the consistent setlist

On 12/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, ASLayerAODsk said:

So who else thinks the reason for the consistent setlist is cause of the screen show?

I do. It's such a stupid reason to kill all spontaneity in the show, but at this point it seems completely believable. Not that it matters at this point because I don't want to hear them butcher any more classic material anyway. But man, if you look at actual great artists like Pearl Jam, Springsteen or McCartney and the way they switch things up.... that's great stuff. Hell, even the Stones do it more than GnR. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, ASLayerAODsk said:

So who else thinks the reason for the consistent setlist is cause of the screen show?

This is just not a good excuse. 

Everything to do with concerts is pre programmed. From lighting to screen animations / film clips. 

Prior to the first night of any tour, eveything to do with the stage show is pre programmed for every song. So basically Axl, would just have to say "this song next" into the monitors and within a few mouse clicks, the whole stage is ready to go. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This is just not a good excuse. 

Everything to do with concerts is pre programmed. From lighting to screen animations / film clips. 

Prior to the first night of any tour, eveything to do with the stage show is pre programmed for every song. So basically Axl, would just have to say "this song next" into the monitors and within a few mouse clicks, the whole stage is ready to go. 

It still poses the problem that gnr is apparently incapable of playing something they dont have one of those (imo pretty bad) videos for. 

43 minutes ago, username said:

It still poses the problem that gnr is apparently incapable of playing something they dont have one of those (imo pretty bad) videos for. 

Nah....let's say that Axl just said "let's do One In A Million". The guys at the control desk could put the lights in listen mode and throw some generic video on the back wall and/or live camera shots. 

The show would run itself and more or less look as good as everything they pre programmed. The technology involved in everything about a concert is wayyyy more automated than people realize. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From someone who attends just about every show, I can't tell you what's next in the set list.  I can probably match the screen show and Axl's dance moves to the song but I see something new in those each time.   At the end of a three hour set list that has no intermission I'm not ready for it to end.

• Haha 1

Just now, cineater said:

From someone who attends just about every show, I can't tell you what's next in the set list.  I can probably match the screen show and Axl's dance moves to the song but I see something new in those each time.   At the end of a three hour set list that has no intermission I'm not ready for it to end.

You go to 'almost every show' and you don't know what song is coming next? You've got to be joking right?! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

You go to 'almost every show' and you don't know what song is coming next? You've got to be joking right?! 

Has to be joking. My wife hasn't been to a GN'R concert since 2016 and she could guess the next setlist with 95% accuracy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

They did a bit. They put Coma in the encore for a few shows at the end of the last leg. It worked well opening the encore.

I remember the energy that came when the band played at Metlife this tour and we got to the 4th song expecting WTTJ and we got slither instead followed by DTJ. We also got Absurd that night. That concert really did re-energise the fans.

I think the last tour wasn't too bad, we had the introduction of Absurd in its new form and Hard Skool, a few surprise shifts in the set here and there, a drip feeding of different songs such as Maddy, Shadow, Sorry and Coma.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

Er, no.  :lol:  I'm a little busy working it. 

So you work on the tour and don't know the setlist? Or is 'working it' some sort of street-slang? 

Either way, if you apparently attend almost every show (must be rather costly and time consuming, all that international jet-setting) and genuinely don't know an order of songs that has remained largely unchanged for 100s of concerts over 6 years or so then I fear for your memory. 

I think you might be on the wind-up here though! It"s too ludicrous otherwise! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

So you work on the tour and don't know the setlist? Or is 'working it' some sort of street-slang? 

Either way, if you apparently attend almost every show (must be rather costly and time consuming, all that international jet-setting) and genuinely don't know an order of songs that has remained largely unchanged for 100s of concerts over 6 years or so then I fear for your memory. 

I think you might be on the wind-up here though! It"s too ludicrous otherwise! 

No, I'm one of the people who go after the streams so the rest of the board can watch the shows live.  Believe me it's work.  I'm pretty good at it too.  I'm surprised you didn't know that.  I have a tone of posts in the show threads.  There's more ways then one to attend a GNR show. ;)

I have to say that you guys who start guessing at the set list and posting what you think is coming next totally fucks me up.  I see it and have to start checking all my links to make sure I'm posting live links and not something somebody just up loaded.  You mess with my head when you do that.  :lol:  I'm already panicked about finding or losing the streams.  Stay with me in real time.

You know, it's okay.  I've been listening to the same albums since the 70's and couldn't tell you the order of the songs or which albums a song might be on.  It's just not important information to me.  I am miserable at music trivia but I can sign along to most songs.  It's just how I enjoy music, not a big deal if I don't know.  It's not a test.

Edited by cineater
  • Like 2

Just now, cineater said:

No, I'm one of the people who go after the streams so the rest of the board can watch the shows live.  Believe me it's work.  I'm pretty good at it too.  I'm surprised you didn't know that.  I have a tone of posts in the show threads.  There's more ways then one to attend a GNR show. ;)

I have to say that you guys who start guessing at the set list and posting what you think is coming next totally fucks me up.  I see it and have to start checking all my links to make sure I'm posting live links and not something somebody just up loaded.  You mess with my head when you do that.  :lol:  I'm already panicked about finding or losing the streams.  Stay with me in real time.

You know, it's okay.  I've been listening to the same albums since the 70's and couldn't tell you the order of the songs or which albums a song might be on.  It's just not important information to me.  I am miserable at music trivia but I can sign along to most songs.  It's just how I enjoy music, not a big deal if I don't know.  It's not a test.

I never watch streams or really visit social media to be honest. I think concerts always seem a bit shitty on screen and it's all about the moment. Zero interest in that side of things I'm afraid. I'm not going to watch a concert and hold up a phone, or bother to watch a concert streamed on one as I'm definitely a 'get into the experience' person. 

I don't think many people need to 'guess' at the setlist these days! 

If you honestly can't remember the order of the songs, then fair enough. 

All things considered, and I did my fair share of bitching, but looking back on the setlist it's actually been pretty solid since the reunion. Yeah the bulk of it stayed the same. But never in a million years did I think we'd hear tracks live like Locomotive, Coma, Dead Horse, Shadow Of Your Love (of all fucking songs). Not to mention a good chunk of CD songs with Slash which I thought wouldn't happen ever. 

No doubt it's been diluted by a 75% identical core setlist but there's been some great gems in there. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 3:15 PM, koldbeer2 said:

I remember the energy that came when the band played at Metlife this tour and we got to the 4th song expecting WTTJ and we got slither instead followed by DTJ. We also got Absurd that night. That concert really did re-energise the fans.

I think the last tour wasn't too bad, we had the introduction of Absurd in its new form and Hard Skool, a few surprise shifts in the set here and there, a drip feeding of different songs such as Maddy, Shadow, Sorry and Coma.

MetLife was crazy. Biggest venue I’ve been to and it was full (despite what some will say who weren’t there).

Normally I prefer the small venues but the energy like you said was awesome and changed my view. Now I think I prefer either small or really big venues.

Like I said I hope they keep the same set list (the 75% that’s always the same). I love going knowing what I’ll hear.

Just like when I go see FF…Best of you, everlong, times like these, etc. 

• Haha 1

I'm just saying this was the Hershey 2017 setlist and it doesn't get much better than this...  It would be cool if they changed the order up more (which they started to do this tour so I would expect that more going forward) but the song selection and the songs they have swapped in and out is hardly a problem with me.  This was a killer set.

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

Double Talkin' Jive

Better

Estranged

Live and Let Die  

Rocket Queen

You Could Be Mine

Attitude  

This I Love