the consistent setlist

If it because of the screen show, they could at the very least put effort in making alterations to it in between tours and legs - Rush wildly changed things up from tour to tour for example, but kept the order of the songs fairly static during the tours themselves because of the syncing to the visuals and for the elaborate changes in gear and sounds from song to song

If there is a will there is a way, and GNR for whatever reason don't feel like keeping the songs fresh by playing with the order or making any more crazy changes beyond occasionally adding one or two different tunes

Edited by WhazUp
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm in a minority here, but I really don't get the fuss about the setlist. Most big bands keep a consistent setlist for a tour, yet people act as if GN'R is the only band that's ever done that.

The shows are aimed at those at the venue at each individual show, where 99% of those in attendance weren't there the night before. It's only natural to see a band play largely the same setlist for a tour with minor alterations here and there.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

I know I'm in a minority here, but I really don't get the fuss about the setlist. Most big bands keep a consistent setlist for a tour, yet people act as if GN'R is the only band that's ever done that.

The shows are aimed at those at the venue at each individual show, where 99% of those in attendance weren't there the night before. It's only natural to see a band play largely the same setlist for a tour with minor alterations here and there.

For sure. And you can tell/assume these people don’t actually get out and go to shows or they would know this.

I hope they keep the same fucking set list forever 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Not for five years, man. All things considered, the alternations have been minor, and it's basically still the same damn tour. Missed opportunities, is how it should have been called. Or the next leg. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

I've been to hundreds of concerts and seen most of my favorite bands multiple times and they almost always play the same or very similar sets.  The biggest difference is usually they pepper in new songs which GnR doesn't really have lol.

I think the set was fucking awesome. We got so many cool and unexpected  songs like Coma, Shadow of Your Love, Slither, Used to Love Her, Yesterdays, Dead Horse, Locomotive, Double Talkin Jive, Whole Lotta Rosie.

When I saw them in Hershey 2017 they played over 3 hours and people still complain about the set, like they played 30 songs lol

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I've been to hundreds of concerts and seen most of my favorite bands multiple times and they almost always play the same or very similar sets.  The biggest difference is usually they pepper in new songs which GnR doesn't really have lol.

I think the set was fucking awesome. We got so many cool and unexpected  songs like Coma, Shadow of Your Love, Slither, Used to Love Her, Yesterdays, Dead Horse, Locomotive, Double Talkin Jive, Whole Lotta Rosie.

When I saw them in Hershey 2017 they played over 3 hours and people still complain about the set, like they played 30 songs lol

The shows from 2016-present would be a lot more fresh if like you said they rotated a few songs from possible new albums which even legacy acts do. It was basically necessary to add Absurd, Locomotive, Dead Horse, Hard Skool because it seemed like the same selection of songs for a few years. Just one or two new or rarely played songs freshens things up. If new music isn't on the horizon they can continue to dig back in their catalog because there's still some good songs that haven't been played in a long time.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mystery said:

The shows from 2016-present would be a lot more fresh if like you said they rotated a few songs from possible new albums which even legacy acts do. It was basically necessary to add Absurd, Locomotive, Dead Horse, Hard Skool because it seemed like the same selection of songs for a few years. Just one or two new or rarely played songs freshens things up. If new music isn't on the horizon they can continue to dig back in their catalog because there's still some good songs that haven't been played in a long time.

But didn't they do exactly that? We've seen Locomotive, Prostitute, There Was A Time, Dead Horse, You're Crazy, So Fine, Sorry, Madagascar, Used to Love Her, Shadow of Your Love, Absurd, Hard School (and a smattering of covers) all rotated in and out over the last five years. I mean, that still leaves a lot on the table, sure, but they don't have the biggest back catalogue in the world. You look at groups like The Stones or Kiss that have many more albums yet have played laregly the same sets for years, and it's better than people give them credit for.

I saw them in 2017 and 2018 and there were changes between those shows – Slither and Shadow of Your Love were added by the second one rolled around, one show had Don't Cry, the other Patience, one had Out Ta Get Me, the other Yesterdays, Duff did a different song in each show, and one was longer than the other...

And that was just the shows I went to, two out of however many they've done since '16. Others both before and since have had songs added or rotated in. They are making small changes here and there, but having the basic setlist largely the same is no different to many other major touring acts

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

But didn't they do exactly that? We've seen Locomotive, Prostitute, There Was A Time, Dead Horse, You're Crazy, So Fine, Sorry, Madagascar, Used to Love Her, Shadow of Your Love, Absurd, Hard School (and a smattering of covers) all rotated in and out over the last five years. I mean, that still leaves a lot on the table, sure, but they don't have the biggest back catalogue in the world. You look at groups like The Stones or Kiss that have many more albums yet have played laregly the same sets for years, and it's better than people give them credit for.

I saw them in 2017 and 2018 and there were changes between those shows – Slither and Shadow of Your Love were added by the second one rolled around, one show had Don't Cry, the other Patience, one had Out Ta Get Me, the other Yesterdays, Duff did a different song in each show, and one was longer than the other...

And that was just the shows I went to, two out of however many they've done since '16. Others both before and since have had songs added or rotated in. They are making small changes here and there, but having the basic setlist largely the same is no different to many other major touring acts

My key point is brand new songs. It's a shame there haven't been any. I wouldn't even expect a whole album to be performed but putting 3 or 4 new songs in a setlist is a direct reason for people to see them again.

They can still play all the hits but this would make them drop some of the covers. Its felt like one long tour since 2016. I give them credit for adding songs to the setlist especially since 2019. I don't know how many people thought they'd perform Absurd again or debut Hard Skool let alone release them as singles.

Those 2 songs oddly got more attention than any of the songs that made Chinese Democracy. Did Chinese Democracy get any singles? 

11 hours ago, Walapino said:

They have played plenty of different songs on the NITL tour, my only complain would be they should shake the order a bit. Change openers from time to time, change encores, change de order, etc. 

They did a bit. They put Coma in the encore for a few shows at the end of the last leg. It worked well opening the encore.

• Like 1

The interesting thing is their last show on October 3rd had 7 covers (5 if you exclude LALD and KOHD). Surely there's slots in there to place different songs in the future.

You could take away 2 of those covers (I Wanna Be Your Dog, Black Hole Sun, The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Slither) and put in a Guns song they haven't performed in years like The Garden , You Ain't The First, or Bad Obsession.

I give the band credit because they have done this. Locomotive was such a cool choice to pull out and shows Axl was willing to perform a song more casual concert goers might not know.

Some details on how the setlists have changed:

uten_120.png

The general trend since 2010 has been more from the Illusions and less from Chinese, which is understandable. The amount of songs from Appetite has fluctuated a bit, and there might be slightly more covers.

I think they are doing a good job on changing the setlists. They keep a core of songs they have to play, and then slowly replace the other songs with new songs (like Absurd and Hard Skool; sure, we'd like more new songs added but then they have to release more songs), old tracks and new covers. From the perspective of most concert goers, this is a killer setlist (although, perhaps a bit too long), from our perspective we would of course like more variation.

• Like 2

Putting the graph into words:

If we start with looking at Appetite. In the beginning, before the release of the album, the set was still dominated by sogs off this record, and after the release in 1987 it increased to around 70% of the sets. This dropped remarkedly after the release of the Illusions, naturally, when focus shifted to new material. Then in 2001, the amount of Appetite songs increased again, probably as a reflection of the iconic stature of this material, but dropped as more and more songs off Chinese was included. Since 2010, the amount of Appetite songs have hovered around 30% and from a set of about 23-25 songs, this must be considered core songs the band considers too important for concert-goers to drop.

They also played songs off the Illusions before its release (Don't Cry etc) but naturally these songs dominated in 1991-1993 after the albums' release, then they dropped remarkedly for the nuGuns era, replaced by more focus on classic Appetite songs and of course the new Chinese songs. Since then, the band has used the material on the Illusions for deep cut to introduce now and then, and the amount of songs off these records has increased to about 30%, the same as Appetite. These must be considered core songs and rotating deep cuts.

Chinese songs weren't played before 2001 and naturally had their peak in 2009, since then they have dropped off noticeably to around 10% today. As mentioned earlier, mostly replaced with deep cuts from the Illusions.

The band started off playing lots of covers, like most bands, but quickly replaced them with original material when they wrote Appetite in 1986-1987. Note, I do not count cover songs released by the band in this group (so Live and Let Die falls in the Illusions group). Only in 2006, did the band start adding new cover songs to their sets, and cover songs became a large fraction of the shows. Presumably because it is fun to play something else and new (and to our chagrin, why not then play something else and new made by themselves!?). The amount of such covers has increased slowly since 2006 and now hovers at about 10%.

If you are observant you might notice that about 10% of the sets is not accounted for, and that would be comprised of songs off Lies, Spaghetti and unreleased original songs.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1