It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - New Season

downzy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 11:04 PM, downzy said:

Still haven’t had a chance to watch the latest season. They make it impossible to watch legally if you’re a chord cutter in Canada.  The first eight seasons are available to stream on Disney+, but not the last seven. 

This show always finds new ways for these bunch of dummies to still make you laugh! 

So glad they don't have to be political correct. lol

All I can say is "Ireland" will never be the same.

30 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

This show always finds new ways for these bunch of dummies to still make you laugh! 

So glad they don't have to be political correct. lol

All I can say is "Ireland" will never be the same.

I wouldn't say "political correctness" is a factor with this show. 

They're never really making fun of others, the target of their jokes is almost always the characters.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, downzy said:

I wouldn't say "political correctness" is a factor with this show. 

They're never really making fun of others, the target of their jokes is almost always the characters.  

Exactly right. 

Even the blackface episodes that are pulled these days applies to this. But I understand  why it's easier for companies backing the show to just remove it and carry on than leaving it as is and constantly having to address it as its a really easy target, so just remove it and move on. 

But there was clearly nothing in it apart from highlighting how messed up the core characters are which is the same in every episode lol, from the first one onwards. 

Wasn't one of the first episodes them going to abortion protests to pick up chicks, and jumping sides depending on their views of what their success rates would be or something? Those first handlefull of seasons were brilliant (still dig the show). 

2 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Exactly right. 

Even the blackface episodes that are pulled these days applies to this. But I understand  why it's easier for companies backing the show to just remove it and carry on than leaving it as is and constantly having to address it as its a really easy target, so just remove it and move on. 

But there was clearly nothing in it apart from highlighting how messed up the core characters are which is the same in every episode lol, from the first one onwards. 

Wasn't one of the first episodes them going to abortion protests to pick up chicks, and jumping sides depending on their views of what their success rates would be or something? Those first handlefull of seasons were brilliant (still dig the show). 

Yeah, the joke is always on them. Same with many of the characters is Arrested Development.  Being awful and having it reflect on them and not on the ethnic, gender, or racial person or group allows the joke to work in a non offensive way.

The Lethal Weapon - black face episode is a good example of this. The humour isn’t in the black face, but how dumb and out of touch the characters are that they, or one of them, thinks it’s okay. It’s making fun of the racists who try to claim they don’t see colour and hence anything they do that happens to be racially insensitive is really on the racial minority.  The target of the joke isn’t the black guy, it’s Mac who thinks wearing black face isn’t racist if he doesn’t mean for it to be racist, because he’s too dumb to know otherwise.

Probably my favourite episode is from a couple or seasons ago where the gang fights over a lottery scratcher.  At one point the character of Charlie says the n-word because he’s too dumb to know that he should never say it, even if it’s within the innocent confines of answering the question about what word not to say about black people. 

The abortion episode was great. In fact, I believe in the show’s podcast Rob reveals that it was the first episode that they got flack from FX; that the network wasn’t loving the idea of basing an entire episode around abortion. But it’s a great example how they spoof both sides of the issue, to the point where it’s not exactly clear what side the show takes because the audience knows the characters are too dumb and horrible to have a take worth taking seriously.

It’s a great show and it’s still going strong 15 seasons later. Hope they make it to at least 20.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 5:02 AM, downzy said:

Probably my favourite episode is from a couple or seasons ago where the gang fights over a lottery scratcher.  At one point the character of Charlie says the n-word because he’s too dumb to know that he should never say it, even if it’s within the innocent confines of answering the question about what word not to say about black people. 

I love this episode. the ending with mac's coming out is so greatly written and also moving. 

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1