Ashba says Axl didn't do anything with his demos

22 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

To be honest, I'd like to hear the song that both Axl and Bach thought was really cool. I assume Axl still has the rights to that song? So I guess in theory it could be one of those songs that this current band has been working on.

I assume it’s 100% Ashba rights. 

2 minutes ago, drlaban said:

I assume it’s 100% Ashba rights. 

Why hasn't he given the song to Bach then? Why hasn't he used it himself? Kinda dumb to just talk about how cool the song is, if you're not going to use it. Unless of course it's in Axl's vault, which would explain why he hasn't done anything with the song.

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

So Ashba was Axl’s first choice over Richard for NITL. Pitman was given the chance of staying on too.

Things could have been so much worse.

When Fernando was asked the last time he was on here, he seemed to rather mock the notion that DJ Ashba was ever considered for the reunion, so I don't know what to believe about it:

I'm glad Ashba wasn't part of the reunion. If there was going to be another guitarist then I'd have much rather have had Bumble stay but he was out at that point anyway. I think the reunion lineup has shown that Fortus' chops are much better than Ashba's (something his tour with Thin Lizzy in 2011 also showcased) and I'm sort of baffled why he wasn't made the second lead guy in 2009, with Ashba mainly handling rhythm. It always struck me that Ashba was mainly brought in for his writing chops, considering the success of his work with Crue/Sixx AM. I think he could have written a radio friendly hit song for Guns. 

It's interesting re the rights to demos. I wonder if there are any barriers to Tommy releasing Going Down on a solo record. I guess there's nothing stopping him playing it live if he wanted to. The fact that Ron said (if I remember correctly anyway) that some of the songs on Little Brother is Watching were originally Guns ideas implies they can do what they want with them. Having said that, there's a difference between an idea you just have and a demo that's submitted to Axl.  

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

So Ashba was Axl’s first choice over Richard for NITL. Pitman was given the chance of staying on too.

I'd assume that Axl would have wanted 3 guitarists as I doubt he'd have kicked Richard to the curb for DJ. Ability speaking, of course. Pitman was IN the band until he got on the drink and went on Twitter rambling about everything about the band and affectionately calling the forum 'Dildoes'.

7 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Can you imagine? Would've been even more of a joke than what we ended up getting.

Although I will say that I feel bad for him that Sixx A.M. never ended up doing what he thought they would do, that must've been really disappointing. 

Edited by MaskingApathy

I very much doubt Axl actually wanted him to stay on, seems like he was just letting him know tbh. I've also always been under the impression that Axl wasn't impressed with most of what was handed over and this confirms it. Was the same with Bumblefoot it seems.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

It always struck me that Ashba was mainly brought in for his writing chops, considering the success of his work with Crue/Sixx AM. I think he could have written a radio friendly hit song for Guns. 

My guess is that the reasons Ashba was brought in didn't have so much to do with either his writing ability or his guitar chops. I think he was chosen because he was a relatively known name and had an image that could be appealing to a younger audience, so that he could be a "star" in the touring band. The fact that he's from Indiana may have had something to do as well; Axl seems to feel a bond with people who are from there.

It's interesting re the rights to demos. I wonder if there are any barriers to Tommy releasing Going Down on a solo record. I guess there's nothing stopping him playing it live if he wanted to. The fact that Ron said (if I remember correctly anyway) that some of the songs on Little Brother is Watching were originally Guns ideas implies they can do what they want with them.

Tommy said he wished he could take Going Down back, so he doesn't own the rights to it.

Having said that, there's a difference between an idea you just have and a demo that's submitted to Axl.  

Yes, that's it.

• Like 2

Yeah the reason Tommy can’t get Going Down back is probably because it was written & recorded on Guns time. I highly Doubt DJ or Ron have any songs like that because I highly doubt any new songs were written/recorded since they joined the band, especially not any written by them.

• Like 2