Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

Because day after day, for over a year, you've been telling me I'm wrong.

What I have been saying is how absurd you are to be sore sure Axl hasn't recorded vocals you haven't heard, and how absurd you are to dismiss the possibility of an entire album's worth of material being released. That's what I have been saying. You might be conflating me with someone else. But please dig up a quote where I say you are wrong about something else and we can discuss that. 

Just now, Dean said:

Do you think two more songs and that’s it? Done?

Yes.  Unless they want to do another tour and fancy a bigger guarantee - then we'll get General/OMG or re-released versions of existing Chinese songs with Axl's original vocal

Just now, SoulMonster said:

What I have been saying is how absurd you are to be sore sure Axl hasn't recorded vocals you haven't heard, and how absurd you are to dismiss the possibility of an entire album's worth of material being released. That's what I have been saying. You might be conflating me with someone else. But please dig up a quote where I say you are wrong about something else and we can discuss that. 

You said there is much more.

I say there isn't.

That kind of sums it up.

We're gonna see if there was 'much more' or EXACTLY what I've said (which you have been arguing about for a year now)

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

If now you're saying he can release EXACTLY what I've said he'd release and nothing more - and you'd still believe I was wrong, you might as well stop interacting.

Well, it depends on the circumstances, surely. If they just release Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps and then they all - DJ, Tommy, Richard, Dizzy, Bumblefoot, Beta, Susan, Slash, etc - come out on record and say they lied and that nothing else existed and it turns out parts of the Village leaks were faked and Eye on You, State of Grace, Nothing, didn't exist, and Axl comes out and say he lied about The Soul Monster, and it turns oout The General is a big hoax too, then I will be the very first to say, "Wow, what do you know, turns out Pele was right after all." 

Haha. 

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

You have absolutely no conviction in your belief, so stop wasting day after day, week after week defending Rose's honor.

That actually made me laugh loudly. What century are you from, again?

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

You said there is much more.

I say there isn't.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

We're gonna see if there was 'much more' or EXACTLY what I've said (which you have been arguing about for a year now)

As I have stated numerous times, that an illogical argument, and I don't know why you keep repeating it, likely either because you don't care or because you don't understand that it is.

• Like 1

I'm excited, even if I wasn't the biggest fan of the mix on Hard Skool. I loved ABSURD but the drum sound on Hard Skool was way too overprocessed, not Frank's fault. Wonder whose drums they'll go with for Atlas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, it depends on the circumstances, surely. If they just release Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps and then they all - DJ, Tommy, Richard, Dizzy, Bumblefoot, Beta, Susan, Slash, etc - come out on record and say they lied and that nothing else existed and it turns out parts of the Village leaks were faked and Eye on You, State of Grace, Nothing, didn't exist, and Axl comes out and say he lied about The Soul Monster, and it turns oout The General is a big hoax too, then I will be the very first to say, "Wow, what do you know, turns out Pele was right after all." 

Haha. 

That actually made me laugh loudly. What century are you from, again?

At this point you're insane.

We know about State of Grace (great song, vocals nearly finished), Nothing (just a basic idea of vocal melody) and Eye on You (weird rap demo).

And that's my point.

That's the vault.  All those other songs, unfinished songs, some songs with vocals, some without etc that the band members have spoken about - they are General, State of Grace, Silkwoms, Perhaps, Nothing, Atlas, Eye On You, Oklahoma, Zodiac, Thyme etc etc.

This has been my point over and over.

Over and over, you've argued against it.

Now we're about to see what those songs are.

Just now, Pele said:

At this point you're insane.

We know about State of Grace (great song, vocals nearly finished), Nothing (just a basic idea of vocal melody) and Eye on You (weird rap demo).

And that's my point.

That's the vault.  All those other songs, unfinished songs, some songs with vocals, some without etc that the band members have spoken about - they are General, State of Grace, Silkwoms, Perhaps, Nothing, Atlas, Eye On You, Oklahoma, Zodiac, Thyme etc etc.

This has been my point over and over.

Over and over, you've argued against it.

Now we're about to see what those songs are.

*yawn*

Just now, SoulMonster said:

*yawn*

You lost.

We are gonna see 'the songs Axl has lying around' which you've been assuring everyone is much more than the village sessions.

They are about to drop the 2 remaining finished songs from the village sessions.

You lose.

• Haha 1

Just now, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Oh, another Sweersa vs Pelé thread. How boring.

But well, I'm 100% positive for the next release. :slash:

Strange.  Sweersa hasn't interacted yet.

Are you expecting El Hernano to be one of the drip fed songs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jw224 said:

Nobody is invested in this Pele. You're the only one that actually cares enough about it to write posts like this one lol. The rest of us will continue to have our opinions without trying to make it some weird competition that no one else wants to take part in. 

Oh please.

You mightn't have wanted to take part, which is fine - but he's embarrassed himself here.

He's responded to every single post I've made, telling me I'm wrong (which is absolutely fine on a forum based on GNR opinions).

Now it's finally been spelled out - they are gonna release the songs Axl has lying about (which I've been ridiculed for listing).

We are gonna see if they match my list.

He should be elated.  If he thinks he's right, I'm about to be proven wrong in a big way!

Sounds a lot like an interview from 1995/1996... but we'll probably get music and more touring this time. Slash is not bowled over by how Axl wants to make the next GNR record, BUT he's going to go ahead with it anyway.

At least this will shut @Peleup once and for all🤣

• Like 1

I think the debate over whether there's an album's worth of material (i.e. ten songs) is pointless at this point. We know, just from what we've heard and read over the years, that there is:

01. Hard Skool (officially released)

02. Absurd (officially released)

03. Oh My God (officially released way back when on the soundtrack, additions by Bumble - needs new parts by Slash & Duff) 

04. Atlas Shrugged (completed song - needs new parts by Slash & Duff)

05. Perhaps (completed song - needs new parts by Slash & Duff)

06. The General (completed song - played at that club - needs new parts by Slash & Duff) 

07. Eye on You (sounds like it needs some work - Slash & Duff can finish it off)

08. State of Grace (sounds like it needs a fair amount of work - Slash & Duff can finish it off)

09. Nothing (sounds like a rough demo - sure Slash & Duff can do something around the vocals)

10. Soul Monster (structurally sound and good to go rhythm wise - Axl said he recoded vocals - just needs some overdubs from Slash & Duff )

That's an album's worth of stuff based on a very conservative estimate.  Add in Oklahoma if that ever got vocals and Going Down if they're that pushed (get Duff to do the vocals or maybe there's a take with Axl singing lead). I wouldn't be surprised if an album comes out if it's a bit like the Chinese release - mainly songs we know about but a couple of ones we don't. The 2019 leaks date from 2001/2 and so it's not a great indicator of what's actually finished. 

What strikes me as a bit mad in all of this is that it seems like Slash and Duff are effectively doing what Queen did with Made in Heaven - i.e. completing a record around pre-recorded vocals and turning rough takes into songs. Difference is that Axl is alive and well and could record new vocals and finish the songs if he wanted to! 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

I think the debate over whether there's an album's worth of material (i.e. ten songs) is pointless at this point. We know, just from what we've heard and read over the years, that there is:

01. Hard Skool (officially released)

02. Absurd (officially released)

03. Oh My God (officially released way back when on the soundtrack, additions by Bumble - needs new parts by Slash & Duff) 

04. Atlas Shrugged (completed song - needs new parts by Slash & Duff)

05. Perhaps (completed song - needs new parts by Slash & Duff)

06. The General (completed song - played at that club - needs new parts by Slash & Duff) 

07. Eye on You (sounds like it needs some work - Slash & Duff can finish it off)

08. State of Grace (sounds like it needs a fair amount of work - Slash & Duff can finish it off)

09. Nothing (sounds like a rough demo - sure Slash & Duff can do something around the vocals)

10. Soul Monster (structurally sound and good to go rhythm wise - Axl said he recoded vocals - just needs some overdubs from Slash & Duff )

That's an album's worth of stuff based on a very conservative estimate.  Add in Oklahoma if that ever got vocals and Going Down if they're that pushed (get Duff to do the vocals or maybe there's a take with Axl singing lead). I wouldn't be surprised if an album comes out if it's a bit like the Chinese release - mainly songs we know about but a couple of ones we don't. The 2019 leaks date from 2001/2 and so it's not a great indicator of what's actually finished. 

What strikes me as a bit mad in all of this is that it seems like Slash and Duff are effectively doing what Queen did with Made in Heaven - i.e. completing a record around pre-recorded vocals and turning rough takes into songs. Difference is that Axl is alive and well and could record new vocals and finish the songs if he wanted to! 

Great list!

But you forgot Thyme, a finished song too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pele said:

the next two songs are either Atlas/Perhaps/General - you're name is PeleWasRight1

If not, I leave?

Too safe. How sure are we that it'll be 2 songs? 

How bout this if they release at least 1 of atlas/Perhaps/general NEXT. If one of em is next regardless if they changed the title. I'll change my name to Pelewasrightbutstillamassivetool69

Otherwise you're gone? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Great list!

But you forgot Thyme, a finished song too.

Thanks! True! Sounds more like the intro track to an album though but it would bring the track count up. I guess my point is that it's silly to say there's not enough for a record (and we know Axl sat on a record's worth of stuff in 2002). Plus, the four discs from 2001/2 don't include four songs that made it onto ChineseSorry (only an instrumental), Shackler's (only an instrumental), Scraped (not on there at all) and This I Love (not on there at all). Therefore, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there's more out there (and indeed we know there is because The General's not on the 2001/2 discs). 

Personally though my opinion ( based on nothing but a gut feeling) is that there are those ten and maybe a few extras. I'd love to believe all the instrumentals have vocals but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I think the bottom line is that it's foolish to just use the 2001/2 tracks as a guide but I can see the logic in them putting out the most completed songs first because they require less work. Absurd and Hard Skool sounded mixed and good to go so minimal work from Slash & Duff really. Although, having said that, Slash did write new riffs for Absurd (I guess the later version with Bumble could have been more guitar heavy though). 

Edited by BassistSeb