Your favourite Axl vocal moment either live or on an album ?

Rock in rio 91

They are playing Double talkin jive and Axl goes to a very long improvised rant about the poor comming down the hills at night and the rio de janeiro jungle and then ..."and if you don't watch your ass  you gonna dieeeeee" and at the last moment slash starts the riff of Welcome to the Jungle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustRnR said:

Maybe not the most impressive vocal performance but my favorite is a video that I can't seem to find on YouTube anymore. It is a video of  Axl and West playing The Garden at some bar.

Yeah that was incredible. Shame that there’s people in the bar talking loudly and not appreciating the musical genius in the corner of the room. It was  amazing young Axl in all his beautiful glory.

Civil War, Coma and Estranged from beginning to end on the UYI  albums.

SCOM outro from AFD is just from another world

SCOM Paris 1992

"Singing" from We Will Rock You

WTTJ intro Paris 1992

Free Falling

KOHD Rock AM Ring 2006

And I really like his vocals on Perhaps and State of Grace

The best voice I ever heard in my life at least for my ears...

41 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Civil War, Coma and Estranged from beginning to end on the UYI  albums.

These come to mind for me as well. I'll also add Don't Damn Me, since he uses a lot of different vocal techniques during that one song alone.

• Like 2

- On record: the last section of Rocket Queen - Oh My God - Under My Wheels - One in A Million - Hair of the Dog - Don't Cry

- Live: Sail Away Sweet Sister/Bad Time/SCOM outro Paris 1992 - Piece of Me (Rip Magazine concert with Skid Row and Metallica) - Paradise City (Freddie's Tribute Concert) - Nightrain (Argentina 1993)

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I don't know but he sounds absolutely amazing on the entire acoustic side of LIES...

Yes he does. His rasp and tone on that side of the album are unmatched IMO.

While ALL of it is amazing, I'm not sure any of the other acoustic songs top "You're Crazy" or "One in a Million" in terms of the sound of his voice.

I know this topic has been brought up and re-visited over the years just like it is now. So most are probably already aware that the irony of what you and I both said is that AXL reportedly never liked how he sounded on those songs. Which is utterly crazy to me.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, LandOla said:

Perfect crime, Indiana 1991

On 12/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, DanteStraviosky said:

Live: Perfect Crime Indiana 91.

Studio: There was a time high notes.

Great choice. But my favorite part of that performance is the anger, passion and energy he displays during the first few verses when he spins like a tornado and practically destroys the mic stand.

Classic AXL stage performance.

• Like 2

Alot of moments has already been mentioned here. Axl has his great moments whether in the studio or live. What I would like to name. It will be an unpopular opinion but I kind of like the voice that was recorded for Live Era e.g. Rocket Queen, Used To Love Her (the second half), Sweet Child O 'Mine or My Michelle.

I'm a fan of Axl Rose clean voice with aggression and a little bit of rasp like the AfD voice (wasn't full of rasp) or some bits of Live Era. That's why in my opinion the best voice of Axl Rose is Marquee '87

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:07 AM, JustRnR said:

Maybe not the most impressive vocal performance but my favorite is a video that I can't seem to find on YouTube anymore. It is a video of  Axl and West playing The Garden at some bar.

That was a clip from the MTV special. I had a shit ton of GNR stuff on a laptop that if I’d a bit of foresight I’d have gotten a hard drive and saved it all to it. It was axl at full rasp.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thunderram said:

Yes he does. His rasp and tone on that side of the album are unmatched IMO.

While ALL of it is amazing, I'm not sure any of the other acoustic songs top "You're Crazy" or "One in a Million" in terms of the sound of his voice.

I know this topic has been brought up and re-visited over the years just like it is now. So most are probably already aware that the irony of what you and I both said is that AXL reportedly never liked how he sounded on those songs. Which is utterly crazy to me.

That is absolutey crazy to me too.. Like you said, his rasp and tone is just the perfect balance.. I know people that don't even care for his vocal style but love that acoustic side of LIES..  I wish he sand like that alot more.. I feel like he came close to that magic the couple times they played "I feel good" a couple years ago.. He would sound so much better if he sounded like that on more songs..

• Like 1