Absurd is a strangely structured song

I still like it, though I preferred the Silkworms version. The current version:

1. Has no melody.

2. Has one verse. Normally the lyrics should change from verse to verse.

3. Has no chorus as such.

4. Has no bridge. This is a bit debatable as the shimmery bit in the middle could be a bridge or a guitar solo.

5. Has probably the most basic riff out of any GNR song.

Saying all that, I do actually kind of like it. However when listening to it today, all of these things jumped out.

• ABSUЯD 1

It's very obviously cut and pasted together.

I think the song was always supposed to be a "sonic showcase" more than anything, so the shit lyrics and repetitive structure wouldn't be so bad if the song weren't mixed and edited so poorly. Just like Hardschool, the original demo is better, but unlike Hardschool, Absurd was unsalvageable. It was always a B-side at best.

• Like 1

the rhythm of the vocals almost sounds out of time with the music during the verses. I played it to two non GNR friends a few weeks ago and everybody caught the timing. Sound wise the closest we could get as similar was Killing Joke which would be weird enough for GNR but 2021 GNR moreso.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr-fukaji said:

the rhythm of the vocals almost sounds out of time with the music during the verses. I played it to two non GNR friends a few weeks ago and everybody caught the timing. Sound wise the closest we could get as similar was Killing Joke which would be weird enough for GNR but 2021 GNR moreso.

The original Silkworms had Prodigy vibes but Absurd sounds more like if Slash played with PiL.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:11 PM, mystery said:

I'm surprised that with all the songs they worked on from 1998-2000 Axl picked Silkworms to play in their first show back on 01/01/2001. Imagine if they went with Hard Skool instead? Also was it legit that they had Oklahoma on the setlist?

I remember that, for some reason, Oklahoma/Rhiad And The Bedouins got mixed up back then. I downloaded the first House Of Blues version as Oklahoma-Guns N Roses. So probably it was just Rhiad.

• Like 1

i think absurd would be a little bit better if they DIDNT offset the vocals on the 1st verse so it would actually be on beat.

That reverse guitar bridge (could also be a synth) counts as a bridge to me, but the progression of the synth underneath it is also off beat (as it was in the village leak)

On 12/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, axl666 said:

I still like it, though I preferred the Silkworms version. The current version:

1. Has no melody.

2. Has one verse. Normally the lyrics should change from verse to verse.

3. Has no chorus as such.

4. Has no bridge. This is a bit debatable as the shimmery bit in the middle could be a bridge or a guitar solo.

5. Has probably the most basic riff out of any GNR song.

Saying all that, I do actually kind of like it. However when listening to it today, all of these things jumped out.

GNR throughout the years has surprisingly varied song structures for a rock group.  Coma and Estranged come to mind and not just for mere song length

Now this song is nowhere near the artistic level of those lmao but it definitely does stray from the norm on the opposite direction - less sections than a "typical" rock song has