20 years since the concert at The Joint , Las Vegas 2001

20 years ago, on December 29, 2001. Guns N’ Roses performed at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA.

Do we know for sure if this concert 12/29 (or 12/31 concert) was recorded or not? Do you think we will ever get at least an audio recording of this concerts? Pictures of Axl from that concerts (29. and 31. December), probably the best look of Axl ever. I think this is the holy grail for many CD era fans. 

Setlist Dec 29, 2001.

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2 .It's So Easy

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Live And Let Die,

5. Buckethead Guitar Solo

6. Oh My God

7. Think About You

8. You Could Be Mine

9. Sweet Child O' Mine

10. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

11. Out Ta Get Me

12.Madagascar

13. Rocket Queen

14. November Rain

15. Chinese Democracy

16. The Blues (Street of Dreams)

17. Buckethead Acoustic Guitar Solo

18. Patience

19. Silkworms

20. My Michelle

21. Paradise City

Setlist Dec 31, 2001.

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. It's So Easy

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Live And Let Die

5. Oh My God

6. Think About You

7. You Could Be Mine

8. Sweet Child O' Mine

9. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

10. Madagascar (New Year's Celebration with confetti and balloons)

11. November Rain

12. Out Ta Get Me

13. Buckethead Guitar Solo

14. Rocket Queen

15. Chinese Democracy

16. Buckethead Acoustic Guitar Solo

17. Patience

18. The Blues (Street of Dreams)

19. Silkworms

20. My Michelle

21. Nightrain

Encore:

22. Paradise City

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Like 4

On 12/29/2021 at 10:19 AM, Dean said:

There's a few users on here that were at both shows, one of whom said that both shows don't compare to the House of Blues 01.01.01 show, but even still, it deserves it's mythical status and I'd love to hear how Axl was vocally as there is a considerable change from the two circulating shows from 2001 to what he sounded like in '02. The last performances of Silkworms for 20 years too, how ABSURD?! 

I have the shirt from those two December shows and it ranks high in my favorite ever designs I've seen for a GNR tee. That said, 90% of the merch from 2001/02 was top tier IMO, I'm not really keen on much before it or anything after 2006 either.

Funny, the few accounts I have read here all say that, despite the technological hang-ups present in both shows - the band (particularly Axl) seemed much more "fired up" than they had during the 01/01/01 show and Rock in Rio. I always said that I long considered the 01/01/01 show my "holy grail" GN'R item, and we have it now, but I would definitely be intrigued to see anything footage/audio from the two shows at the end of 2001. All in all, crazy to remember there was a time (no pun intended) when technology was so different that two shows like this -at the height of Axl's "wilderness" years - could occur with little more than a few still photographs. Hell, I remember how insane it seemed in 2006 when 30-second cell phone video clips were the pinnacle of technology, and that was how most of us were initially exposed to the 2006 band and Axl's voice in that era (I can remember people thinking there were two new guitarists in '06 as Robin looked so different than he did in 2001/2002).  

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I think the show on 12/29/2001 had some technical problems that Axl wasn't too pleased about. At one of the shows he said that it was the first one he truly wanted to do since the 90's, implying he wasn't that enthused about the previous 2001 shows. Also interesting that after all the criticism of Axl looking "fat" in January, he shows up in December in the best shape of his life with washboard abs that he was clearly willing to show. It amazes me how much different he looked in 2002. I feel like he would've gotten a much better reception in 2002 if he kept the 2001 look instead of wearing hip-hop fashion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mystery said:

I think the show on 12/29/2001 had some technical problems that Axl wasn't too pleased about. At one of the shows he said that it was the first one he truly wanted to do since the 90's, implying he wasn't that enthused about the previous 2001 shows. Also interesting that after all the criticism of Axl looking "fat" in January, he shows up in December in the best shape of his life with washboard abs that he was clearly willing to show. It amazes me how much different he looked in 2002. I feel like he would've gotten a much better reception in 2002 if he kept the 2001 look instead of wearing hip-hop fashion. 

Still waiting to see those ‘washboard’ abs. 

2 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Still waiting to see those ‘washboard’ abs. 

He looked great at the Joint shows, washboard abs might be overselling it but it's not too far off. Unfortunately it looks like there's no audio or video for these shows even in the hands of collectors.

Another thing I wonder is what Axl was doing in 2001. Only details I've heard have come from Tom Zutaut. Axl when they reunited asked him if anything went on between him and Erin Everly which Zutaut denied.

Another story was Axl going to what he thought was a private screening of Black Hawk Down and being pissed that other people were there. Also had that NBA Finals appearance in June.

A couple more fun facts about these shows: Slash was staying at the Joint and was planning to attend a show, but was denied entry because management thought it would throw Axl off his game. Also Robin did a stage dive and crowd surfed at the end of one of these shows.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mystery said:

The December 31st show was Paul's last for Guns. Did he continue to work with the band after?

Axl said he was still involved in a writing capacity in 2008, but I’m not really convinced he’d have been around the band and I’d go as far as saying I doubt DJ Ashba ever met him. I hope Axl has written more tunes with him though as I’m a big fan of his contributions to Chinese. His name is next to some of the best songs on the record.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I was there for the 12/31/01 show, front row. Axl and the band were absolutely amazing. I can confirm Axl had the washboard abs. I believe he was in pretty much the same shape throughout 2002, just that he was wearing oversized jerseys that gave the illusion that he was overweight because of the width of the jerseys. 

Jake (@meandmyelvis) • Instagram photos and videos

Edited by DannyVinyard
pic of show poster 149/400
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

8 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

I was there for the 12/31/01 show, front row. Axl and the band were absolutely amazing. I can confirm Axl had the washboard abs. I believe he was in pretty much the same shape throughout 2002, just that he was wearing oversized jerseys that gave the illusion that he was overweight because of the width of the jerseys. 

Jake (@meandmyelvis) • Instagram photos and videos

That looks fucking amazing!

Here it is embedded:

image.png.5ebc11f4a6930362988a5a3f68d499ec.png

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

That looks fucking amazing!

Here it is embedded:

Thanks, Dean. I was trying to figure out how to embed it, but was not working for me. After this show, I was certain this band was poised to take over the world. Axl no-showing Philly 2002 and the tour being cancelled was a huge disappointment for me.  All that potential that this band had, gone just like that. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, DannyVinyard said:

Thanks, Dean. I was trying to figure out how to embed it, but was not working for me. After this show, I was certain this band was poised to take over the world. Axl no-showing Philly 2002 and the tour being cancelled was a huge disappointment for me.  All that potential that this band had, gone just like that. 

100%, Danny. Couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1