Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just had a Chinese takeaway as it happens so, watch this space...

you're late to the party. italian food is the new thing to avoid. not that I'm the least bit serious. people go all haywire about these things.

like, all these mouth masks selling out or for scalping prices. I've got the solution; I've got a hidden stash of these masks for times like these. you can have them for a mere 20 bucks each

81k0NovXgzL._SL1500_.jpg

I think we have seen so many movies and TV series with dramatic outbreaks of diseases, that we have become conditioned to expect that Armageddon is upon us. It jus seems like a plausible scenario when we spend more time watching Zombie movies than the news. 

Edited by SoulMonster

Just saw on the world news how many American companies depend on China for so many things. I hope we don't run out of medicines. 

The doctors need to try to find a cure for this virus or at least slow it down. Besides the US is still dealing with flu deaths. I can't stand worrying about this shit.

I wash my hands a million times a day but who knows what germs are on stuff you touch in stores and the air we breath? Very scary.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I can't stand worrying about this shit.

Well, you shouldn't. There is no need to. 

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I wash my hands a million times a day but who knows what germs are on stuff you touch in stores and the air we breath? Very scary.

Are you immunocompromised? Very old? Living in an area with many infected people? If the answer is no to any of these questions then you shouldn't waste one second worrying about this, because you are not in risk of anything! 

Clearly we should be worried about the virus. For Europeans, 400--500 infected in Italy! 55,000 quarantined! Some scientists seem to be urging the declaration of a pandemic: "many people would consider the current situation a pandemic, we have ongoing transmission in multiple regions of the world" (Prof Jimmy Whitworth, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51628753). 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Are you immunocompromised? Very old? Living in an area with many infected people? If the answer is no to any of these questions then you shouldn't waste one second worrying about this, because you are not in risk of anything! 

Having a drink, a cold, allergy or depending on medication like cortison can already surpress your immune system enough to be at risk. The speed it spreads in a couple of weeks, everyone will live in an area with many affected people. Even if your not at risk, many have loved ones, parents, sick, elderly they worry about.

I don't understand how if it stems from an animal, how come it does not spread to and among animals? Are animals immune or how does this work? Why bats of all animals and not say cats or dogs? Anyone got an idea/link?

@DieselDaisy As for not officially calling it a pandemic yet...once they do that, the game changes. It will affect the stock market as well as many laws.

Here's another conspiracy theory: Once the chaos peaks and economy is down and travel restrictions are in place that's when the cure will be presented - along with a microchip to make it "easier to track who is not putting others in danger" and make "the world a safer place" and such. Those who don't take the shot will not be allowed to travel or participate in public life much. so no official forced vaccination legally but the consequences of not taking it will be so dire and asymetric that everyone will eventually take it, resulting in total control and ultimate enslavement. If that's the world "they" have in mind they can have it...without me.

3 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I don't understand how if it stems from an animal, how come it does not spread to and among animals? Are animals immune or how does this work? Why bats of all animals and not say cats or dogs? Anyone got an idea/link?

Zoonosis. The pathogens mutate and cross species via diet, bites, ticks (or bumming haha). The horseshoe bat is the culprit here, a reservoir of SARS-like viruses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Having a drink, a cold, allergy or depending on medication like cortison can already surpress your immune system enough to be at risk. 

Anything that weakens you, makes you more susceptible to infections. But from the data we have available, this disease, like seasonal flu, mainly causes problems to old people or very weak people. If you are neither, then you are very likely to not have any more issues with this than with the flu.

The speed it spreads in a couple of weeks, everyone will live in an area with many affected people. 

Quite possible. But with "many" we are talking about around 1 % of the population (Norwegian health ministry's estimation). 

So we operate with a 1 % probability of getting infected. Then we are operating with a 0.2 % fatality rate of people between 10 and 39. So if you are between 10 and 39 and live in a country comparable to Norway when it comes to health care (which would be most of us, I presume), the probability of dying from this disease is 0.00002 %. That is equivalent to 2 out of 10 million. In Norway we have a population of 5 million. In other words we expect one person to die from this disease here in Norway, this year. We also expect about 30 to die in car crashes. And a few hundred will die from suicide. I mean, let's try to put things in perspective.

Every animal species that exist, no, every living creature that exist whether animal, plant, bacterium, etc, has a host of endogenous virus-borne diseases, diseases that are unique to that species. These diseases usually don't jump to another species, because they have been evolved to be very efficient at infecting their own particular host which means they will be less efficient at infecting other hosts. But very rarely a virus mutates that suddenly allows it to infect a new species; it jumps to another species. Usually this mutation or mutations will just be the first step in making it infectious to the new host, so it won't be very good at it. Often such mutations may make it less good at infecting its original host. But still, now we have a new type of virus that can infect two different host types. This limbo of existing as an infectious agent between two hosts usually doesn't last long, though, because it isn't very good at infecting either. But new mutations can make it better at infecting the new host, or make it revert back to only infecting its original host. In the former case we now have a virus that has jumped from one host organism to another.

This is very similar to how human HIV developed. It started as a simian virus (SIV), a virus that only infected chimps, that mutated to be able to infect humans too. Then it underwent additional mutations making it better at infecting humans and worse at infecting chimps. HIV had arisen.

Another example is swine flu, or the virus H1N1. Pigs, like other mammals, have their own version of influenza caused by their types if influenza viruses. These don't infect humans, just like human flu can't normally infect pigs. But then the pig flu virus underwent a recombination with a human flu virus (I believe), basically creating a new hybrid virus comprised of parts of the pig virus and parts of the human virus. This new virus, H1N1, could infect humans, and voila! swine ful (a flu originally from pigs but not infectious to humans) had evolved!

Bats seems to be a reservoir of many viruses that can mutate and infect humans. I don't know why. But a general reason why we see more and more such zoonoses today (the volution of a non-human virus to become a human virus) is that humans come into more and more contact with exotic animals that could be carriers of diseases that can potentially mutate to infect humans. The animals we have been around for thousands of years, like dog and cats and horses and chicken, have already given us those viruses they had through this process (rabies, salmonella, etc), and we have developed semi-immunity to them, so in that sense they are "spent". In other words, whatever innate viruses found in cats or humans have had plenty of time to infect us already. New species though, with new and exotic viruses, pose a larger danger in that they might not have evolved to infect us before, and hence we are more suspectible to infection from them when they arise.

This is also why such new viruses tend to originate in Africa and Asia, where encroachment upon new pristine wildlife areas are more common (and hence new contact between humans and exotic animals take place). An example of this is meat markets where bush meat is sold, or exotic pets are held in captivity. In addition, many countries in these regions have a very dense population and not very strong healthcare systems, meaning that a new and kinda impotent virus have better conditions for spreading despite it not being very infectious, allowing it time to evolve again to make it more infectious.

As for not officially calling it a pandemic yet...once they do that, the game changes. It will affect the stock market as well as many laws.

It has already affected the stock market, but yes, it will be affecting even worse.

Here's another conspiracy theory: Once the chaos peaks and economy is down and travel restrictions are in place that's when the cure will be presented - along with a microchip to make it "easier to track who is not putting others in danger" and make "the world a safer place" and such. Those who don't take the shot will not be allowed to travel or participate in public life much. so no official forced vaccination legally but the consequences of not taking it will be so dire and asymetric that everyone will eventually take it, resulting in total control and ultimate enslavement. If that's the world "they" have in mind they can have it...without me.

Yeah, this is so silly I can't even be bothered.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, downzy said:

It's fine everyone, relax.

Trump has put VP Mike Pence on it.  Nothing to worry about :P 

Pence is planning to halt the spread by never being in close proximity to anybody who isn't his wife. :lol:   

Edited by Dazey

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

then why did that popular chinese doctor die? he was young and healthy, to my eyes