Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

16 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I think that ultimately none of them really can capture the same amazingness apart as they could together, just either elements or basic skeletal versions of what could *potentially* be given the GNR greatness bump

With Izzy's solo material you have the skeletal aspects of what could be turned into some nice bluesy rockers or acousticy type jams such as AFD and Lies

With Axl you have the scope of epicness he wanted to go for, and the overall grander visions but only sometimes could reach the heights he did with old GNR

Slash has the riffs, overall rocking vibe and his signature guitar sound and style in every aspect, that screams GNR

With Duff, similar to Izzy but to a slightly lesser extent

Yes, it's all very obvious, actually. Too bad they don't fully seem to realize it themselves.

Duff's bass playing is a unique component of the GNR sound. Didn't actually realise how important it was until I was messing round on a P bass one day and fired it through a chorus pedal. I was like "oh hello there!" Paid a closer listen that night and I was somewhat surprised he had passed me by as a bassist.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 9:04 AM, Blackstar said:

Well, there are writing credits on the database of Universal Music Publishing, and the credited writers are Axl, Slash, Duff, Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese. But since the press release said it was written by Axl, maybe the NuGnR helped arrange it and now Slash and Duff rearranged it.

There is something off about these HardSkool credits.

HardSkool was written in full prior to the reunion, we know the from the locker leaks.

Recording a slightly different bass line and recording a guitar solo over an existing melody/riff doesn't constitute a songwriting credit.

One of the following has happened:

HardSkool originates from when Slash/Duff were still in the band

-or-

They've falsely credited Slash and Duff to the credits.

I believe the latter.  It's quite possible they were obligated to release 'new' songs written and performed by Axl/Slash/Duff, and as Axl was unwilling to record anything new, they've had to resort to just falsifying songwriting credits now.

the former may be true as per the Jackie Chan movie link.  In which case, that might be a clue as to why it was left off Chinese Democracy.

1 hour ago, Pele said:

HardSkool was written in full prior to the reunion, we know the from the locker leaks.

Recording a slightly different bass line and recording a guitar solo over an existing melody/riff doesn't constitute a songwriting credit.

I mentioned this earlier, and, typically, you'd be right.  These contributions would usually constitute accompaniment, and, therefore, not worth of a writing credit, HOWEVER, two things:

- The attribution of additional writing credits is often down to the primary writer(s).  If the writer feels a certain part is integral to the work, they can offer up part of the writing royalty as compensation.

- In this particular case, I BELIEVE (my opinion - not presenting as verifiable fact) part of the reunion agreement would have involved guaranteed writing credits for Slash/Duff in exchange for working on previously existing material written by prior members.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I mentioned this earlier, and, typically, you'd be right.  These contributions would usually constitute accompaniment, and, therefore, not worth of a writing credit, HOWEVER, two things:

- The attribution of additional writing credits is often down to the primary writer(s).  If the writer feels a certain part is integral to the work, they can offer up part of the writing royalty as compensation.

- In this particular case, I BELIEVE (my opinion - not presenting as verifiable fact) part of the reunion agreement would have involved guaranteed writing credits for Slash/Duff in exchange for working on previously existing material written by prior members.

Yes, I think that is a strong possibility.

Which could become a bone of contention for past members.

For example, if Silkworms was a Rose/Reed/Pitman song.

I'd imagine Pittman being frustrated with it now being a Rose/Hudson/McKagan/Reed/Pitman credit - unless the dilution came from Rose's share.

I've kinda assumed Pitman only contributed the intro and they took it off so he didn't receive credit.

Also yeah it's kinda obvious that Slash and Duff are getting credit because they are in the band now and there's been new legal stuff organised. I don't think that can really be considered a theory lol.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yes, I think that is a strong possibility.

Which could become a bone of contention for past members.

For example, if Silkworms was a Rose/Reed/Pitman song.

I'd imagine Pittman being frustrated with it now being a Rose/Hudson/McKagan/Reed/Pitman credit - unless the dilution came from Rose's share.

Pitman is likely a unique case.  Speculating again, but, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that part of his settlement involved a NDA, an agreement to never seek further compensation, and a buyout of any and all writing credits, past and future.

As for the rest of them, any past members' credits are probably secure via prior arrangements and contracts, though, I suppose they could have also been bought out as they left, seeing as it's probably much easier to have a contract re-worked for an employee (which they all were), as opposed to an officially vested band member. 

I'd love to learn more, in that regard.

Based on @Blackstar's wonderful research, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Axl had a minimum of 50% of any and all songs written by the CD-era band.  As of this moment, I'd venture a guess that any Slash/Duff songwriting royalties are provided by Axl's portion, though, I obviously have no proof of that.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Pitman is likely a unique case.  Speculating again, but, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that part of his settlement involved a NDA, an agreement to never seek further compensation, and a buyout of any and all writing credits, past and future.

As for the rest of them, any past members' credits are probably secure via prior arrangements and contracts, though, I suppose they could have also been bought out as they left, seeing as it's probably much easier to have a contract re-worked for an employee (which they all were), as opposed to an officially vested band member. 

I'd love to learn more, in that regard.

Based on @Blackstar's wonderful research, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that Axl had a minimum of 50% of any and all songs written by the CD-era band.  As of this moment, I'd venture a guess that any Slash/Duff songwriting royalties are provided by Axl's portion, though, I obviously have no proof of that.

Can you buy out credits like that?

If Rose lost everything and sold his credits - he'd still be listed as the writer of November Rain and Estranged.

I'd agree with your last paragraph - it appears Rose has a reserved 50% stake in every song.  If Going Down had been on CD he'd have probably taken 50% of that.

4 hours ago, Pele said:

One of the following has happened:

HardSkool originates from when Slash/Duff were still in the band

-or-

They've falsely credited Slash and Duff to the credits.

I believe the latter.  It's quite possible they were obligated to release 'new' songs written and performed by Axl/Slash/Duff, and as Axl was unwilling to record anything new, they've had to resort to just falsifying songwriting credits now.

the former may be true as per the Jackie Chan movie link.  In which case, that might be a clue as to why it was left off Chinese Democracy.

Credits are a bit more fluid than I thought when I first started learning about how it worked years ago - really anyone could give anyone songwriting credits for any reason - hell even Prince gave his dad co-writing credits on some of his songs merely just to give his dad a little extra money. 

If Axl, or now the band as a whole, feel like the song as it exists now, exists due to Slash's specific new guitar additions, Duff's new bassline and work on it, and what not, they will get legitimate songwriting credit

43 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Credits are a bit more fluid than I thought when I first started learning about how it worked years ago - really anyone could give anyone songwriting credits for any reason - hell even Prince gave his dad co-writing credits on some of his songs merely just to give his dad a little extra money. 

If Axl, or now the band as a whole, feel like the song as it exists now, exists due to Slash's specific new guitar additions, Duff's new bassline and work on it, and what not, they will get legitimate songwriting credit

What if Huge disagrees?

What if he presents evidence of the song prior to Slash/Duff and it becomes clear Slash/Duff didn't write it?

Wondering how they are allowed to dilute the actual writers down?

Edited by Pele

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I've kinda assumed Pitman only contributed the intro and they took it off so he didn't receive credit.

Also yeah it's kinda obvious that Slash and Duff are getting credit because they are in the band now and there's been new legal stuff organised. I don't think that can really be considered a theory lol.

The intro was gone while Pitman was still in the band. The Absurd single is almost exactly the same as the demo given to Bumblefoot 15 years ago. So, they didn't cut the intro just to spite Pitman, but they probably settled the credits (with one lump sum payment) when he sued them in 2016.

19 minutes ago, Pele said:

What if Huge disagrees?

What if he presents evidence of the song prior to Slash/Duff and it becomes clear Slash/Duff didn't write it?

If there was any legal sketchiness, lawsuits will be imminent so I am assuming either all parties agree on the credits and terms, or past members contractually when they entered or left GNR agreed to let the band as it exists after they leave, to use their material

I am not a lawyer or anything so this is just what I am assuming is occurring, because ultimately if there isn't any lawsuits or issues, and we as fans don't factually have much behind the scenes "who wrote what" info, it is hard to decisively say "__ isn't getting what they are owed credit-wise"

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The intro was gone while Pitman was still in the band. The Absurd single is almost exactly the same as the demo given to Bumblefoot 15 years ago. So, they didn't cut the intro just to spite Pitman, but they probably settled the credits (with one lump sum payment) when he sued them in 2016.

Yeah I wasn't trying to imply they cut it to spite him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Funny, I was thinking about a similar situation before.   Eddie Hazel from Parliament/Funkadelic often had his songwriting credits listed under G. Cook or Grace Cooke so that his Mother received his share of royalties.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pele said:

What if Huge disagrees?

As Robert Meyer Burnett often says, "It ain't show friends, it's show business, and, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

Sounds a bit deflating, and, it shatters some of our illusions about the entertainment industry, but, it's the truth.

Just about anything can be drafted into a contract, and, if all parties agree, it's legally binding.

As Whazup said, if anyone took issue with any of this, they'd likely be in court.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 5:11 AM, Blackstar said:

The two songs that have been released so far were not written by their replacements.

You can argue Silkworms was written by Pittman but wasn't Hard School written when Robin was on the band? Is he not Slash's replacement? 

• Like 1