Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

I don't mind if they drip feed songs in this way.

While I accept that it does point towards creative bankruptcy within the group as a unit, those old "unused" songs deserve to be heard and they've done genuinely interesting things when repurposing Absurd and HS (although I personally prefer the Freese-era version of HardSkool).  People will disagree, but I don't think either song tars the bands legacy.

To my mind this release when-they're-ready approach is to some degree fan service that should be welcomed - it says to me that they've kind of accepted the fact that maybe releasing an album won't have the cultural impact Axl may once have wished for - but they're at least still willing to put out stuff to keep the fans happy - heritage bands are increasingly not bothering anymore.

That said, I'd be surprised if we hear any "new" CD era songs until much later this year - my guess is that if we do hear anything from the vaults all the emphasis will be on the Use You Illusion reissue stuff in the run up to the summer European shows.

Edited by SilverMachine
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I wonder how Pele will explain this?

Unbelievably easy to explain.

He tried his best to avoid questions:

"You know, that’s a whole other interview!"

"Hmm. I don’t know. Like I said, that’s another interview. That involves a whole other mind-set to get into."

Then he answers in a way which supports why I believe my suspicion is correct.  They were obligated to release 'new' songs that consisted of Axl/Slash/Duff - at this point, they really don't give a f**k who is on drums on the recording, it's irrelevant.

"The bass and the guitars are all re-done, for the most part, but the original drums are still intact, and the vocals."

Then he touches on what I suspect - there will be more of this crap (which will be Atlas, Perhaps or OMG - just wait and see!)

"There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak"

If there are enough of these old leftovers, we might even get to release something!

"we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid."

Typical, non-committal, vague waffling

"I really don’t have the vantage point to be able to have that perspective. I’m just not able to sort of objectively look at it like that. It’s just what it is. But it’s cool. I’m enjoying working on the stuff and having a good time doing it."

None of this interview should surprise anyone.

The approach is very clear - finish the songs Axl has because he won't do new ones. "It’s just that Axl wanted to get this material done because it was sitting there. "

This is a good interview, as he completely addresses the plan - which is to release the material Axl has.  I have been consistent and clear what I believe Axl has - and that is The General, Perhaps, OMG, Atlas so I catergorically believe next will be one of those.

I don't believe he has Zodiac, Moustanche, Tonto, Cuban Skies, Monstrosity, D-Tune, Curly Shuffle, Rebel, ReadDoll, Billionaire, Dub Suplex, Thyme, PRL, Seven so I categorically don't believe it will be one of those.

Some deluded fans believe he has all of the above and it will be pure coincidence that Atlas or Perhaps is next!

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Would love to see Pele's reaction if they put out Soul Monster or Seven with complete vocals this year. :lol: Think I'd enjoy that more than the song at this stage tbh.

If that happens I'll be absolutely stunned, and will have been proven completely wrong.

Equally - I can't wait for them to put out Atlas or Perhaps - and still listen to some of you try and convince everyone he has other completed material.

• Like 4

A good interview and a positive one in regards to more songs being released between that the UYI stuff coming out it adds a bit more excitement.
But I hate to be THAT person with a bit of negativity but this is something that could’ve been done a few years ago and they could already be looking at writing new songs by now. But it is what it is and getting the other CD era songs out the way was probably always going to be the way to go. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

"Mental trajectory."
"The vantage point to be able to have that perspective."
"Sort of objectively look at it..."

For the love of god, man. 

"That’s a whole other interview!"

Well, make it, then! 

Exactly!

He can't make it.  Like I always say - they are told to be optimistically vague.

I think he's inadvertently revealed too much here (under duress as he tried to dodge the question).

He now says beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no new songs - but they've 'the songs Axl had lying around'.

We are now going to see EXACTLY what Rose has lying around and (objectively) by process of elimination, what he doesn't.

I'm absolutely delighted with this interview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think anyone would be! :lol:

But regardless if what qualms Slash may have  doing it this way, the important thing to me is that it is getting done!

New music! Woo-hoooo!

Atlas Shrugged with a Slash solo!  Woo-hoooo! :sleeper:

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

It's a shame that Slash talking about new GN'R material is much the same as the nuGuns guys talking about it in terms of not really going into specifics and trying to dodge the questions. I had hoped that things would be different post-reunion. Good news that new singles are coming out. Any GN'R material is good material at this point really. It is a bit of an elephant in the room considering that genre wise his solo stuff is the same as Guns so those songs could be Guns songs but the fact they're not implies that no new new material will be out. 

The wording re the album's a bit vague though - it could be read two ways:

a) Once they've put an album's worth of singles out they'll release them as an album.

b) A few more singles until an album's worth of stuff is good to go and then a whole album will drop. 

If it is option a it reminds me of what Billy Corgan had planned with Teargarden by Kaleidyscope way back when. Indeed, at the time (late 2000s) there was talk that records were dead and that putting odd songs out now and again was the way forward. It didn't take off though. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

We are now going to see EXACTLY what Rose has lying around and (objectively) by process of elimination, what he doesn't.

That logically impossible :lol: Only if they release all the leftovers can we conclude what they didn't have. But how can we ever know they have depleted the vault?

And hasn't your favored argument been that there is no more material, because only that can explain why they released something, in your opinion, as weak as Absurd? :lol: Believing they release the best first, how do you explain Absurd before Hard Skool?

Edited by SoulMonster

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

"Stop listening to what these people say and trying to dissect their language! They are clearly briefed to keep it optimistically vague. Keep the illusion of a normal working creative band alive whilst being non-committal on numbers of songs, song titles, potential releases etc.!

You're going to be so triggered when the next result is Atlas Shrugged with 99 vocal Stop quoiting interviews, that include several things that didn't come true (such as follow up albums).

There is nothing left except General, Perhaps and Atlas. The rest is an illusion to maintain interest in a nostalgia act.

There is no album but he can't say that - so gives vague nothing answers, which some of you will use as some sort of 'proof' that an album is imminent.

And what about when they release Atlas and Perhaps - and absolutely nothing else? How many years do you think will pass by before you accept the reality? Rose is creatively bankrupt."

Perfect response!  Almost as if I'd typed it myself!

Be honest - how desperate are you for it to be something, anything we haven't heard before!

And how devastated are you gonna be when it's Atlas or Perhaps?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

I think he's inadvertently revealed too much here (under duress as he tried to dodge the question).

He now says beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no new songs - but they've 'the songs Axl had lying around'.

But this part we already knew. He has clearly said it before in the other interview, so he doesn't "reveal" anything about that in this interview.

What he does say in this interview, though, is the "entire record's worth of material," which clearly means that there is an album's worth of material (of CD leftovers, of course, no one says otherwise) and not just four songs.

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

Perfect response!  Almost as if I'd typed it myself!

Be honest - how desperate are you for it to be something, anything we haven't heard before!

And how devastated are you gonna be when it's Atlas or Perhaps?

First of all, I don't think we will only be hearing two more songs. Slash talked about a record, and even including Absurd and Hard Skool that suggest we are getting 6+ additional songs. As for how "devastated" I would be if among these are Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps: Not devastated at all. Why would I be? I don't mind those songs at all. I am curious as to how they sound now and I think there is a lot of potential in them. Bring them on, I say. 

That being said, I am not as convinced as you that Perhaps are among the songs we will hear. Atlas, almost definitely. it almost ended up on CD. The rest is a complete mystery to me.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That logically impossible :lol: Only if they release all the leftovers can we conclude what they didn't have. But how can we ever know they have depleted the vault?

And hasn't your favored argument been that there is no more material, because only that can explain why they released something, in your opinion, as weak as Absurd? :lol: Believing they release the best first, how do you explain Absurd before Hard Skool?

Who knows.

My best guess is he has 2 left that were reasonable well recieved (Hardskool, Perhaps) and 2 that people didn't like as much (Silkworms, Atlas) so he's decided to pair one gooswith one bad as the double releases.

At this point who cares.

Slash said they are going to release the songs Axl has lying round.  We are gonna see what they are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh cool!

So they are gonna release the songs Axl has lying about.

And if they release Atlas, OMG, Perhaps, General and not mention the rest - you'll still believe the complete and utter fairytale that all of those other songs existed?

Whatever.  Slash says they are releasing the songs Axl has.  Let's take him at his word and see what they happen to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Pele said:

Who knows.

My best guess is he has 2 left that were reasonable well recieved (Hardskool, Perhaps) and 2 that people didn't like as much (Silkworms, Atlas) so he's decided to pair one gooswith one bad as the double releases.

At this point who cares.

Slash said they are going to release the songs Axl has lying round.  We are gonna see what they are.

Who cares about what he has left? I think we all do. And you have obviously cared enough to post quite a few dozen posts on the matter, arguing fiercely that we will only get to hear Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps and Oh My God.

But now that it is becoming (even more) clear there is more to come, it suddenly become "who cares". That's funny.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Who cares about what he has left? I think we all do. And you have obviously cared enough to post quite a few dozen posts on the matter, arguing fiercely that we will only get to hear Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps and Oh My God.

But now that it is becoming (even more) clear there is more to come, it suddenly become "who cares". That's funny.

No - I mean who cares about the reaoning behind Silworms being before HardSkool.

It's cards on the table now.  We're gonna see what songs Axl had lying about. THAT I care very much about!

It's you that's funny.  It's you that's gonna try and shrug it off when it's Perhaps, Atlas or even OMG.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

Just now, Pele said:

And if they release Atlas, OMG, Perhaps, General and not mention the rest - you'll still believe the complete and utter fairytale that all of those other songs existed?

What other songs? I have never said anything about what other songs existed. My argument has always been that there is at least another album's worth of songs more or less finished. I have never been stupid enough to adamantly say which songs those are, because I can't possibly know.

What Slash is saying here, and what he has said before, perfectly aligns with my belief, and with what we have heard from numerous other people over the last decade or so: When CD was released they had lots of additional songs, some of which had vocals. We don't know exactly what these songs were, but based on what existed in 2001 and what we have heard since then, these songs might be among them: Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged, The Soul Monster, The General, Goin' Down, Quick Song, Nothing, Eye On You, and State of Grace. But again, we don't know, and any of these can have been abandoned and any additional song (from the Village leaks or not) may have been included. What Axl has done with this material since then, is also a complete unknown, so we don't really know what songs Slash has worked on. But what we can be quite confident about, is that we will get to hear quite a few additional songs, and that is reason for me to be quite happy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

No - I mean who cares about the reaoning behind Silworms being before HardSkool.

Oh, but you do. Or, you did. Because one of your weird arguments has been that since Absurd is released, the rest of the material must be really shitty. It is amusing that the fact that Hard Skool was released afterwards stumps you into "who cares" territory. A rational perhaps would just discard the theory and admit that Absurd coming first says nothing about the quality of the next songs.

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

We're gonna see what songs Axl had lying about. THAT I care very much about!

No, what we will se is what songs Axl wants to put out next. That's all we will get to see. Because if Axl has more than an album of songs "lying about", we might not get to hear them all. 

Just now, Pele said:

It's cards on the table now.  We're gonna see what songs Axl had lying about.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

What other songs? I have never said anything about what other songs existed. My argument has always been that there is at least another album's worth of songs more or less finished. I have never been stupid enough to adamantly say which songs those are, because I can't possibly know.

What Slash is saying here, and what he has said before, perfectly aligns with my belief, and with what we have heard from numerous other people over the last decade or so: When CD was released they had lots of additional songs, some of which had vocals. We don't know exactly what these songs were, but based on what existed in 2001 and what we have heard since then, these songs might be among them: Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged, The Soul Monster, The General, Goin' Down, Quick Song, Nothing, Eye On You, and State of Grace. But again, we don't know, and any of these can have been abandoned and any additional song (from the Village leaks or not) may have been included. What Axl has done with this material since then, is also a complete unknown, so we don't really know what songs Slash has worked on. But what we can be quite confident about, is that we will get to hear quite a few additional songs, and that is reason for me to be quite happy.

Ok - so now you're agreeing with me?

The album might be Atlas, Silkworms, Perhaps, HardSkool, General, Going Down (Tommy) - and maybe, just maybe he finished Quick Song, SOG and Monstrosity?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pele said:

It's you that's gonna try and shrug it off when it's Perhaps, Atlas or even OMG.

I will not have a problem with these songs coming. Why would I? I have never argued that we will get brand new songs, written after the "reunion". I fully expect old Axl songs, and if it is songs I have heard before, I wouldn't be too surprised.

What would bother me is only getting three more songs, not what songs they are. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, but you do. Or, you did. Because one of your weird arguments has been that since Absurd is released, the rest of the material must be really shitty. It is amusing that the fact that Hard Skool was released afterwards stumps you into "who cares" territory. A rational perhaps would just discard the theory and admit that Absurd coming first says nothing about the quality of the next songs.

No, what we will se is what songs Axl wants to put out next. That's all we will get to see. Because if Axl has more than an album of songs "lying about", we might not get to hear them all. 

Yeah - I was interested.

Now I'm not, as this interview provides clarity.

We are going to see what songs Axl has lying around.

Just now, Pele said:

The album might be Atlas, Silkworms, Perhaps, HardSkool, General, Going Down (Tommy) - and maybe, just maybe he finished Quick Song, SOG and Monstrosity?

Yes, of course. Not unlikely at all. And I have never said anything else.

Our disagreement lies in your fanatical belief that Axl never recorded vocals after 2001 that we haven't heard, and your fanatical belief that we won't get another album but just 2-3 additional songs.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I will not have a problem with these songs coming. Why would I? I have never argued that we will get brand new songs, written after the "reunion". I fully expect old Axl songs, and if it is songs I have heard before, I wouldn't be too surprised.

What would bother me is only getting three more songs, not what songs they are. 

Because I've been saying for over a year that all he completed are Atlas, Perhaps and General.

If he releases other stuff (particularly songs I've categorically said I believe don't exist) - I'll have been proven completely wrong.

The hilarious thing is he's gonna release Atlas and Perhaps, and you're STILL gonna be deluded enough to think he has more.

• Like 1