Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

14 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Whether the pandemic is over is a matter of definition, the disease is certainly becoming endemic in the US and if you haven't had it yet, you certainly will.

It may vary state to state? All I know is that in my state last week, our cases were up 25%. We have like 2 new variants circulating now in the US. 

And as far as getting Covid, I have never had it....and maybe I will get it someday. Who knows, but it is not 100% ( I may be the lucky one!) and I am doing my best NOT to get it like masking indoors etc. I don't fuckin want it!

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

He came, he saw, he made a fool of himself. 

Only needed you to admit you can still get covid even after vaccination. Which you did. MAGA!

Oh BTW @SoulMonster all proof of negative test before entering the US for foreign travelers has been eliminated.  More proof that covid is over. Enjoy your trip to America!

Edited by 31illusions

48 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Oh BTW @SoulMonster all proof of negative test before entering the US for foreign travelers has been eliminated.  More proof that covid is over. Enjoy your trip to America!

Thank you! Too late for me, currently coming in over the Rockies. But a disease isn't over because restrictions are lifted. Happy things are progressing in the US, welcome after. 

On 6/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Wish covid was over but it's not. It's just that people want to get back to normal and I think it's rushing things yet again.

Guess everyone has to do what's best for them and their kids if you have any.

My department reported an outbreak last week. It’s frustrating.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ferma said:

My department reported an outbreak last week. It’s frustrating.

I know numbers are going up in Northern Texas again.  And not to mention our temps are in the 100's now.

And monkey pox is up too. What else can happen?

Oh yeah, Dallas had another shooting today and we are still mourning Uvalde and the Texas governor, cops are not telling the parents the whole story. It's like they are completely shut down and not talking at all.

They think Uvalde will forget and believe me that's not going to happen.  And the gun laws won't change for the better so more gun shootings will continue to happen.

Dr. Anthony Fauci tests positive for COVID-19

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fauci-covid-19-test-positive/

Fully Vaccinated and boosted twice and still got covid!

"Now Fauci joins a long line of federal officials who, even though they are vaccinated and boosted, tested positive for COVID-19."

Shove that up your corn-hole. That's why I'll never get the shot. It doesn't work and you've been lied to.

wow. Dr. Fauci has covid. The man is 81 and working from home. He has mild symptoms. Guess anyone can get covid although it seems like many people aren't even thinking about it much anymore. Hardly anyone here in Texas wear a mask anymore. it's just like everything is back to normal. NOT!

Good news. Kids under 5 can get vaccinated. Let's see how many parents actually get their little kids vaccinated. I have a bad feeling not many will.   Sad.

And the WHO have made monkey pox a health problem now. If it's transmitted threw sex, good luck. 40 years after HIV and AIDS stupid morons who don't protect themselves are still getting these diseases when you can avoid it by using your brain.

3 hours ago, 31illusions said:

"Now Fauci joins a long line of federal officials who, even though they are vaccinated and boosted, tested positive for COVID-19."

Shove that up your corn-hole. That's why I'll never get the shot. It doesn't work and you've been lied to.

We have been through this before: the vaccines only reduce the likelihood of getting infected. You act like you are a genius who have discovered a big problem with the vaccines that was hidden to the rest of the world while all of this is trivial and old news to everybody else. How much assistance do you need to function in your daily life? Are you able to clothe yourself and open doors?

But not only do the vaccines work in the sense that vaccinated are less likely to get infected, they also reduce the likelihood of getting seriously sick if you are infected. Hence, the vaccines both reduce the risk of getting the disease and then the risk of serious illness and death. Together that is pretty great and explains why vaccinated people don't die as much from Covid-19 as unvaccinated people. 

Developing these vaccines at the speed they were done is a scientific accomplishment almost without comparison. It is truly fantastic. But now I hear the world's scientists have now set themselves a loftier goal: finding a way to explain simple things to morons like you.  

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Guess anyone can get covid

Everybody WILL get Covid-19 just like everybody WILL get the cold or the flu sooner or later. These have become ubiquitous diseases. We are not able to eradicate the virus.  

I know this is really hard for some people, but let's not wish death on public officials because you happen to disagree with them (and also despite have zero credentials to do so).  

Consider this a final warning on the matter. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, 31illusions said:

It’s not that hard to understand that’s not how vaccines work. It’s really kinda easy: You’ll still get the virus. You’ll just get milder, less severe symptoms. You know? Like every other vaccine up until now? Lol. Like chickenpox, for example, or meningitis. It’s not that hard. The proof the vaccines work is people are getting covid like crazy, and are barely using masks anymore, yet deaths are really low compared to any past point of the pandemic. In other words, everyone’s getting it, no one’s dying from it anymore. 

I, at this very moment, have gotten COVID for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. I’ve been vaccinated twice and gotten a booster shot. All I have is a sore throat. Who knows how I’d be if my body hadn’t received the antibodies from these vaccines? I’m grateful. Praise science. 

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

It’s not that hard to understand that’s not how vaccines work. It’s really kinda easy: You’ll still get the virus. You’ll just get milder, less severe symptoms. You know? Like every other vaccine up until now? Lol. Like chickenpox, for example, or meningitis. It’s not that hard. The proof the vaccines work is people are getting covid like crazy, and are barely using masks anymore, yet deaths are really low compared to any past point of the pandemic. In other words, everyone’s getting it, no one’s dying from it anymore. 

I, at this very moment, have gotten COVID for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. I’ve been vaccinated twice and gotten a booster shot. All I have is a sore throat. Who knows how I’d be if my body hadn’t received the antibodies from these vaccines? I’m grateful. Praise science. 

false correlation

this is an example of how one set of data (less deaths) is falsely causally linked to another set (more vaccines)

another dataset (more and more people having built up natural immunity from infection) can just as easily be causally linked to lesser deaths

ultimately, this is the fundamental flaw in the scientific method. You start with a "desired outcome"; ie you want to prove that vaccines help against deaths, and then you declare that the lower death numbers are linked to the higher vaccine numbers. These two sets of data are, in and of itself, sufficient for scientists to make such bold claims. Sufficient, because that is all that science has: gathering data.

but even in the data gathering process, many inaccuracies happen. there are no measuring standards to measure "covid deaths"; the definition of covid death is different in each country. Also, there are many different vaccines being administered, but there is only one category: "vaccines", so here too it is difficult to apply this dataset to every vaccine individually. One vaccine works better than the other: a variable that is not accounted for in these statistics.

As churchill once said: the only statistics I trust, are the ones I falsified myself

Edited by action

5 hours ago, action said:

false correlation

this is an example of how one set of data (less deaths) is falsely causally linked to another set (more vaccines)

another dataset (more and more people having built up natural immunity from infection) can just as easily be causally linked to lesser deaths

ultimately, this is the fundamental flaw in the scientific method. You start with a "desired outcome"; ie you want to prove that vaccines help against deaths, and then you declare that the lower death numbers are linked to the higher vaccine numbers. These two sets of data are, in and of itself, sufficient for scientists to make such bold claims. Sufficient, because that is all that science has: gathering data.

but even in the data gathering process, many inaccuracies happen. there are no measuring standards to measure "covid deaths"; the definition of covid death is different in each country. Also, there are many different vaccines being administered, but there is only one category: "vaccines", so here too it is difficult to apply this dataset to every vaccine individually. One vaccine works better than the other: a variable that is not accounted for in these statistics.

As churchill once said: the only statistics I trust, are the ones I falsified myself

Misinformation and misleading from a person who knows nothing about science and health. The causality and mode of action of the Covid-19 vaccines were demonstrated in preclinical and clinical trial before market approval. 

• Like 2

the blind belief in science, has replaced the blind belief in church, of the middle ages.

where in the middle ages, people were not supposed to make religious claims unless they were a priest, bishop or pope, today people are not supposed to question scientific theories unless they are a scientist / expert themselves.

the enlightenment movement of the 18 century started out as a reaction to the church and its dogmas, and focused on the human as a rational, thinking being. Immanual Kant, a philosopher of that time, said that people should have the courage of using their own intelligence.

The initial, good intentions, are totally twisted 300 years later. And people are NOT allowed to use their own intelligence anymore, but need to accept the scientific (religious) dogma.

why is that?

the reason is, because with corona, terrorists, climate change, ukraine, there is a very high level of FEAR in society. The sense of social isolation, and undefined fear, needs to find a solution. People hate uncertainty, and fear. Initially, people do not really know what they are afraid of; they start with having an undefined feeling of distress and fear caused by social isolation.

When an object of fear is then proposed (a virus / putin / white heterosexual men), and at the same time a solution that is simple enough for people to understand (vaccines work / putin bad / white heterosexuals bad), then you see "mass formation", a blind belief in the common narrative.

Even if this narrative may seem absurd at times (keeping social distance of 1.5 meters prevents infection, toilet paper masks help to prevent infection), when it is brought by "experts", and is reportedly 'based on scientific research", then the mass does not question it, it stands behind the narrative as one block, and focuses its agression to people who try to criticise the narrative.

Even scientists, who want to criticise the common narrative, risk losing their jobs. Why would they set up experiments to question the narrative, and risk their jobs? it is naive to think, the scientific method can offset this phenomenon of mass formation. The scientific method as such is a good intention, but it is not real in practise. Science is business. Business uses science. This washing powder washes whiter than white 'as proven by scientific research'. Science is even used in marketing, because the mere mention of science works hypnotic to the people. The corona crisis was a fascinating learning school of mass formation.

• Haha 2

On 3/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, SoulMonster said:

So you believe that wearing facemasks have stopped the epidemic in China? And this is your proof that common sense beats scientific understanding?

Scientists across the world agree that these type of viruses have limited ability to be transmitted through the air. So hence all rational governments across the world say the same thing. 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, SoulMonster said:

No, everyone shouldn't wear face masks. Only people who handle sick people and thus where the probability of direct transmission is significant, should wear such masks. In fact, doctors are warning against the public wearing face masks because it can increase the probability of getting infected since you are more likely to touch your face if you wear a mask.

If you insist on wearing a face mask when you have no good reason to do so, you are at best an eccentric and at worse a moron.

Well, we can always blame parents for giving birth to morons but what's the point?

On 3/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, SoulMonster said:

Is only half your brain working, because you seem to absorb half of what is said ("face masks can prevent transmission if someone sneezes on you") but not the other half ("but for the public, wearing face masks can actually increase the risk of infection because it results in them touching their face more frequently and they don't tend to get sneezed at a lot")? I suppose you use whatever fits your predetermined opinions and reject everything that doesn't. As you always do. Way to go, there!

On 2/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, SoulMonster said:

No, the jury is in and they are ridiculous. You could perhaps say that the jury is stil out regarding their efficacy in preventing getting infected, but alas, they don't really make much change. As I said, the normal way of getting infected is getting the virus on your hands and then touching your face. Direct spread through the air is much more rare because apparently the virus hasn't got wings. So using such face masks when you are not sick has limited value, whereas it is really a good thing to do if you are already sick, because then you won't go coughing and sneezing and slobbering the virus onto surfaces where other people can get in contact with it.

That's why it is recommended that Welsh people wash their hand after fisting their favorite ewe. We don't want sheep flu to be a thing. Okay, that was totally random and irrelevant.

this is exemplative of what I was saying earlier. It's really funny. Absurd claims like "face masks can increase the risk of infection" (let me repeat that: increase the risk of infection) become totally believable, because they are claimed by an "expert".

"Direct spread through the air is much more rare because apparently the virus hasn't got wings" is a true gem.  the virus doesn't have wings, so it's all good. That's something that trump should say, but no, it's our resident expert uttering that little nugget of wisdom

should you doubt what is being said, in the name of science, then the expert assures us that "Scientists across the world agree that these type of viruses have limited ability to be transmitted through the air" (again, let me repeat that: "across the world"). This means that, at one time, ALL scientists, all over the world, were "convinced" that corona has limited capability transmitting through air.

So, if me as a considering civilian, should somehow have had access to all scientific data, read it and interpret it, I would have come to a fundamental wrong conclusion, potentially putting me at a high risk of being infected.