Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

I don't understand Slash's answer. Didn't he say a few years back that he keeps riffs specifically for potential GnR songs? Now he says the way GnR does an album is they collectively sit around and shoot off ideas, something he notes hasn't been done yet, so if he referring to the OLD way they did things 30 years ago? Very strange response ... 

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

I don't understand Slash's answer. Didn't he say a few years back that he keeps riffs specifically for potential GnR songs? Now he says the way GnR does an album is they collectively sit around and shoot off ideas, something he notes hasn't been done yet, so if he referring to the OLD way they did things 30 years ago? Very strange response ... 

Yeah, I'm sure I recall an interview from around the time of the first reunion shows that he said he was keeping stuff aside for GN'R. I wouldn't be surprised if that was genuinely the case though, considering most reunited bands put out a comeback album eventually (even Queen did it in 2008). I imagine it's the same as with Bumble though in that he put stuff aside for GN'R, got tired of waiting and then put it out solo. I am surprised that he's kept the solo band up which says it all in terms of how likely properly new material is.  

2 hours ago, Pele said:

Paints a very clear picture.

Singer of a world famous rock band becoming singer of another world famous rock band.

Lead guitarist said "I don’t think we ever really discussed it,

Too busy emailing his Atlas Shrugged guitar solo to Caram Castanzo's assistants, as per instruction from Fernando's PA.

Genuine question, do you actually like Guns? Not joking, i just cant imagine a fully grown adult coming to the board to spend time being like you are. Do you have any songs by gnr you like or have you ever seen them?

• Like 1

Even if the fan theory is true that Axl hasn’t done anything since Village, he’s at least recorded vocals for The General (cause clips with vocals leaked and people like Baz have talked about it), Soul Monster (cause Axl talked about recording vocals for the bridge, at least) and Zodiac (cause it was labeled as “w/o vox” on the discs so that means a version with vocals likely exists).

So that leaves us with Hard Skool, Absurd, Atlas, Perhaps, Eye On You (hopefully with the “mac daddy” part removed), The General, Soul Monster and Zodiac.

And even if something like Zodiac doesn’t actually have vocals, they can just swap it with OMG.

So eight songs. A little short, sure, but remember that this is basically now gonna be a compilation of singles, rather than a studio album proper. They’ll probably release three more “split singles” like the Hard Skool/ Absurd thing and then group them all together.

I left off “sketch” songs like State of Grace, Quick Song and Nothing cause as of now we have no evidence that Axl ever recorded proper lyrics for those.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pele said:

Now it's finally been spelled out - they are gonna release the songs Axl has lying about (which I've been ridiculed for listing).

Nobody has been saying otherwise. Since the first interview Slash has been saying they are going through Axl's stuff. It's been "Spelled out" for years at this point and is what most of us have been expecting since the reunion first happened. The fact you seem to be celebrating is rather odd, nothing has changed with this interview. As I said before, this is very much you being emotionally connected to an argument that nobody else wants to be involved in. There's disagreement and debate, then there's making posts that start with "You lost", as if anyone was even involved in your imaginary race. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Even if the fan theory is true that Axl hasn’t done anything since Village, he’s at least recorded vocals for The General (cause clips with vocals leaked and people like Baz have talked about it), Soul Monster (cause Axl talked about recording vocals for the bridge, at least) and Zodiac (cause it was labeled as “w/o vox” on the discs so that means a version with vocals likely exists).

So that leaves us with Hard Skool, Absurd, Atlas, Perhaps, Eye On You (hopefully with the “mac daddy” part removed), The General, Soul Monster and Zodiac.

And even if something like Zodiac doesn’t actually have vocals, they can just swap it with OMG.

So eight songs. A little short, sure, but remember that this is basically now gonna be a compilation of singles, rather than I studio album proper. They’ll probably release three more “split singles” like the Hard Skool/ Absurd thing and then group them all together.

I left off “sketch” songs like State of Grace, Quick Song and Nothing cause as of now we have no evidence that Axl ever recorded proper lyrics for those.

Yeah since the HS EP was announced I've assumed they're gonna do the whole drip feed the singles thing, I think it'd annoy me if I was actually waiting on anything from them anymore. I'm pretty much in the "If it happens I'll enjoy it" camp now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

It cracks me up how people like MSL Mojo/Warchild made their name speaking in this vague, Axl/knock-off style of writing/speaking, and now @Pele comes in and does a knock-off of their knock-off. 

As much as I dislike MSL, he had actual stuff and backed it up. He leaked songs, and the infamous 2011 incident was definitely real (the content, not necessarily the circumstance).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The two singles are obviously the best momentum we have had since 2008 in terms of material (duh, its actual released material). I don't think it is that shocking that there is more to come. If Axl wants to just do the singles approach to get the CD2 stuff out of the way, great! Who cares at this point if it isn't released as an actual studio record?

Hopefully we get-

1. Absurd
2. Hard Skool

3. The General
4. Perhaps

5. Atlas Shrugged
6. Soul Monster

7. Quicksong
8. Zodiac

9. Tonto
10. Oklahoma/Berlin

I think something like that with each tour leg is doable. Maybe swap in other titles like Ides of March and Seven. Who knows?

Maybe not ALL of that, but it is fun to speculate. Absurd, Hard Skool, and The General clearly had versions ready to go in around 2008, I don't think it is a stretch to imagine others, as well. I do think this is it, though. It is a good way to get the CD leftovers released but I do not think Axl has it in him to actually craft an all- new record with this lineup.

Damn you picked all my favourite leaks, except for Atlas (soap TV advert music). Replace it with SOG and we'll have a really, really good album.

However with the speed with which they're releasing these, we'll have all these tracks by 2027 lmao.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Damn you picked all my favourite leaks, except for Atlas (soap TV advert music). Replace it with SOG and we'll have a really, really good album.

However with the speed with which they're releasing these, we'll have all these tracks by 2027 lmao.

Atlas is forgettable but it is certainly going to come out so I included it. Hopefully OMG doesn’t take up a slot since that is an officially released song.

I’d be way more excited about the above than the new SMKC album. I don’t think Slash is putting out amazing or creative music now, so might as well work on CD2. That’s just me, though

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

A good interview and a positive one in regards to more songs being released between that the UYI stuff coming out it adds a bit more excitement.
But I hate to be THAT person with a bit of negativity but this is something that could’ve been done a few years ago and they could already be looking at writing new songs by now. But it is what it is and getting the other CD era songs out the way was probably always going to be the way to go. 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

"Could have been done years ago" summarizes Guns N' Roses in many ways. Hey, there's a good album title for the next one.

I agree

Thanks @Blackstar for the quotes :)

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Atlas is forgettable but it is certainly going to come out so I included it. Hopefully OMG doesn’t take up a slot since that is an officially released song.

I’d be way more excited about the above than the new SMKC album. That’s just me, though

But why is Atlas more certain to come out than SOG? I think they'll both come out. Both have vocals in the can and just need Slash and Duff to redo the music.

3 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

My two cents is that the album is already done (based on the codes that we discussed a few months ago), and that they’ll keep releasing singles until some point in the future when we get the full album.

Agree. Slash probably did all the new guitar parts in a few recording sessions. And we know he recorded for Hard Skool and Absurd during covid, some time before the tour started in H2 of last year.

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

But why is Atlas more certain to come out than SOG? I think they'll both come out. Both have vocals in the can and just need Slash and Duff to redo the music.

Because we know Atlas was considered for inclusion on Chinese Democracy, we know Bumblefoot worked on it, there has been more buzz around Atlas which could mean that Axl is more interested in it, and because while we know Atlas was finished, we have no clue what might have happened to State of Grace.

• Like 1

Slash: Yeah! There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak

Given that the interview probably was conducted at least a month ago, the "as we speak" part makes me think that maybe they intended to release another song in late 2021, but then they decided to push Hard Skool a little more instead, hence the lyric video/NFL promotion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The SoG vocals we have are sketch vocals at best, and there’s no evidence to suggest Axl has touched the song since 2000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Agree. Slash probably did all the new guitar parts in a few recording sessions. And we know he recorded for Hard Skool and Absurd during covid, some time before the tour started in H2 of last year.

Because we know Atlas was considered for inclusion on Chinese Democracy, we know Bumblefoot worked on it, there has been more buzz around Atlas which could mean that Axl is more interested in it, and because while we know Atlas was finished, we have no clue what might have happened to State of Grace.

Is there hard evidence to suggest both HS and Absurd were done during Covid? My guess is that HS is the song that Slash worked on at Axl’s house in 2019 that his tech accidentally mentioned on social media. HS was already on the setlist in 2019, well before Covid became a pandemic. The rest, tho? Yeah those were all probably done during Covid.

Edited by rocknroll41

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Is there hard evidence to suggest both HS and Absurd were done during Covid? My guess is that HS is the song that Slash worked on at Axl’s house in 2019 that his tech accidentally mentioned on social media. HS was already on the setlist in 2019, well before Covid became a pandemic. The rest, tho? Yeah those were all probably done during Covid.

I was just going by this part of the section:

Will these songs be on the new Guns N’ Roses album? Or do they at least give an indication as to how that album is shaping up?

Slash: Hmm. I don’t know. Like I said, that’s another interview. That involves a whole other mind-set to get into. Basically, the material [Absurd and Hard Skool] was there, and I just got in there during covid and re-did the guitars, Duff did the bass, and we went from there and just put it out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Slash remembers it wrong, though, and the work on these songs happened earlier. Or maybe he worked on some other songs earlier. 

• Like 1