ideas and suggestions, this band would have been very different. He didn't at all deserve all the criticism he got from parts of the fanbase. He always went beyond for us. 

But there does seem to have been some issues with him and the rest of the band. I am not entirely sure what it was, but I have a suspicion his health "drama" and emotional instability annoyed some of his bandmates. He talked about struggling at times, neck injuries etc, and having a hard time touring, and how hard he could be to be with, in tweets and interviews at the time. But this is purely speculation from my side and doesn't at all take away from how great he is. 

I agree. My speculation would be that maybe, maybe he had a more proactive approach and wanted to see some results (perhaps sort of like Buckethead), while the others had been used to the good ole routine at that point and didn't want to stir up the waters, which is where some discrepancies may have come from. After all, he did say something to that effect repeatedly in some later interviews. Again, just my speculation. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

I think one main problem is with human. psychology. 

Bumblefoot is a geek. He isn’t cool. He’s too nice. He had no fashion sense (the eye makeup, the foot guitar, the braided beards) it was really lame. Embarrassing really.  Therefore he probably got picked on and couldn’t defend himself. He was too prog rock and lacked sex appeal.

Robin was in NIN-that’s a cool band. There’s an edge and a mystique. 

Tommy was in the Mats-maybe the coolest college rock band of all time.

Bumblefoot is a corny name and he’s a a corny guy. Not made for GNR. Definitely a kind man though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ifon Harries said:

Bumblefoot is a geek. He isn’t cool. He’s too nice. He had no fashion sense (the eye makeup, the foot guitar, the braided beards) it was really lame. Embarrassing really.  Therefore he probably got picked on and couldn’t defend himself. He was too prog rock and lacked sex appeal.

Bumblefoot is a corny name and he’s a a corny guy. Not made for GNR. Definitely a kind man though. 

Bumblefoot himself was unsure if he fit in the band: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5631p30-25-august-2004-may-2006-finalizing-chinese-democracy-lawsuits-return-to-nyc#24649

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I guess Axl needed Bumble mainly for touring and didn't really consider him a songwriting force for Gn'R and Bumble was interested in moving forward creatively with Gn'R, something that didn't really happen.

it's funny, cause I think Bumble had the most chemistry with Bucket. Shackler's being the highlight of what he contributed imo.

9 hours ago, Ifon Harries said:

I get what you’re saying but wasn’t Fortus a touring member of Nsync or Backstreet Boys or some shit before he joined GnR? I know he was with Enrique Iglesias right beforehand too.

That said, he did tour with the Furs and was in Love Spit Love (with Frank), so I guess that gives him a bit of street cred, but only a bit really.

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I get what you’re saying but wasn’t Fortus a touring member of Nsync or Backstreet Boys or some shit before he joined GnR? I know he was with Enrique Iglesias right beforehand too.

That said, he did tour with the Furs and was in Love Spit Love (with Frank), so I guess that gives him a bit of street cred, but only a bit really.

I've always seen him as basically a talented session musician. Nothing wrong with that of course, but not really a 'band member'. 

Mind you, we could probably debate for days whether GNR qualifies as a 'band' these days or a 'touring stage show'. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ifon Harries said:

Look wise there's nothing more embarrassing than the 2001-2002 line up... And probably won't ever be something more embarrassing than Buckethead nunchaku solo.. Close to that, everything Bumblefoot did was an advance towards "coolness"

Edited by Beto 22
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yes, but Fortus looks the part, has cool looking guitars, etc.

Personally, I find him as uncool as Bumble, just for different reasons. :D

the worst: DJ Ashba.

• Like 1

The 2001-2002 lineup was by far my favorite from an ability standpoint. It's a damn shame this lineup didn't out an album or two out. At least we got some of it though on the 2008 album, and leaks, and perhaps more in the future (official or otherwise)

I didn't mind DJ. At the very least, he played the CD solos way better than Slash does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

The 2001-2002 lineup was by far my favorite from an ability standpoint. It's a damn shame this lineup didn't out an album or two out. At least we got some of it though on the 2008 album, and leaks, and perhaps more in the future (official or otherwise)

I didn't mind DJ. At the very least, he played the CD solos way better than Slash does.

For me the 2001-02 era could have been incredible but Axls voice was just so clean that I can't fully enjoy it. 2006-07 was just peak powers though, perfect balance of looseness, attitude and great performances all round. I never got to see GNR in the 80s/90s because I was but a child, but outside of the Appetite era shows the band didn't sound as fiery once Matt, Dizzy etc. were added. In 2006 that AFD attitude was back, at least in certain parts of the set.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, but Fortus looks the part, has cool looking guitars, etc.

Personally, I find him as uncool as Bumble, just for different reasons. :D

the worst: DJ Ashba.

I think the coolest guitars played on a GNR stage have been Bumblefoots Double neck or Richards Trussart single-cut. Can't forget the bad-ass bumblebee guitar! I know people thought it was goofy but it was also hilarious!😄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think the coolest guitars played on a GNR stage have been Bumblefoots Double neck or Richards Trussart single-cut. Can't forget the bad-ass bumblebee guitar! I know people thought it was goofy but it was also hilarious!😄

He also has that swiss cheese guitar. :D

In retrospect, the 2001/02 line up was pretty great, imo.

And to be honest, right now I would prefer a line up feat. Buckethead and Finck if that would bring out Axl's motivation and desire to create.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I personally would add that Dark red/burgundy LP with white binding that Finck used on Better in 06 as well

The Trussarts were fkin' great

For me the 2001-02 era could have been incredible but Axls voice was just so clean that I can't fully enjoy it. 2006-07 was just peak powers though, perfect balance of looseness, attitude and great performances all round. I never got to see GNR in the 80s/90s because I was but a child, but outside of the Appetite era shows the band didn't sound as fiery once Matt, Dizzy etc. were added. In 2006 that AFD attitude was back, at least in certain parts of the set.

I agree, the 2001-02 band with 2006 Axl would have been an absolute pleasure. Though in the studio, I'm confident 2001-02 Axl would be fine.

• Like 2