Do you still listen to Hard Skool and Absurd?

How often do you listen to Absurd and Hard Skool  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course not.

As the above poster says, Silkworms is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

HardSkool is ok at best, but I wouldn't go out of my way to put it on.

And if/when this question is asked next year.

Of course not.

Atlas is one of the blandest songs I've ever heard.

Perhaps is ok at best, but I wouldn't go out of my way to put it on.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

For all the shit that CD got for being cut/pasted together, these singles sound even less organic. Slash's guitar tone sounds good, but these sound like Frankenstein songs IMO.

It sounds exactly like what it is - NuGNR featuring Slash.

Can you imagine what Atlas Shrugged is going to sound like?

It already sounds pasted together by WinRar

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

Can you imagine what Atlas Shrugged is going to sound like?

It already sounds pasted together by WinRar

I've said it before, but I'm really glad we got to hear the early version with Brian May. It was definitely underwhelming but I'm glad to have it.

I imagine the version with Ron already sounded like a mess (like Catcher) and I don't think more tinkering could possibly help the song... but if they end up releasing a song about Robin leaving, with Slash playing on it, it'll be pretty funny.

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've said it before, but I'm really glad we got to hear the early version with Brian May. It was definitely underwhelming but I'm glad to have it.

I imagine the version with Ron already sounded like a mess (like Catcher) and I don't think more tinkering could possibly help the song... but if they end up releasing a song about Robin leaving, with Slash playing on it, it'll be pretty funny.

I'm glad we heard it - just a shame it's dreadful!

It's definitely not what some had built up in their head!

I've a feeling it'll be the same with The General (if we ever get to hear it).

Edited by Pele

2 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I'd listened both once or twice only on their release dates. Used to listen to Silkworms a lot 20 years ago. Same for Hardschool when it came out with Village Sessions.

Give me a 'real' and 'legit' new track and I'll listen everyday for the next 5 years.

You'll take what you get and love it! ;)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Pele said:

I'm glad we heard it - just a shame it's dreadful!

It's definitely not what some had built up in their head!

I've a feeling it'll be the same with The General (if we ever get to hear it).

I don't think The General will be the next 'Estranged' or anything but we know the basic melody and we know it's a Buckethead song, so I don't think it'll be a bad song. It would be a shame if it suffers the same fate as Hardschool and Absurd, and we never actually get to hear a Buckethead version (through leaks, a box set or whatever).

Atlas has some decent moments - Brian May sounds great and the drums are really good, but overall it's mediocre.

I wonder if Axl ever wrote/recorded a second verse for Perhaps. Do you think it was one of the songs he finished in the mid-2000s, or have we already heard all the vocals?

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think The General will be the next 'Estranged' or anything but we know the basic melody and we know it's a Buckethead song, so I don't think it'll be a bad song. It would be a shame if it suffers the same fate as Hardschool and Absurd, and we never actually get to hear a Buckethead version (through leaks, a box set or whatever).

Atlas has some decent moments - Brian May sounds great and the drums are really good, but overall it's mediocre.

I wonder if Axl ever wrote/recorded a second verse for Perhaps. Do you think it was one of the songs he finished in the mid-2000s, or have we already heard all the vocals?

I'd guess you've already heard the completed vocal take.

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Unfortunately after the release of Absurd I'd guess you're right. I like the Village version, but it could be a great song with another verse and a proper mix. Robin's solo is really good though.

Yeah it had potential.  Probably left off Chinese as it was deemed 'unfinished' and there was intent to do a second verse at some point rather than just repeating.

My guess is that plan was abandoned over 15 years ago, and you'll likely hear it in the next release.

Same with HardSkool IMO - two small verses with the chorus repeated 5 times!

People use Perhaps/HardSkool as some sort of evidence he has good songs left in the locker, and as proof there was a plan for more albums.

I think they were left off Chinese as they were deemed unfinished at the time, and now unfortunately they've been 'upgraded' to finished given that there are no other viable options to release.

I actually dread to think the state 'The General' is actually in.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah it had potential.  Probably left off Chinese as it was deemed 'unfinished' and there was intent to do a second verse at some point rather than just repeating.

My guess is that plan was abandoned over 15 years ago, and you'll likely hear it in the next release.

Same with HardSkool IMO - two small verses with the chorus repeated 5 times!

People use Perhaps/HardSkool as some sort of evidence he has good songs left in the locker, and as proof there was a plan for more albums.

I think they were left off Chinese as they were deemed unfinished at the time, and now unfortunately they've been 'upgraded' to finished given that there are no other viable options to release.

I actually dread to think the state 'The General' is actually in.

Hardschool didn't really need another verse, but the intro and solo went on a bit too long. It should always have been a short, fast rocker, like the CD equivalent of Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime, etc.

They trimmed some of the fat on the single, but it's still a mess.

I'd add Going Down and State Of Grace as evidence there's good songs left in the locker though :P and if the leaks have proven anything, it's that we don't really have any clue what's in the vault...